Non-dimensional Navier Stokes

In summary, the conversation discusses the non-dimensionalization of the NS equations for a 2D channel flow simulation of relaxation oscillations of an interface between two viscous fluids. The speaker is trying to determine the proper scaling for time and suggests that ##\tau = \sqrt{\rho l^3 / \sigma}## may be appropriate. Another person agrees and mentions that this scaling could be used to calculate the Weber number in the final dimensionless equation. However, the issue of velocity, which is computed using surface tension, is also discussed.
member 428835
Hi PF!

I'm running a CFD software that non-dimensionalizes the NS equations. The problem I'm simulating is a 2D channel flow: relaxation oscillations of an interface between two viscous fluids, shown here. I'm trying to see what they are non-dimensionalizing time with, which is evidently just ##\tau## shown here.

Thinking about my problem, quantities that involve time are ##g,\mu,\sigma##. However, I'm setting ##g=0## and trying assume inviscid flow so ##\mu \ll 1##. This makes me think for my problem ##\tau = \sqrt{\rho l^3 / \sigma}##. Do you agree?

Engineering news on Phys.org
The proper dimensionless scaling depends on application. I can't honestly tell you what your software package uses, but the scaling you provide does look like a good building block for producing the Weber number in your final dimensionless equation, which would be appropriate here.

boneh3ad said:
The proper dimensionless scaling depends on application. I can't honestly tell you what your software package uses, but the scaling you provide does look like a good building block for producing the Weber number in your final dimensionless equation, which would be appropriate here.
Not sure why I missed this until now? The issue with the Weber number is the velocity, which I compute with the surface tension (it's the only temporal component since we look at an inviscid fluid). Any other ideas?

Apologies for the late reply.

Related to Non-dimensional Navier Stokes

1. What is the Non-dimensional Navier Stokes equation?

The Non-dimensional Navier Stokes equation is a mathematical model used to describe the motion of fluids. It is a set of partial differential equations that relate the velocity, pressure, and density of a fluid to its acceleration and the forces acting on it.

2. Why is the Non-dimensional Navier Stokes equation important?

The Non-dimensional Navier Stokes equation is important because it is used to study and understand the behavior of fluids in various applications, such as aerodynamics, weather forecasting, and fluid flow in pipes. It also serves as the basis for many computational fluid dynamics simulations.

3. What does "non-dimensional" mean in the context of the Navier Stokes equation?

"Non-dimensional" in this context means that the variables in the equation are expressed in terms of dimensionless parameters, rather than specific units. This allows for easier comparison and generalization of the equation for different fluid systems.

4. How is the Non-dimensional Navier Stokes equation solved?

The Non-dimensional Navier Stokes equation can be solved using numerical methods, such as finite difference or finite element methods, or analytical methods, such as perturbation or asymptotic techniques. The choice of method depends on the specific problem and the desired level of accuracy.

5. What are the assumptions made in the Non-dimensional Navier Stokes equation?

The Non-dimensional Navier Stokes equation assumes that the fluid is incompressible, meaning its density remains constant, and that the flow is laminar, meaning there is no turbulence. It also assumes that the fluid is Newtonian, meaning its viscosity is constant, and that the flow is steady, meaning it does not change over time.