No idea on how to start finding inverse Laplace Transform

In summary: So now you have X(s)= 1/(s+ 2/3)@ Now do you know any laplace transform that looks like this?Well I have this function:\mathcal{L}^{-1}(\frac{1}{s + a}) = e^{-at}So I assume the answer should be:x(t) = \mathcal{L}^{-1}(\frac{1}{s+\frac{2}{3}}) = e^{\frac{-2}{3}t}?
abc617
So my professor is really bad and I've had to try to learn to learn this stuff myself. But I have no idea where to start and where to go.

Problem:
[tex] X(s) = \frac{3(3s+2)}{9s^{2}+12s+4}[/tex]Attempt
All I've been able to figure out so far is:
-> [tex] X(s) = \frac{3}{(3s+2)^{2}} * \frac{1}{(3s+2)}}[/tex]

But after that I'm unsure. The table of Laplace Transforms I have doesn't have anything resembling this form:
[tex]\frac{1}{(as+b)^{2}}[/tex]-=-=-=-=-==-=-=-=-=-=-
On a side note, I still have this other thread [https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=465600] that I still am unsure of. Help on this thread would be greatly appreciated

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Use partial fractions on X(s)

If you know that 9s2+12s+4 factors as (3s+2)2, then how did you reduce X(s) to that?

Alright so I tried redoing it and this is what I redid:

-Resimplified the equation
[tex] X(s) \frac{3(3s+2)}{9s^{2}+12s+4}
=> \frac{3(3s+2)}{(3s+2)(3s+2)}
=> \frac{3}{3s+2} [/tex]

The problem here is that I don't know if there is an inverse transformation for the denominator because there is a coefficient in front of the [tex]s[/tex]. Would I factor out a [tex]3[/tex] and get this:

[tex]\frac{3}{3s+2} => \frac{3}{3} (\frac{1}{s+ \frac{2}{3}}) [/tex]

So now you have

X(s)= 1/(s+ 2/3)

Now do you know any laplace transform that looks like this?

Well I have
[tex]\mathcal{L}^{-1}(\frac{1}{s + a}) = e^{-at}[/tex]

So I assume the answer should be:
[tex] x(t) = \mathcal{L}^{-1}(\frac{1}{s+\frac{2}{3}}) = e^{\frac{-2}{3}t}[/tex]?

abc617 said:
So my professor is really bad and I've had to try to learn to learn this stuff myself. But I have no idea where to start and where to go.

Problem:
[tex] X(s) = \frac{3(3s+2)}{9s^{2}+12s+4}[/tex]

Attempt
All I've been able to figure out so far is:
-> [tex] X(s) = \frac{3}{(3s+2)^{2}} * \frac{1}{(3s+2)}}[/tex]
No. This doesn't follow from the equation above it.
[tex]\frac{3(3s+2)}{9s^{2}+12s+4} = \frac{3(3s + 2)}{(3s + 2)^2}[/tex]
Now simplify.

EDIT: I see that you corrected this in your later post.

abc617 said:
But after that I'm unsure. The table of Laplace Transforms I have doesn't have anything resembling this form:
[tex]\frac{1}{(as+b)^{2}}[/tex]

-=-=-=-=-==-=-=-=-=-=-
On a side note, I still have this other thread [https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=465600] that I still am unsure of. Help on this thread would be greatly appreciated

Last edited:
abc617 said:
Alright so I tried redoing it and this is what I redid:
This is better, but your notation is confusing. You should not be using =>
abc617 said:
-Resimplified the equation
[tex] X(s) \frac{3(3s+2)}{9s^{2}+12s+4}
=> \frac{3(3s+2)}{(3s+2)(3s+2)}
=> \frac{3}{3s+2} [/tex]
This is what you should have.
[tex] X(s) = \frac{3(3s+2)}{9s^{2}+12s+4}
= \frac{3(3s+2)}{(3s+2)(3s+2)}
= \frac{3}{3s+2} [/tex]

abc617 said:
The problem here is that I don't know if there is an inverse transformation for the denominator because there is a coefficient in front of the [tex]s[/tex]. Would I factor out a [tex]3[/tex] and get this:

[tex]\frac{3}{3s+2} => \frac{3}{3} (\frac{1}{s+ \frac{2}{3}}) [/tex]

Related to No idea on how to start finding inverse Laplace Transform

1. What is the inverse Laplace Transform?

The inverse Laplace Transform is a mathematical operation that allows you to find the original function from its Laplace Transform. It is the reverse process of the Laplace Transform, which converts a time-domain function into a frequency-domain function.

2. Why is it difficult to find the inverse Laplace Transform?

Finding the inverse Laplace Transform can be challenging because it involves solving complex integrals and using various mathematical techniques such as partial fractions, residues, and convolution. Additionally, there is no one set formula for finding the inverse Laplace Transform, and it differs for each function.

3. What are some strategies for finding the inverse Laplace Transform?

Some strategies for finding the inverse Laplace Transform include using tables and properties of Laplace Transforms, applying partial fraction decomposition, using the convolution theorem, and using the residue theorem. It is also helpful to have a strong understanding of complex analysis and calculus.

4. Can the inverse Laplace Transform be found numerically?

Yes, the inverse Laplace Transform can be approximated numerically using methods such as numerical integration or the Euler's method. However, these methods may not always be accurate and are typically used when the inverse Laplace Transform cannot be found analytically.

5. How do I know if I found the correct inverse Laplace Transform?

You can check if you have found the correct inverse Laplace Transform by plugging the result back into the Laplace Transform and seeing if it matches the original function. Additionally, you can compare your result with known inverse Laplace Transform formulas and properties to verify its correctness.