Non-homogeneous 2nd order linear ODE help

In summary, when solving a nonhomogeneous differential equation, we use the multiplication by t method on the exponential terms that are already present in the homogeneous solution, but not on the sinusoidal terms that are not present in the homogeneous solution. This is because the multiplication by t method introduces additional solutions to the homogeneous equation, and we want to avoid repeating solutions that are already present.
cdotter

Homework Statement

[tex]y''-3y'+2y=t e^{2t}+sin(5t)[/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I can get as far as this:

[tex]y_h(t)=c_1 e^{2t} + c_2 e^{t}[/tex]
[tex]y_p(t)=At e^{2t} + B e^{2t} + C sin(5t) + D cos(5t)[/tex]

My professor says we multiply [itex]At e^{2t} + B e^{2t}[/itex] by t to give [itex]At^2 e^{2t} + B t e^{2t}[/itex] because it's in the original equation. Why do we do this to the exp terms and not the Csin(5t) term, because that also shows up in the original equation?

Physics news on Phys.org
Has something to do with that one of them is your homogeneous solution (ie if you put it in, you will get LHS = 0)

It also has something to do with a product rule between t and e^2t, but I am not sure how it all works out.

Do you have a link I could read explaining this? I tried looking at my textbook but my professor doesn't really follow the book, and the book is very difficult to understand. :(

cdotter said:

Homework Statement

[tex]y''-3y'+2y=t e^{2t}+sin(5t)[/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I can get as far as this:

[tex]y_h(t)=c_1 e^{2t} + c_2 e^{t}[/tex]
[tex]y_p(t)=At e^{2t} + B e^{2t} + C sin(5t) + D cos(5t)[/tex]

My professor says we multiply [itex]At e^{2t} + B e^{2t}[/itex] by t to give [itex]At^2 e^{2t} + B t e^{2t}[/itex] because it's in the original equation. Why do we do this to the exp terms and not the Csin(5t) term, because that also shows up in the original equation?

The explanation is on the long side, so I'll try to give a shorter explanation using an example. Suppose your DE was y'' - 2y' = t.

The characteristic equation is r2 - 2r = 0, or r(r - 2) = 0, or r = 0, or r = 2. An idependent pair of solutions to the homogeneous equation is y1 = e0, and y2 = e2t

Let's look at the diff. equation in terms of operators, where D means d/dt and D2 means d2/dt2, and so on.

The original equation can be written as (D2y - 2D)y = t, or (D2 - 2D)y = t.

To get rid of the t on the right side, we can use the D2 operator - the 2nd derivative of t is zero. Applying the D2 operator to both sides, we get
D2(D2 - 2D)y = D2t = 0.

The equation above is now fourth order, but is homogeneous.

The char. equation of this new equation is r2(r2 - 2r) = 0, or r3(r - 2) = 0. The solutions are r = 0 (of multiplicity 3) and r = 2.

A set of linearly independent functions is {e0, te0, t2e0, e2t} = {1, t, t2, e2t}.

The functions 1 and e2t are solutions to the homogeneous form of the original equation (i.e., y'' - 2y' = 0). These two, plus the other two, t and t2, are solutions to then new homogeneous fourth degree equation. What this means is that we should try t and t2 for our particular solution of the nonhomogeneous equation y'' - 2y = t.

Notice that nothing happened with our other solution to the original homogenous equation, e2t. The reason we added t and t2 to our original solution 1, was because of repeated solutions r = 0 in our fourth order homogenous equation. Since there was no repetitition of the factor r - 2 in any of the characteristic equations, we don't have multiples by t of e2t.

In your problem, a similar thing happens. r = 2 is a solution to the characteristic equation, and the addition of te2t on the right side of the nonhomogeneous equation raises the multiplicity of the r - 2 factor.

Your equation could be written as (D2 - 3D + 2)y = te2t + cos(5t). In factored form on the left, this is (D - 1)(D - 2)y = te2t + cos(5t).

The operator that annihilates the cos term on the right is D2 + 25. The operator that annihilates the te2t term is (D - 2)2. The problem is that there is already a D - 2 term in the original, nonhomogeneous equation, so applying enough operators to annihilate the right side adds two more factors of D - 2, bringing the repetitions of this factor up to 3 in all. Adding a factor of D2 + 25 added something that wasn't already there, so there's no change in the repetitition of existing factors in the operator equation, which BTW, should look an awful lot like the characteristic equation.

So, we are taking your 2nd order nonhomogenous equation and turning it into a sixth order homogeneous equation that looks like this: (D - 2)3(D - 1)(D2 + 25)y = 0. A basic set of solutions would be {e2t, te2t, t2e2t, et, cos(5t), sin(5t)}.

The functions e2t and et are a basic set of functions for the solutions of the homogeneous form of your 2nd order equation. The other four are what you would use for your particular solution.

Hope that helps.

I think I get it. Thanks!

Related to Non-homogeneous 2nd order linear ODE help

1. What is a non-homogeneous 2nd order linear ODE?

A non-homogeneous 2nd order linear ODE (ordinary differential equation) is a type of mathematical equation that involves a second derivative of a function, with one or more terms that are not equal to zero. It is considered linear because the dependent variable and its derivatives appear in the equation with a power of 1.

2. How do you solve a non-homogeneous 2nd order linear ODE?

To solve a non-homogeneous 2nd order linear ODE, you can use a variety of techniques such as the method of undetermined coefficients, variation of parameters, or Laplace transform. The specific method used depends on the form of the equation and the initial conditions given.

3. What is the difference between a non-homogeneous and a homogeneous 2nd order linear ODE?

A homogeneous 2nd order linear ODE has all terms equal to zero, while a non-homogeneous 2nd order linear ODE has at least one term that is not equal to zero. This difference affects the methods used to solve the equations and the general form of the solution.

4. What are the applications of non-homogeneous 2nd order linear ODEs?

Non-homogeneous 2nd order linear ODEs have numerous applications in physics, engineering, and other scientific fields. They can be used to model physical systems, such as pendulums, oscillators, and electrical circuits. They also play a role in population dynamics, heat transfer, and other mathematical models.

5. Can a non-homogeneous 2nd order linear ODE have a unique solution?

Yes, a non-homogeneous 2nd order linear ODE can have a unique solution if the initial conditions are specified. However, if the initial conditions are not given, there may be an infinite number of solutions that satisfy the equation. In this case, additional constraints or boundary conditions are needed to determine a unique solution.