Non-locality and The First Law of Thermodynamics

In summary, there is a belief in the physics community that non-locality is necessary for the 1st Law of Thermodynamics to hold true. This may require additional spatial dimensions to maintain the total amount of energy. However, there is some disagreement and further research is needed to fully understand the role of non-locality in the 1st Law of Thermodynamics.
Dennis Plews
I'm sure I read somewhere in my physics books that non-locality is required in order to maintain the integrity of the 1st Law of Thermodynamics. Is that correct? If so, that seems to require one or more additional spatial dimensions via which the total amount of energy is maintained. What information is available on that issue?

Physics news on Phys.org
Dennis Plews said:
I'm sure I read somewhere in my physics books that non-locality is required in order to maintain the integrity of the 1st Law of Thermodynamics. Is that correct?

It would be helpful to know exactly what source you are referring to. But the short answer is: No, it's not correct.

I think it was a general audience book by either Feynman, Weinberg or Gell-Mann.

What is the role of the 1st Law of Thermodynamics in non-locality interactions then? Thanks

Related to Non-locality and The First Law of Thermodynamics

1. What is non-locality?

Non-locality is a concept in physics that refers to the ability of particles to have instantaneous correlations or interactions with each other, regardless of the distance between them. This phenomenon is often described as "spooky action at a distance" and has been observed in quantum mechanics.

2. How does non-locality relate to the first law of thermodynamics?

The first law of thermodynamics states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or converted from one form to another. Non-locality challenges this law by suggesting that energy can be transferred instantaneously between particles, regardless of the distance between them.

3. Is there scientific evidence for non-locality?

Yes, there is strong experimental evidence for non-locality in quantum mechanics. In 1964, physicist John Bell proposed a test, now known as Bell's theorem, that showed the existence of non-local correlations between entangled particles. This has been confirmed by numerous experiments, including the famous 2015 experiment by the Delft University of Technology.

4. Can non-locality be explained by classical physics?

No, non-locality is a phenomenon that can only be explained by quantum mechanics. In classical physics, the idea of instantaneous interactions between particles at a distance is not possible. Non-locality is a key feature of quantum mechanics and has been confirmed by numerous experiments.

5. How does the concept of non-locality impact our understanding of the universe?

Non-locality challenges our traditional understanding of causality and the limitations of space and time. It suggests that there may be hidden connections between particles that we are yet to fully understand. This has significant implications for our understanding of the fundamental laws of physics and the nature of reality.