Mitosis and Meisosis - Chromatid Numbers?

• Thread starter swish123
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Numbers
In summary, the number of chromatids after mitosis and meiosis are completed depends on the type of cell and the type of division. During mitosis, the number of chromatids is reduced to zero as they become detached from the centromere. In humans, mitosis results in two diploid cells with 46 chromosomes each. Meiosis, on the other hand, results in four haploid cells with 23 chromosomes each. The first step of meiosis results in two haploid cells, and the second step results in two more haploid cells, creating a total of four haploid cells.
swish123
Hey I am new to this forum. Hope this is in the right section.

My question is about the number of chromatids after mitosis and meiosis are completed.

Here is what I think it is:

Mitosis:

46 Chromosomes(2 Chromatids each cell)
|
2 x 46 Chromosomes (1 Chromatid each cell)

Meisosis:

46 Chromosomes( 2 Chromatids each cell)
|
2 x 23 Chromosomes( 2 Chromatids each cell)
|
4 x 23 Chromosomes(1 Chromatid each cell)

I assume the daughter cell will be responsible to create an identical chromatid for each chromosome.
I tried to look this up but I wasn't able to find a source that emphasized the chromatid #'s.

Thanks for any help

Biology news on Phys.org
Once mitosis is completed there are no chromatids. Chromatids are two strands of duplicated DNA attached at the centromere. Once they become detached from the centromere they are called chromosomes.

The number of chomosome that "match" each other is usually referred to as ploidy.
Humans have 23 X 2 =46 chromosomes. After mitosis each daughter cells has 46 chromosomes. 23 pairs. Since tthere exists pairs, this cell is called diploid.

Triploid (plants mostly) have 3 sets, a triploid human cell, if it could survive at all, would have 3 X 23 = 69 chromosomes. Tetraploid means 4 copies, hexaploid 6. Commercial strawberry varieties are octaploid.

Gametes resulting from meiosis are haploid. They have one half the number of chromosomes of the parent cell because they have only one set of chromosomes, not a pair. Human gametes have 23 chromosomes.

I think this is what you are asking. If it is not please clarify.

Ok thanks for the prompt response.
I think I have most of it now.
One more question.

Meiosis(in humans):

Duploid Cell

2 x Haploid Cell

4 x Haploid CellsThe first step of Meisosis I understand that one set of the chromosome goes to each daughter cell.
So after the first step, there would be two cells with 23 Chromosomes.
Now how does the next step work?
How do you create 4 cells with 23 chromosomes?

Thanks again.

2->4 haploid cells results from cell division - it is called meiosis II, and is very like mitosis.

Meiosis I: a single 2n (diploid) cell --> two 1n (haploid) cells
Meiosis II: 2 haploid cells --> 4 haploid cells.

!

Hello,

Your understanding of the number of chromatids after mitosis and meiosis is correct. During mitosis, a cell with 46 chromosomes and 2 chromatids each will divide into two daughter cells, each with 46 chromosomes and 1 chromatid each. This results in a total of 92 chromatids in the two daughter cells.

During meiosis, a cell with 46 chromosomes and 2 chromatids each will go through two rounds of division, resulting in four daughter cells. In the first round, the cell will divide into two cells with 23 chromosomes and 2 chromatids each. In the second round, each of these cells will divide again, resulting in four cells with 23 chromosomes and 1 chromatid each. This means that the total number of chromatids in the four daughter cells is 46.

The daughter cells are responsible for creating an identical chromatid for each chromosome during cell division. This ensures that each daughter cell receives a complete set of genetic information.

I hope this helps clarify the number of chromatids in mitosis and meiosis. Let me know if you have any further questions. Thank you!

Related to Mitosis and Meisosis - Chromatid Numbers?

1. What is the difference between mitosis and meiosis?

Mitosis is the process of cell division that results in two identical daughter cells with the same number of chromosomes as the parent cell. Meiosis, on the other hand, is the process that produces four genetically unique daughter cells with half the number of chromosomes as the parent cell.

2. How many chromatids are present during mitosis and meiosis?

In mitosis, there are two chromatids per chromosome, resulting in a total of 46 chromatids in human cells. In meiosis, there are four chromatids per chromosome, resulting in a total of 92 chromatids in human cells.

3. Why is the number of chromatids important in cell division?

The number of chromatids is important because it determines the number of chromosomes in the resulting daughter cells. In mitosis, the two daughter cells have the same number of chromosomes as the parent cell, while in meiosis, the four daughter cells have half the number of chromosomes as the parent cell.

4. How does the number of chromatids change during meiosis?

In meiosis, the number of chromatids is reduced from four to two during the process of crossing over, where genetic material is exchanged between homologous chromosomes. The number is then reduced from two to one during the second division, resulting in four genetically unique daughter cells with half the number of chromosomes as the parent cell.

5. What happens to the number of chromatids when a mutation occurs?

When a mutation occurs, the number of chromatids can increase or decrease, depending on the type of mutation. For example, a mutation that causes a duplication of a chromosome would result in an increase in the number of chromatids, while a mutation that causes a deletion of a chromosome would result in a decrease in the number of chromatids.