Noetherian Modules - Bland - Proposition 4.2.3 - (3) => (1)

• MHB
  • Thread starter Math Amateur
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Modules
In summary: Then, the chain condition assures you that $a,b\in M_{n}$ since $M_{m}\subseteq M_{n}$ and $M_{n}$ is a module :D.
Math Amateur
Gold Member
MHB
I am reading Paul E. Bland's book, "Rings and Their Modules".

I am trying to understand Chapter 4, Section 4.2 on Noetherian and Artinian modules and need help with the proof of \(\displaystyle (3) \Longrightarrow (1) \) in Proposition 4.2.3.

Proposition 4.2.3 and its proof read as follows:

View attachment 3660
View attachment 3661

The first line of the proof of \(\displaystyle (3) \Longrightarrow (1) \) reads as follows:

"If \(\displaystyle M_1 \subseteq M_2 \subseteq M_3 \subseteq \ ... \ \) is an ascending chain of submodules of M then \(\displaystyle \bigcup_{ i = 1 }^{ \infty } M_i \) is a finitely generated module of \(\displaystyle M\). ... ... "

My question is as follows:

How do we know that if

... ... \(\displaystyle M_1 \subseteq M_2 \subseteq M_3 \subseteq \ ... \ \) is an ascending chain of submodules of \(\displaystyle M\)

then

... ... \(\displaystyle \bigcup_{ i = 1 }^{ \infty }\) is a finitely generated module of \(\displaystyle M\) ...

That is ... why exactly does this follow?

Peter

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Peter,

$\cup_{i=0}^{\infty}M_{i}$ is a submodule of $M$.

The point 3) states that every submodule of $M$ is finitely generated.

Fallen Angel said:
Hi Peter,

$\cup_{i=0}^{\infty}M_{i}$ is a submodule of $M$.

The point 3) states that every submodule of $M$ is finitely generated.
Thanks Fallen Angel ... ... so the union of submodules is a submodule ... ... including the union of an infinite set of submodules?

Thanks for the help!

Peter***EDIT***

PROBLEM! I now believe that the union of a set of modules is not necessarily a module!

Last edited:
Peter said:
PROBLEM! I now believe that the union of a set of modules is not necessarily a module!

You're right Peter, but the union of an ascending chain of submodules of an $R$-module $M$ is a submodule of $M$.

Last edited:
Euge said:
You're right Peter, but the union of an ascending chain of submodules of an $R$-module $M$ is a submodule of $M$.
Thanks Euge ... ...

But ... why/how does the fact that the submodules are in an ascending chain, make a difference?

Peter

Peter said:
Thanks Euge ... ...

But ... why/how does the fact that the submodules are in an ascending chain, make a difference?

Peter

Sorry, but I don't understand the question. You cannot guarantee closure under addition holds for $\cup M_i$ if the sequence $M_i$ is not increasing. For example, the subset $A := 2\Bbb Z \cup 3\Bbb Z$ of $\Bbb Z$ is not closed under addition since $2, 3 \in A$ but $2 + 3 = 5 \notin A$. Therefore, $2\Bbb Z \cup 3\Bbb Z$ is not a submodule of $\Bbb Z$. For an infinite sequence counterexample, let $p_i$ represent the $i$-th prime, and let $B = \bigcup_{i = 2}^\infty p_i\Bbb Z$. Then $3, 5 \in B$, but $5 + 3 = 8 \notin B$ since $8$ is not divisible by any odd prime. So $B$ is not a submodule of $\Bbb Z$.

Last edited:
Euge said:
Sorry, but I don't understand the question. You cannot guarantee closure under addition holds for $\cup M_i$ if the sequence $M_i$ is not increasing. For example, the subset $A := 2\Bbb Z \cup 3\Bbb Z$ of $\Bbb Z$ is not closed under addition since $2, 3 \in A$ but $2 + 3 = 5 \notin A$. Therefore, $2\Bbb Z \cup 3\Bbb Z$ is not a submodule of $\Bbb Z$. For an infinite sequence counterexample, let $p_i$ represent the $i$-th prime, and let $B = \bigcup_{i = 2}^\infty p_i\Bbb Z$. Then $3, 5 \in B$, but $5 + 3 = 8 \notin B$ since $8$ is not divisible by any odd prime. So $B$ is not a submodule of $\Bbb Z$.

Thanks Euge ... I think you have answered my question ...

I was asking if you could explain further exactly why the union of an ascending chain of submodules of an R-module M is a submodule of M ... but I think you have done this ... actually, still reflecting on what you have written ...

It seems that you are saying that the union of a set of submodules is often not a submodule because addition is not closed in the union ... ... BUT ... when we are dealing with an ascending chain, then closure under addition is assured ...

Thanks again for your help ... ..

Peter

Yes it is, the key of the question is as follows, given $a,b \in \displaystyle\cup_{i=0}^{\infty}M_{i}$ we got that there exists $n,m$ with $a\in M_{n}$, $b\in M_{m}$, without loss of generality we can assume $n\geq m$.

Then, the chain condition assures you that $a,b\in M_{n}$ since $M_{m}\subseteq M_{n}$ and $M_{n}$ is a module :D

Related to Noetherian Modules - Bland - Proposition 4.2.3 - (3) => (1)

What is Proposition 4.2.3 in Bland's work on Noetherian Modules?

Proposition 4.2.3 is a result in Bland's work on Noetherian Modules which states that if a module satisfies the ascending chain condition for submodules, then any submodule of the module is also finitely generated.

What is the significance of this proposition?

This proposition is significant because it provides a necessary and sufficient condition for a submodule to be finitely generated. This is useful in understanding the structure of Noetherian modules and their submodules.

How is this proposition related to other results in Noetherian Modules theory?

This proposition is related to other results such as the Hilbert basis theorem and Nakayama's lemma, which also deal with finitely generated submodules of Noetherian modules. It can also be used in the proof of other theorems in the theory of Noetherian modules, such as the Artin-Rees lemma.

Can this proposition be extended to other algebraic structures?

Yes, this proposition can be extended to other algebraic structures such as rings and algebras. In fact, the concept of Noetherian modules was originally inspired by the study of Noetherian rings.

Are there any applications of this proposition in other fields of mathematics?

Yes, this proposition has applications in other fields such as algebraic geometry and commutative algebra. It can also be used in the study of algebraic structures in physics and computer science.