No problem, glad I could help! Good luck with your modeling!

In summary, the conversation discusses the modeling of an ellipsoid on a plane, where the angle of the plane can be changed by the user and the ellipsoid should move accordingly. The speaker is asking for help on what equations or methods to use for this task. One suggestion is to look at Poinsot's construction of the torque-free motion of an ellipsoid, which involves 4 independent constants of motion and results in the polhode rolling on the herpolhode without slipping. This advice is appreciated and gives the speaker a better understanding of what to do.
burrkie
Ok so basically what I'm trying to model is an ellipsoid on a plane, the planes angle can be changed by the user and the ellisoid should move accordingly. But I have absolutely no idea where to start. I've tried finding equations etc but I could't find anything other than the equation of an ellipse and I have no idea where to go now! Does anyone know what equations I should use or what method I should use or anything?
Seriously stuck and just cannot get my head around how to model it, like should I be using an approximation method or what? ARGH!

Physics news on Phys.org
burrkie said:
Ok so basically what I'm trying to model is an ellipsoid on a plane, the planes angle can be changed by the user and the ellisoid should move accordingly. But I have absolutely no idea where to start. I've tried finding equations etc but I could't find anything other than the equation of an ellipse and I have no idea where to go now! Does anyone know what equations I should use or what method I should use or anything?
Seriously stuck and just cannot get my head around how to model it, like should I be using an approximation method or what? ARGH!

Is this related to your thread in November asking about an egg rolling on an inclined plane?

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=353707

Looks like you got good advice in that thread...

yes it is but I am trying to break it down, do this first then try and change the shape and the center of gravity etc but for now a simple ellipsoid is what I am aiming for. I've been trying to find equations and such but I've had no luck so I was hoping I might get some more help if I simplified exactly what I need now and see if anyone can help

Look at Poinsot's construction of the torque-free motion of an ellipsoid:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poinsot's_construction
Every ellipsoid has 4 independent constants of motion: kinetic energy and three angular momenta about its three principal axes. The result is that the polhode on the inertia ellipsoid rolls on the herpolhode in the invariable plane without slipping.
Bob S

Bob S said:
Look at Poinsot's construction of the torque-free motion of an ellipsoid:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poinsot's_construction
Every ellipsoid has 4 independent constants of motion: kinetic energy and three angular momenta about its three principal axes. The result is that the polhode on the inertia ellipsoid rolls on the herpolhode in the invariable plane without slipping.
Bob S

thank you very much this helps a lot. Just reading through it gives me a much better idea of what to do!

Related to No problem, glad I could help! Good luck with your modeling!

1. What is an ellipsoid moving on a plane?

An ellipsoid is a three-dimensional shape that is defined by three axes of varying lengths. When this shape moves on a two-dimensional plane, it creates a circular movement due to the symmetry of the ellipsoid.

2. What are the properties of an ellipsoid moving on a plane?

The properties of an ellipsoid moving on a plane include its center of mass, rotational speed, and direction of movement. These properties determine the trajectory and motion of the ellipsoid on the plane.

3. What factors affect the movement of an ellipsoid on a plane?

The movement of an ellipsoid on a plane is affected by its shape, size, and mass. Additionally, external forces such as friction and gravity can also influence the movement of the ellipsoid.

4. How is the motion of an ellipsoid on a plane calculated?

The motion of an ellipsoid on a plane can be calculated using mathematical equations that take into account its properties, such as its rotational speed and direction, as well as external forces acting on it. Computer simulations can also be used to model and predict the movement of an ellipsoid on a plane.

5. What are the real-world applications of studying ellipsoids moving on a plane?

The study of ellipsoids moving on a plane has many practical applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and robotics. It can help in designing and controlling the movement of objects, as well as understanding the dynamics of various systems. For example, it can be used to model the movement of planets and satellites in space, or to design efficient and stable vehicles and machines.