No graduate level electromagnetism? (Oh Jackson where art thou)

In summary: Where did you go?In summary, it seems that a graduate-level electrodynamics class is not common, and may not be a requirement for PhD programs in the US.
nonequilibrium
Next year I'm doing the one year master program at Perimeter Institute, and I was surprised to realize that there is no grad-level electrodynamics class (level Jackson, I would suppose?). I then checked the Math Tripos III (applied math, aka theoretical physics) course list (where I also considered going) and no grad level electrodynamics class either! Also, in my current university, I checked the master's program: no grad level electrodynamics.

So far I've only had a Griffiths level class, and when going through that it became clear that Jackson was the next step-up, for a grad level class, and I kind of assumed that at one point there would be a grad level class using that book, about electrodynamics. But the above seems to suggest that a grad level electrodynamics class is rare? What's the deal? Is it not important enough to be part of the grad curriculum (not even optional!)? Or are the above three universities the odd ones out?

Physics news on Phys.org
There is some electrodynamics in the master's at my old university (warwick). And I checked out another university (southampton) and they have some electrodynamics in their masters. So it seems common... I'm guessing since you mentioned maths tripos 3, that you were considering cambridge, so you are from the uk as well?

Nope, Belgium. Hm, odd... Especially since both Tripos III and Perimeter seem to focus on theoretical physics, and I would think that E&M is a non-negligible part of that.

That does seem odd. In physics PhD programs in the U.S., a Jackson-level E&M course is pretty much de rigeur AFAIK.

Every university I looked at required at least 1 quarter of graduate level E&M.

every physics grad student should have to suffer through jackson not once, but twice...it builds character

Dr Transport said:
every physics grad student should have to suffer through jackson not once, but twice...it builds character

We had to take two semesters of Jackson as undergrads.

George Jones said:
Where did you go?

That sounds harsh, but perhaps also an indication that I should simply try to self-study Jackson.

Related to No graduate level electromagnetism? (Oh Jackson where art thou)

1. What is graduate level electromagnetism?

Graduate level electromagnetism is a course that covers advanced topics in electromagnetism, including vector calculus, Maxwell's equations, and applications in modern physics and engineering.

2. What is the difference between graduate level electromagnetism and undergraduate level electromagnetism?

The main difference is the level of depth and complexity of the topics covered. Graduate level electromagnetism builds upon the fundamentals of undergraduate level electromagnetism and delves into more advanced topics and applications.

3. Why is Jackson's book so highly regarded in the study of electromagnetism?

Jackson's book, "Classical Electrodynamics", is known for its thorough and rigorous treatment of the subject. It covers topics in a clear and concise manner, making it a valuable resource for students and researchers in the field.

4. Is it necessary to have a strong mathematical background to study graduate level electromagnetism?

Yes, a strong understanding of vector calculus, differential equations, and linear algebra is essential for studying graduate level electromagnetism. These mathematical tools are used extensively in the analysis of electromagnetism.

5. What are some common applications of electromagnetism in modern technology?

Electromagnetism has many practical applications in modern technology, including in electrical power systems, telecommunications, computer engineering, and medical imaging. It is also the basis for many important technologies such as electric motors, generators, and antennas.