No Physics Intuition? Tips for Introductory Mechanics

In summary, the conversation revolves around the topic of having intuition in understanding physics concepts and its importance in becoming an engineer. The individual is struggling with relating physics to real life and is questioning their decision to become an engineer. However, others in the conversation point out that intuition can be developed through practice and hard work. The conversation also touches on the fact that having no intuition can lead to wrong assumptions and that a balance between intuition and data is necessary in science. The conversation ends with the reminder that having some level of intuition is important in scientific research.
fluffy123
Hi,

I'm currently taking Introductory Mechanics, and the more I progress into this class, the more I realize that I have no intuition when it comes to relating physics to real life.

The actual class is pretty easy for me, but the lab is killing me. The hardest questions for me are "What happens when you do X to an object?"

Do you guys think I should rethink my decision to become an engineer and go the Math/CS route?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
You can develop your intuition. If everything was going to be easy for you, you wouldn't need to go to school. Don't change majors because you're worried about this, only if you're not INTERESTED in developing physical intuition.I was never too great at understanding labs in high school or undergrad. I'm doing a PhD now though, and I think I'm doing perfectly fine at research. The lab thing comes easily to some people, others need to really work at it before getting what it's all about.

johng23 said:
You can develop your intuition. If everything was going to be easy for you, you wouldn't need to go to school. Don't change majors because you're worried about this, only if you're not INTERESTED in developing physical intuition.

Thanks for the quick response.

It's not that I don't have interest in doing so. It's just that I come from a low income family and I really don't want to take any risks because my decision will affect my whole family.

Have you ever known anyone who was absolutely horrible at engineering first, then turned out to be great later? Just wondering.

I use to have no physics intuition either. I remember having extreme difficulty solving and visualizing static force problems such as tension in a lamp hanging from two ropes. I overcame that by doing tons of problems and following numerous examples. Then everything became clearer to me, not only because I had memorized procedure, but I could now understand how forces worked. No one is born knowing physics, you just have to work through it.

I don't really understand your example of "X to an object". That's really vague so we can't help you there.

I think it's better to have none than to have wrong ones...

I have intuition, but most of them are usualyl wrong lol

fluffy123 said:
Have you ever known anyone who was absolutely horrible at engineering first, then turned out to be great later? Just wondering.

But you're not horrible, you said the class was easy for you.

If you give more specific examples of what you have issues with, we may be able to give advice. I had some issues with understanding labs early on, but I have no idea whether they bear any similarity to your issues.

I was going to say the same thing as flying pig.

Intuition leads to preconceptions. The best scientists realize that they know nothing, only the data knows!

DaveC426913 said:
I was going to say the same thing as flying pig.

Intuition leads to preconceptions. The best scientists realize that they know nothing, only the data knows!
With that approach science would never have gotten anywhere. A scientist without intuition is a glorified calculator and lab robot.

Edit: But of course none can do away with all of their intuition, I just wanted to point out that it isn't something that you would want to discard just like that.

Last edited:

Related to No Physics Intuition? Tips for Introductory Mechanics

1. What is "No Physics Intuition?"

"No Physics Intuition" refers to the lack of understanding or ability to grasp concepts related to physics, particularly in introductory mechanics. It can also refer to a lack of natural talent or instinct for solving physics problems.

2. How can I improve my physics intuition in introductory mechanics?

There are several tips that can help improve your physics intuition in introductory mechanics. These include practicing regularly, breaking down complex problems into smaller, manageable parts, seeking help from a tutor or peer, and making connections between different concepts in physics.

3. Is it possible to develop physics intuition even if I don't have a strong background in math?

Yes, it is possible to develop physics intuition even if you do not have a strong background in math. While a strong understanding of math can certainly help in understanding physics concepts, it is not a requirement. With consistent practice and a willingness to learn, anyone can develop their physics intuition.

4. How can I overcome my fear of physics and improve my intuition?

Overcoming a fear of physics and improving intuition can take time and effort. It is important to first identify the root of your fear, whether it be a lack of confidence, a difficult past experience, or something else. Once you have identified the cause, you can work on addressing it by seeking help, practicing regularly, and reframing your mindset towards physics.

5. Are there any resources or tools that can help improve my physics intuition in introductory mechanics?

Yes, there are many resources and tools available to help improve your physics intuition in introductory mechanics. These include textbooks, online tutorials and videos, practice problems, and study groups. It is important to find the resources that work best for you and to use them consistently in your learning process.