In summary, when solving a circuit with nodal analysis, a reference node (which will be the ground node) must be designated for measuring the voltages of the other nodes. However, the choice of reference node does not affect the final result, as long as the current is correctly solved. This can be used as a method to check the accuracy of the current calculations. The reference node is similar to a reference point when measuring the height of an object.
thegreengineer
I know that when we have to identify the nodes for solving a circuit with nodal analysis we always have to designate a reference node (which will be the ground node) as a reference for measuring the others' voltages. However I was practicing this and I found this example on http://mathonweb.com/help/backgd5b.htm:
https://scontent-atl3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xlp1/v/t1.0-9/11205488_1641308579487013_7202709367008535386_n.jpg?oh=1008d277d5d6a59d6e351ba41bb3af4e&oe=56601DF3​
It seems that one of them will be the reference or ground node (this means one of them will be at 0 V). The problem chose node N2 as the reference node. After using Kirchhoff's current law for each node they found that:
V1=-35.88 V
V2=0 V
V3= 63.74 V
V4= 0.19 V
My question is: what if I chose another node (for example N4) as the reference node for measuring the other voltages? Would it change my final results? And if it did so, how to know which node will be the real reference node? And I'm questioning this because I did this circuit on an online simulator and it turned out that those were the correct results so it seems that they chose the right node as the ground (I know that when we have to choose the reference node it is easier to choose that node the one that has more branches, but in this case both N2 and N4 have the same number of branches connected to them). I'm leaving the URL here for that simulation

http://lushprojects.com/circuitjs/c...84+0+60 v+192+384+192+296+0+0+40+300+0+0+0.5

Engineering news on Phys.org
You can choose any node as a reference node. Do you understand what reference node is (ground)?
Try read this: http://www.ittc.ku.edu/~jstiles/312/handouts/312_Introduction_package.pdf (start from page 3)
To measure the voltage we need two point in the space. One of this point is treat as a reference point. We have a very similarity situation when we try to measure a height of an object. We need a reference point. The most common reference pint is "above mean sea level". But when you measure the height of the table in your house the floor now becomes your reference point.
https://www.physicsforums.com/attachments/rys0-1-jpg.69517/
https://www.physicsforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=69517&stc=1&d=1399478598
MarcusAu314 said:
My question is: what if I chose another node (for example N4) as the reference node for measuring the other voltages? Would it change my final results?
Yes, the result will change (the voltage result will change but the current will not change).
MarcusAu314 said:
And if it did so, how to know which node will be the real reference node?
There is no such thing as a "real reference node".

Jony130 said:
Yes, the result will change (the voltage result will change but the current will not change).
So how did the results actually match the values of the simulator?

MarcusAu314 said:
So how did the results actually match the values of the simulator?
Simply by accident the simulation program chosen N2 as a reference node.

See this example when we have N2 as GND (the upper one) and N1 as GND (the the lower one)

Attachments

• 2.PNG
    2.PNG
    62.9 KB · Views: 751
Last edited:
Likes thegreengineer
Ah ya, so it doesn't matter at all which node will be chosen as the reference node, so this thing about choosing it arbitrarily can be used as a method to check if currents are solved in the correct manner. Understood. Thanks.

Related to Nodal analysis, choosing reference node confusion

1. What is nodal analysis and when is it used?

Nodal analysis is a method used in circuit analysis to determine the voltage and current at different nodes or points in a circuit. It is used when there are multiple voltage sources and complex circuits, and it allows for a systematic approach to solving for unknown values.

2. How do you choose the reference node in nodal analysis?

The reference node is chosen as the node with the most connections. This node will have the most known values and therefore will make the calculations easier. It is typically chosen as the ground or negative terminal of a voltage source.

3. What happens if the reference node is incorrectly chosen in nodal analysis?

If the reference node is chosen incorrectly, it can lead to incorrect calculations and confusion. This is because the voltages and currents at the nodes will be relative to the chosen reference node, so choosing the wrong node can give incorrect values.

4. What is the purpose of using nodal analysis?

The main purpose of using nodal analysis is to calculate the voltage and current at different nodes in a circuit. This is useful for designing and analyzing complex circuits, as well as troubleshooting and finding faulty components.

5. Can nodal analysis be used for both DC and AC circuits?

Yes, nodal analysis can be used for both DC and AC circuits. However, in AC circuits, additional calculations may be required to take into account the frequency and phase shift of the AC voltage sources.