Noise I'm getting in my summing amplifier

If you connect the output of the summing amplifier to the inverting input of an op-amp with a gain of two, the output will be 0 to +5 volts, suitable for driving a 0-5 volt analog input.Note the use of a 1k resistor to limit the current to the op-amp. As drawn, the output will be 0 to +5 volts, offset by the voltage on RV1(ab). If you want to change the polarity you can add a couple of diodes, as shown in the second diagram.I am measuring EC of solution. I got Vec is 0.98V. After that, I took it to a summing amplifier to reduce measurement error. However
Minh Thanh
< Mentor Note -- thread moved to HH from the technical physics forums, so no HH Template is shown >

I am measuring EC of solution . I got Vec is 0.98V . After that, I took it to summing amplifier to reduce error from measurement . However, I saw a problem is that Vout of summing amplifier was continuously variable from 4.V to 4.5V, with value of potentionmeter is 180k. I hope I receive your help . Tks you !

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    4 KB · Views: 367
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Minh Thanh said:
< Mentor Note -- thread moved to HH from the technical physics forums, so no HH Template is shown >

I am measuring EC of solution . I got Vec is 0.98V . After that, I took it to summing amplifier to reduce error from measurement . However, I saw a problem is that Vout of summing amplifier was continuously variable from 4.V to 4.5V, with value of potentionmeter is 180k. I hope I receive your help . Tks you !
Welcome to the PF.

What is the "EC of solution"? What is this circuit supposed to do?

On the question of the output voltage, what is Vout when the potentiometer is full CW (grounded wiper)? Is it zero reliably?

A summing amplifier sums currents at a node that has a fixed voltage = virtual earth. Resistors convert voltages to currents. I see no resistor that will convert the voltage on the RV1 wiper to a current at the summing node of the amplifier.

To offset a signal you must add or subtract a reference. The –9.3V reference must be stable and quiet to keep any supply voltage drift or noise out of the signal path.

The input impedance of EC? on R2 is 10k. Is the EC source impedance low? Is a continuous current of (0.98V/10k) = 98uA available from the signal source ?

Oops! Deleted. I didn't see this was homework and I gave too much information

Likes berkeman
Baluncore said:
A summing amplifier sums currents at a node that has a fixed voltage = virtual earth. Resistors convert voltages to currents. I see no resistor that will convert the voltage on the RV1 wiper to a current at the summing node of the amplifier.

To offset a signal you must add or subtract a reference. The –9.3V reference must be stable and quiet to keep any supply voltage drift or noise out of the signal path.

The input impedance of EC? on R2 is 10k. Is the EC source impedance low? Is a continuous current of (0.98V/10k) = 98uA available from the signal source ?
I see problem is that the negative power is not stable... I am using IC 7660 to get negative power. Do you have any idea about IC that can give stable negative power ?

Minh Thanh said:
Do you have any idea about IC that can give stable negative power ?
A 2.5 volt reference would work OK. Consider LM336-2.5 or LT1004-2.5 or others.

See the attached circuit diagram.
RV1 is a 10k potentiometer, simulated as two parts a and b.
RV1(ab) will offset input voltages between 0 and 2.5 volts.
RV1 will not be linear as there is no voltage buffer between RV1 and R4.

Attachments

• offset-Amp.png
    offset-Amp.png
    7.6 KB · Views: 360

Related to Noise I'm getting in my summing amplifier

1. What is a summing amplifier?

A summing amplifier is an electronic circuit that combines multiple input signals into a single output signal. It is commonly used in audio applications to mix multiple audio signals together.

2. What causes noise in a summing amplifier?

Noise in a summing amplifier can be caused by a variety of factors, including electromagnetic interference, thermal noise, and component mismatch.

3. How can I reduce noise in my summing amplifier?

There are several ways to reduce noise in a summing amplifier, such as using high-quality components, shielding the circuit from external interference, and minimizing the number of amplification stages.

4. Why is noise a problem in summing amplifiers?

Noise can be a problem in summing amplifiers because it can distort the output signal and reduce the overall quality of the audio. In extreme cases, it can even cause the amplifier to malfunction.

5. Can I eliminate all noise in my summing amplifier?

Noise can never be completely eliminated, but it can be minimized to a level that is imperceptible to the human ear. This can be achieved through careful design and implementation of the summing amplifier circuit.