Looking to understand Apollo 15 and density

In summary, the article claims to compare the assumed gravitational constant of the moon and the acceleration of the hammer/feather from the Apollo 15 experiment, but is deemed invalid due to flawed assumptions about density and the use of a liquid environment. The author wrongly claims that the experiment breaks Newtonian physics by not understanding the principles of gravity, buoyancy, and drag.
chval
Okay, so this is the website: <Moderator's note: link deleted as it is not a valid reference>

I found this page as I was looking for a way to compare the assumed gravitational constant of the moon and the acceleration of the hammer/feather from the Apollo 15 experiment video. I have only taken level 1 physics as an undergrad (last semester, none in HS), but there seem to be some problems dealing with the author's assumptions regarding how density works and whether a pitcher of water is a valid "low gravity environment." A quick free-body diagram seems to be helpful, but I am less than confident in my physics abilities. Therefore, I have two quick questions:

1-What seems to be problematic with this experiment to you (O, thou who doth possesses a grander mind than mine own). I hope to test the strength of my intuition and initial guesses with the help of some more highly educated person(s).

and

2-Why does the author feel this breaks Newtonian physics? I took a brief look at the blog/site, and the author seems to be trying to enlighten me and the world; my attention span, however, is not great enough to maintain focus with the temptation of better websites (e.g., physicsforums.com), so I failed to see the point.

Here's hoping I'm not asking anything too silly, and that I'm posting this in the right place. Please forgive me for any glaring or obvious errors. Cheers!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
chval said:
What seems to be problematic with this experiment to you

It's claiming that the experiment done in a liquid is a valid test of Newtonian gravity as applied to the hammer and feather experiment performed in vacuum (or the Apollo spacecraft returning from the Moon through vacuum). That claim is, to put it bluntly, bogus.

To quickly explain why it's bogus: objects freely falling in vacuum have one force acting on them: gravity. Objects "falling" inside a liquid have three: gravity, buoyancy, and drag. The acceleration produced by the force of gravity does not depend on the object's mass (because the force is exactly proportional to the mass), which is why the hammer and feather both fall at the same rate in vacuum. But the acceleration produced by the force of buoyancy--or, more precisely, the resultant force after buoyancy and gravity are combined--does depend on the object's mass (because the resultant force is the difference between the weight of the object and the weight of the water the object displaces, so it is not exactly proportional to the object's mass), which is why the thimbles full of sand and rice start out "falling" at different rates through water. This in itself is enough to make the experiment invalid for the claimed purpose. The force of drag comes into play once the objects are moving, and further complicates their motion, making it even more different from motion in vacuum, and therefore making the experiment even more invalid for the claimed purpose.

chval said:
Why does the author feel this breaks Newtonian physics?

Because he has incorrectly understood what Newtonian physics says about the scenario he is testing.

Last edited:
Since the article linked to in the OP is not a valid reference, this thread is closed.

Related to Looking to understand Apollo 15 and density

1. What is Apollo 15?

Apollo 15 was the fourth manned mission of the Apollo program and the ninth manned mission in the American space program. It was launched on July 26, 1971 and lasted for 12 days, during which astronauts David Scott, Alfred Worden, and James Irwin carried out scientific experiments and explored the surface of the Moon.

2. How was density measured during Apollo 15?

Density was measured during Apollo 15 using a device called the "Mass Spectrometer". This instrument was used to determine the composition and density of the lunar atmosphere by analyzing the mass and charge of particles that passed through it.

3. What were the main objectives of Apollo 15?

The main objectives of Apollo 15 were to conduct scientific experiments on the lunar surface, to collect samples of lunar rocks and soil, and to explore the Hadley-Apennine region of the Moon. The astronauts also tested new equipment and technology, such as the Lunar Roving Vehicle, which allowed them to travel further from their landing site.

4. How did Apollo 15 contribute to our understanding of the Moon's density?

Apollo 15 contributed to our understanding of the Moon's density by providing more accurate data and measurements of the mass and composition of the lunar surface. This information helped scientists to create a more detailed picture of the Moon's interior structure and its evolution over time.

5. What were the major discoveries made during Apollo 15?

Some of the major discoveries made during Apollo 15 include the presence of an abundance of fine-grained, volcanic ash on the lunar surface, the discovery of a new type of volcanic rock called "KREEP", and the confirmation of the hypothesis that the Moon was formed from debris ejected during a collision between Earth and a Mars-sized object.