Nobel Prize announcements are underway

• Thread starter OmCheeto
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Nobel prize
In summary, Yoshinori Ohsumi was awarded the 2016 Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine for his discoveries of mechanisms for autophagy. The upcoming schedule for Nobel Prizes includes Physics on October 4th, Chemistry on October 5th, Peace on October 7th, and Economic Sciences on October 10th, with Literature to be announced at a later date. Discussions have already begun on the Physics and Chemistry prizes, and Bob Dylan was recently announced as the winner of the Nobel Prize in Literature. The location of the Nobel Prize ceremony in Stockholm may be confused with Oslo by some.
OmCheeto
Gold Member
I just heard about this on Facebook.

CONGRATULATE YOSHINORI OHSUMI, awarded the 2016 #NobelPrize in Physiology or Medicine.
"for his discoveries of mechanisms for autophagy"

I have no idea what an "autophagy" is. But if someone wins a Nobel Prize for it, I should probably google that.
After my nap of course.

Upcoming schedule:
04 Oct: Physics
05 Oct: Chemistry
07 Oct: Peace
10 Oct: Economic Sciences
later__: Literature​

Likes tionis, Pepper Mint and Charles Link
Physics news on Phys.org
gravity waves guys were snubbed i feel. probably get it next year though.

Likes Pepper Mint
Likes OmCheeto and Greg Bernhardt
Bob Dylan won the Nobel for Literature.:cool:

Likes StatGuy2000
tionis said:
Bob Dylan won the Nobel for Literature.:cool:
Stockholm is a suburb of Oslo??:)

Bystander said:
Stockholm is a suburb of Oslo??:)
Is it? I don't know lol.

Related to Nobel Prize announcements are underway

1. What is the Nobel Prize and why is it important?

The Nobel Prize is an international award that recognizes individuals and organizations for their outstanding achievements in various fields, including physics, chemistry, medicine, literature, economics, and peace. It is considered one of the most prestigious awards in the world and is a symbol of exceptional human accomplishments.

2. When are the Nobel Prize announcements made?

The Nobel Prize announcements are typically made in the months of October and November each year. The exact dates may vary, but the Nobel Prize in Physics, Chemistry, and Physiology or Medicine are usually announced in early October, while the Nobel Prize in Literature is announced in mid-October. The Nobel Peace Prize is announced in early October and the Nobel Memorial Prize in Economic Sciences is announced in mid-October.

3. How are Nobel Prize winners selected?

The Nobel Prize winners are selected by various academies and committees that are specific to each award category. These organizations nominate and review potential candidates based on their contributions and impact in their respective fields. The final decision is made by the Nobel Committee, which is composed of experts appointed by the respective academies.

4. Who is eligible for the Nobel Prize?

According to the will of Alfred Nobel, the founder of the Nobel Prize, the awards can be given to individuals or organizations regardless of nationality, gender, or age. However, the achievements must have a significant and lasting impact in the respective fields. Posthumous nominations are not accepted, but if a winner passes away before receiving the award, it may still be awarded posthumously.

5. What is the significance of the Nobel Prize announcements being underway?

The Nobel Prize announcements being underway is an exciting time for the scientific community, as it highlights the groundbreaking work and achievements of individuals and organizations in various fields. It also serves as an inspiration to future generations to strive for excellence and make meaningful contributions to society. The announcements also bring attention to important global issues and promote peace and progress worldwide.