Nobody here can explain the Leedskalnin discovery

In summary, the forum deleted a post about Ed Leedskalnin's discovery of an electromagnet that works even without power, labeling it a "crackpot video". However, the video linked simply showed the mentioned discovery and was easily replicable. The person who deleted the post probably did not try to replicate it themselves. The reason for labeling it a "crackpot video" was likely because no physicist can explain the effect. The original poster predicts that this post will also be deleted. It seems that the forum is afraid of addressing the issue and may even ban the poster for bringing it up. However, it is worth noting that NASA has designed a boot using a similar concept, known as flux switching.
Magatron
I posted a thread here about Ed Leedskalnin's discovery of an electromagnet which works after the power has been cut off. The forum deleted it and gave the reason "crackpot video". The video I linked simply showed the discovery that I mentioned. It was hardly a "crackpot video". In fact, as I stated in the post, anyone can easily replicate it themselves. Did the person who deleted the post do that? No, obviously not. So why did they label it a crackpot video? The answer is extremely obvious; no physicist on Earth can explain that effect. Now I predict that the same person will delete THIS post, again for an arbitrary trumped up excuse. What exactly are you so afraid of that you would actually delete posts to avoid addressing the issue? I don't see any video links in this post so I guess the crackpot video excuse won't work this time. What are you going to do now, ban me from the forum for raising questions that you are apparently incapable of explaining? That will actually amuse me and make me say "nice, I stumped an entire physics forum and their only course of action to avoid admitting it was to silence me" Hahaha. Physicists, huh? Funny.

Physics news on Phys.org
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conservation_of_energy

^ That is probably the reason it got deleted.

Build a commercially viable version of your magnet, and you'll make a gazilion dollars. See you in 20 years.
Just because a guy has a Slavic name and died more than 50 years ago, doesn't make his theory any more valid. (yes, I took a jab at Tesla, in case you didn't notice)

Watch your mouth please.

The problem is, it's not Tesla's fault really. Both Tesla and this Leedskalnin guy lived in a time where electricity and magnetism were virtually unexplored territory. Many things were tried, many things were postulated. And many things turned out to be flat wrong. Now, as (I think) Dirac once said "Science advances one funeral at a time", neither Tesla nor Leedskalnin would change their minds before their death. This behavior has haunted the greatest scientists across time, including Einstein.
It's just that Tesla and this guy have a following of conspiracy theorists who are at the same time really, really weak in their understanding of physics. Their desire to believe in a conspiracy far outstrips their desire (or ability) to educate themselves about the matter, and especially what has been learned theoretically in the last 100 years.

rumborak said:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conservation_of_energy

^ That is probably the reason it got deleted.

Build a commercially viable version of your magnet, and you'll make a gazilion dollars. See you in 20 years.
Just because a guy has a Slavic name and died more than 50 years ago, doesn't make his theory any more valid. (yes, I took a jab at Tesla, in case you didn't notice)

My point exactly. It shouldn't work, according to the current laws of physics, and yet it does. All you have to do is make the thing yourself and you'll see what I mean. It's easy to find videos on YouTube that show you how. I won't link them of course, because the forum guy will then delete the post for no valid reason. It's been replicated by many people. I've done it myself. So here is my challenge; make the device and then get back to me with the results. Are you equal to the task?

I have no desire to try out things that I know through my education won't work, just like I have no desire to build Youtube-based antigravity devices.

Again, build it, commercialize it, make a gazillion dollars. I'll leave all the glory and money to you. Why do you even care what a physics forum thinks about you, when you think you stumped us all?

If you mean that locking thing, it has been explained many times.

TESL@ said:
Watch your mouth please.

In regard to what? I don't see a quote here of anything offensive. I'm not that good at guessing.

Not you, it was a joke for the previous post.

TESL@ said:
If you mean that locking thing, it has been explained many times.

Okay, please explain it again right now because I don't see any text in your post doing so or any links to anything that does. Am I supposed to just accept your word for it?

TESL@ said:
Not you, it was a joke for the previous post.

Okay, sorry.

rumborak said:
Again, build it, commercialize it, make a gazillion dollars. I'll leave all the glory and money to you. Why do you even care what a physics forum thinks about you, when you think you stumped us all?

Lol, just read the Wikipedia page on the guy.

Leedskalnin said:
Iron has more magnets than wood, and every different substance has a different number of magnets that hold the substance together

Yeaaaahhhhh...

Well, not so wrong actually. Think about free electron pairs.

Nah, sorry. Plain and simple, the guy had absolutely no clue what he was talking about. And that was fine in those days, as a lot of people were just building contraptions in their homes to investigate those newfangled electric currents and their effects.

TESL@ said:
See this: http://helios.gsfc.nasa.gov/qa_gp_elm.html

NASA designed a boot using it, if I understand what you mean by "Leedskalnin discovery" correctly.

edit: It's called flux switching.

Didn't see anything on that page that seems to relate to this. I can show you a video right now where a guy made the device as Leedskalnin wrote in his little book. It was a U shape made of 1.25" square iron bar, each prong about 1 foot long. Two coils, one on each prong. He put the same type of bar across the prongs, energized the coils for about 1 second with a regular 9 volt battery and put it on a spring scale to see how much force was required to pull the bar off the prongs, with no power conneceted whatsoever. It took about 60 lbs of force. How do you explain that? How can 1 second from a 9 volt battery produce that kind of force after disconnected?

a) Lentz's law
b) residual magnetization
c) Magnetic fields can result in very strong forces when applied over a large enough area

Come on, I gave you the keywords just use ctrl+f.

Or look at this:

radusflxswtch.gif

By magnetic "circuit" it is meant that the flux is "trapped" in the metal since it has high permeability.

By the way, it is not an electromagnet that works without energy supplied, it is just a permanent magnet now until the "circuit" is broken.

TESL@ said:
By the way, it is not an electromagnet that works without energy supplied, it is just a permanent magnet now until the "circuit" is broken.

Okay, I'll look into this flux switching thing. You may be right. I was just trying to find the explanation. I didn't think it had been explained before. If you're right then I guess you met my little challenge. Thanks for the information then. I guess the fact that a burst of electricity comes out of the coils and will make a light flash when the bar is pulled off the prongs is explainable too, huh? The weird thing is that the coils won't light the bulb until the bar is pulled off, so it's not stored electricity in the coils like with a transformer. How is that explained? A burst of magnetism must occur in the prongs when the bar is pulled off or something.

That would be induction. The coils are in a magnetic field, and when you pull it away from said field, the total amount of magnetic flux through the coils changes, which in turn induces a voltage into the coils (Faraday's Law). In essence, the work necessary to remove the coil from the field gets converted into electricity.

rumborak said:
That would be induction. The coils are in a magnetic field, and when you pull it away from said field, the total amount of magnetic flux through the coils changes, which in turn induces a voltage into the coils (Faraday's Law). In essence, the work necessary to remove the coil from the field gets converted into electricity.

I figured it was something like that. Leedskalnin didn't make such a great discovery after all I guess, just a novel electromagnetic property. I wonder how he moved all those huge coral blocks around in Florida though. You know, the "coral castle". Probably just used jacks of some sort. Still pretty amazing that one guy could do all that work, even using jacks or whatever.

We did establish one thing here though; that the forum admin deleted my earlier thread for no valid reason. Because we now know that the video was showing an actual electromagnetic effect. What does that say about the admin? Who was the real "crackpot" in that little episode?

Physics forums get littered with crackpot theories, most of them related to free energy. "Latvian immigrant discovers secret magnetic effect" simply reeks of that. It is totally understandable that the admins will just delete that. We want to discuss real physics here, not "secret theories shut down by the government". Energy conservation has never been seen to be violated, some Latvian Joe Shmoe from 50 years ago certainly didn't. Especially one who thinks wood is held together by magnets.

Magatron said:
We did establish one thing here though; that the forum admin deleted my earlier thread for no valid reason. Because we now know that the video was showing an actual electromagnetic effect. What does that say about the admin? Who was the real "crackpot" in that little episode?
You are.

If you want people to stop thinking your posts are crackpottery, you will need to stop making them sound like crackpottery. That's all up to you. PF has both standards of quality and rules against posting unverified ideas and you are required to follow them.

I don't have the ability right now to review the previous thread (perhaps another moderator can) to see if the video/effect are worthy of discussion here, so I'll leave the thread open/undeleted for now.

Edit: Changed my mind. Locked pending moderation.

Last edited:

Related to Nobody here can explain the Leedskalnin discovery

1. What is the Leedskalnin discovery?

The Leedskalnin discovery refers to the mysterious structures and sculptures created by Edward Leedskalnin, a Latvian-American inventor and self-taught engineer. These structures, specifically the Coral Castle in Florida, were built using massive blocks of coral rock that weigh several tons each, yet were moved and assembled by Leedskalnin alone without the use of modern machinery or tools.

2. How did Edward Leedskalnin move and assemble the massive coral rocks?

The exact method Leedskalnin used to move and assemble the rocks remains a mystery. Some theories propose he used anti-gravity techniques or had a deep understanding of magnetism and electricity. However, there is no concrete evidence to support these theories, and Leedskalnin himself never revealed his methods.

3. What makes the Leedskalnin discovery so intriguing?

The Leedskalnin discovery is intriguing because it challenges our understanding of physics and construction. Many experts and scientists have tried to replicate Leedskalnin's methods, but none have been successful. Additionally, Leedskalnin's own personal history and eccentric behavior add to the mystery surrounding his creations.

4. Are there any scientific explanations for the Leedskalnin discovery?

There are various scientific theories and explanations proposed for the Leedskalnin discovery, but none have been proven. Some suggest that Leedskalnin had a deep understanding of leverage and pulley systems, while others propose he used some form of levitation or telekinesis. However, without solid evidence, these are only speculations.

5. How does the Leedskalnin discovery impact our understanding of history and technology?

The Leedskalnin discovery challenges our current understanding of history and technology. It raises questions about ancient civilizations and their capabilities, as well as the limitations of modern technology. It also highlights the importance of individual ingenuity and unconventional thinking in scientific discoveries and advancements.