Noisy TV's: Is There a Reason for the High Pitch Sound?

In summary, the TV's at school are very annoying and give me a headache. Some people experience a high pitched noise when TVs are on, and this noise is probably the reason why I don't watch tv.
Stevedye56
Im curious about this question because of the TV's at school. I can hear a TV on in a house with extrenious noise even if the TV is muted. I asked my science teacher if she could hear the TV when it was on and she said she heard the sound but that's all. I hear a very high pitch noise when a TV is on is there any reason for this? Does anyone else experience this? The noise is also extremely anoying and gives me a headache, probably the reason why i don't watch tv...

Physics news on Phys.org
Stevedye56 said:
Sorry didnt mean to make a repeat thread...
I wouldn't worry about it. The same subject has come up in two other threads I can think of in the past 3 years.

zoobyshoe said:
I wouldn't worry about it. The same subject has come up in two other threads I can think of in the past 3 years.

Ok i wasnt sure if i was reposting a thread that occurs regularly therefore wasting bandwith

Stevedye56 said:
Ok i wasnt sure if i was reposting a thread that occurs regularly therefore wasting bandwith
Don't worry about it. When you waste too much bandwidth an alarm will go off: you'll hear an extremely high pitched noise that will give you a headache.

Ah, that's what it is. Flyback transformers! :confused:

They obvioulsy have to do with why the crazy colory changing channels you don't have are a lot louder than the channels you do.

I allways hear capacitors screeming, its annoying...

3trQN said:
I allways hear capacitors screeming, its annoying...

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/9/95/Heyes.jpg/300px-Heyes.jpg

...and you think if you post about it, it'll stop that sound: that terrible screaming of the capacitors...

Last edited by a moderator:
I ate his Band-Pass Filter with a nice electrolytic solution...ffffttppfftttffppfftt...:devil:

3trQN said:
I ate his Band-Pass Filter with a nice electrolytic solution...ffffttppfftttffppfftt...:devil:
Hehehehe. Good one!

zoobyshoe said:
Don't worry about it. When you waste too much bandwidth an alarm will go off: you'll hear an extremely high pitched noise that will give you a headache.
Zoob knows all about wasting bandwidth, sometimes even posting spurious images for the sake of humor.

Chi Meson said:
Zoob knows all about wasting bandwidth, sometimes even posting spurious images for the sake of humor.
Spurious?

spurious
One entry found for spurious.
Main Entry: spu·ri·ous
Pronunciation: 'spyur-E-&s
Function: adjective
Etymology: Late Latin & Latin; Late Latin spurius false, from Latin, of illegitimate birth, from spurius, noun, bastard
1 : of illegitimate birth : BASTARD
2 : outwardly similar or corresponding to something without having its genuine qualities : FALSE <the spurious eminence of the pop celebrity>
3 a : of falsified or erroneously attributed origin : FORGED b : of a deceitful nature or quality <spurious excuses>
- spu·ri·ous·ly adverb
- spu·ri·ous·ness noun

Hmm? You don't think it was a perfectly cromulent use of the word?From the OED:
"characterized by spuriousness"

Last edited:
Chi Meson said:
Hmm? You don't think it was a perfectly cromulent use of the word?
hannibal_lecter_104004a.jpg

A physics teacher once sent me on a wild goose chase hunting the spurious word "cromulent" through the dictionary...

:smile:
Oh, I feel good!
:smile:BTW:
From Wikepedia "Simpsons Neologisms"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cromulent
Cromulent
A word meaning valid or acceptable, coined by David X. Cohen for the Simpsons episode "Lisa the Iconoclast".
When schoolteacher Edna Krabappel hears the Springfield town motto, "A noble spirit embiggens the smallest man," she comments she'd never heard of the word embiggens before moving to Springfield. Miss Hoover, another teacher, replies, "I don't know why; it's a perfectly cromulent word".
Later in the same episode, while talking about Homer's audition for the role of town crier, Principal Skinner states "He's embiggened that role with his cromulent performance."
Based on the context in which Miss Hoover uses the word cromulent, we can interpret that she intends it to mean "legitimate", "applicable" or "appropriate." Principal Skinner seems to use it to mean "more than acceptable" or "more than adequate"; these usages would also (in an assumed lexical context) satisfy Miss Hoover's use of the word. Perhaps both characters intend it to mean "authentic", which would validate both uses of the word (e.g. "it's a perfectly authentic word" and "he embiggened that role with his authentic performance"). Lisa uses it later in that episode, when instead of telling the truth about Jebediah Springfield, she accepts that the myth and the made-up words have inspirational value. The word has a sort of recursive irony about it: as a made-up word it possesses none of the qualities that it describes.
Both "embiggen" and "cromulent" were quickly adopted and used by Simpsons fans. Cromulent has taken on an ironic meaning, to say that something is not at all legitimate and in fact spurious. Indeed the DVD commentary for "Lisa the Iconoclast" makes a point of reinforcing that "embiggen" and "cromulent" are completely made up by the writers and have since taken on a life of their own via the Internet and other media.

Last edited:
BobG said:
That must have killed a few seconds: http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/cromulent

I always consult respectable dictionaries:

The word you've entered isn't in the dictionary. Click on a spelling suggestion below or try again using the search box to the right.

Suggestions for cromulent:

1. cormorant
2. colorant
3. cormorants
4. chromogen
5. Clermont
6. commonalty
7. Carmel, Mount
8. common salt
9. chromogens
10. Claremont

http://www.webster.com/cgi-bin/dictionary?sourceid=Mozilla-search&va=cromulent

Last edited by a moderator:
Webster? Respectable? The man was an utter abomination!

A compromise. Since we can't settle on a dictionary, we'll just google the word 'cromulent' ...

... and voila! Cromulent is the bittersweet life and times of a quirky young college girl. :biggrin:

From Jan 13th, 2006:
Yesterday, I received the best gift.

It was given to me by a coworker. I was deeply absorbed in thought, meditating blue highlighter on yellow legal paper, when she peered into my cubicle.

“I have a late Christmas gift for you,” she said, looking in.
“I didn’t have any wrapping paper, but here you go.” It was wrapped in a FedEx delivery envelope.

As she walked away, I delicately tore away the tape. Inside
was a dark wooden box with a symbol etched on top. It looked like a calligraphy of nothingness. I opened the box to see if there was a definition inside. It was empty.

I asked my cubicle neighbor what the symbol meant.

“I think it’s ‘Om’.”

“Well, what’s ‘Om’?”

“I don’t know, but people say it a lot at the beginning and
end of prayers and stuff.”

“But what does it mean? Is it like hello? Is my box saying
hello?”

He shrugged. “I don’t know.”

So we googled it.

It symbolizes ultimate Reality.

Another coworker came by as we were ‘Om’-ing.

“Oh ‘Om’?” He said. “Did you know that if you pronounce it
perfectly, it forms all the possible sounds you can make with your
tongue and mouth? It starts from the back of your throat like, like” - he pronounced it perfectly.

So a coworker gave me the gift of ultimate Reality and inside it was nothing.

"A philosophical tangent embiggens the dullest thread."

Last edited:

Related to Noisy TV's: Is There a Reason for the High Pitch Sound?

1. Why do some TV's make a high pitch sound?

There are several reasons why a TV may make a high pitch sound. One common reason is due to the TV's power supply, which can cause a whining noise. Another possible reason is interference from nearby electronic devices or poor signal reception. Additionally, internal components such as capacitors or transformers may also produce high pitch sounds as they age.

2. Is the high pitch sound harmful to the TV?

In most cases, the high pitch sound is not harmful to the TV. It is typically just a nuisance and does not indicate any significant issue with the TV's functionality. However, if the sound is accompanied by other issues such as picture distortion or loss of sound, it may be a sign of a larger problem that should be addressed.

3. Can the high pitch sound be fixed?

In some cases, the high pitch sound can be fixed by adjusting the TV's settings or moving it away from other electronic devices. However, if the sound is caused by internal components, it may require professional repair. It is always best to consult a technician if you are unsure of the cause of the high pitch sound.

4. Is there a way to prevent the high pitch sound?

While it is not always possible to prevent the high pitch sound, there are a few things you can do to minimize it. Make sure the TV is properly grounded and not plugged into a faulty outlet. Keep the TV away from other electronic devices that may cause interference. It may also help to adjust the TV's settings or use a surge protector.

5. Can the high pitch sound affect the viewing experience?

In most cases, the high pitch sound does not affect the TV's performance or viewing experience. However, if the sound is particularly loud or distracting, it may impact the overall enjoyment of watching TV. If this is the case, it is best to address the issue by adjusting settings or seeking professional repair.