No. of disjunctions during meiosis

• Thread starter avaxtasafi
  • Start date
In summary, during meiosis, there are 46 disjunctions that occur during anaphase 2, including the separation of the sex chromosomes which are considered homologous despite not being defined as such in the textbook.
avaxtasafi
I'm trying to work out the number of disjunctions that occur during meiosis. I think during anaphase 2 there are 23 X 2 (where the chromatids disjunction) but... I don't know if the sex chromosomes disjunction, because this is how my textbook defines disjunction:

in meiosis, separation of homologous chromosomes or of the strangs (chromatids) of replicated chromosomes to opposite poles.

and I didn't think sex chromosomes were homologous.
But when I visualise it, it seems to make sense that they do. Any help would be appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, the sex chromosomes will also disjoin during meiosis. During anaphase 2, there are 23 pairs of homologous chromosomes, 2 of which are the sex chromosomes. Therefore, the total number of disjunctions during anaphase 2 is 46.

It seems like you are on the right track with your understanding of disjunction during meiosis. During anaphase 2, there are indeed 23 X 2 disjunctions as the chromatids separate to opposite poles. However, when it comes to the sex chromosomes, it is important to remember that they can also undergo disjunction during meiosis. While they may not be considered homologous in the traditional sense, they still undergo separation during meiosis and contribute to genetic diversity. Therefore, it is safe to say that there would be an additional disjunction during meiosis for the sex chromosomes. I hope this helps clarify things for you.

Related to No. of disjunctions during meiosis

1. How many disjunctions occur during meiosis?

In total, two disjunctions occur during meiosis, one in meiosis I and one in meiosis II.

2. What is the purpose of disjunction during meiosis?

The purpose of disjunction during meiosis is to ensure that each gamete receives a complete set of chromosomes, with one copy of each chromosome from each parent.

3. How does disjunction contribute to genetic diversity?

Disjunction allows for the shuffling of genetic material between homologous chromosomes, resulting in unique combinations of genes in each gamete. This contributes to genetic diversity within a species.

4. Can disjunction errors occur during meiosis?

Yes, disjunction errors can occur during meiosis, resulting in aneuploidy (an abnormal number of chromosomes) in the resulting gametes.

5. How does the number of disjunctions differ between male and female meiosis?

The number of disjunctions is the same for both male and female meiosis, with two disjunctions occurring in each. However, the process of meiosis may differ slightly between males and females due to the presence of sex chromosomes.