No Display After Replacing 750W Power Supply: Troubleshooting Ideas

In summary, Jonathan bought a new 750W power supply and installed it in his computer, but it caused his computer to shut down and his monitor to have display issues. He then tried a different power supply and a new video card, but the problem persisted. After seeking advice, it was determined that his motherboard was the issue and he would need to replace it. He received an email from the company where he purchased the power supply, offering to take responsibility for any defects. Another person suggested that the issue may be related to a screen problem, but it was not confirmed.
TamerLee
I just bought a new 750W powersupply off of newegg and put it in my computer and tried to fire it up. The fans on the back of my computer spun for a fraction of a second then everything turned off. My monitor kept going from green light to orange light for some reason (even when I turned off the power supply switch in the back and unplugged the power cord). I then took out the powersupply and put my old 480W one back in. Everything worked fine except there was no display on the monitor. When I turned my computer on it would go from orange to green for like 5 seconds then back to orange.

At first I thought that it might of been my Video Card. It is an AIW x800 xt. I went to the store and bought a 7800 and put it into my computer and tried turning my computer on. The same thing happened.

The only thing I can think of that is left is my motherboard. I really hope that it isn't fried because there is so much stuff to get out of the way to take it out+I need to buy another+I would have to reinstall Windows XP.

What do you guys think?

Computer science news on Phys.org
that hapened to my computer, it is the power supply, your motherbored is fine

dont know what the screens got rong with it

Sometimes motherboard and power supply problems can give similar symptoms. Since he has tried two power supplies, it must be the motherboard.

Well, after taking it into a computer hardware store to get it diagnosed, it turns out the mobo is fried. Now I have to find a new P4P800 even though they stopped making them a long time ago. :(

Oh well, thanks for the replys though. ;)

Interesting-
--------------------------------------
Dear Jonathan,

Nice to receive your email, I am sorry to hear what happen to your PC system, we will do our best to evaluate the situtation, if XClio PSU you bought is the reason casue your MB & videocard fried, we sure will take the responsibility, now I need you to do your best to answer below question as start, then we will take care from here.

QUESTIONS:
01. Newegg RMA# & your order#? I need to find the RMA PSU to determine what exactly going on.

02. Did you RMA back the PSU with all the cables?

03. there are 4PCS 6Pins PCI-E cable for the PSU you bought, 2PCS built in with the PSU, 2PCS in detachable cables, which PCI-E cable did you use to run your video card?

04. Have you still have the fried MB & video card in hand? we might need them if we confirm we do have problems with our PSU.

Again, sorry to hear what's going on, please advise if you can remember anything relate to your PC system, it will help us alot.

Thanks,

Best Regaards,

Meridian Technology Corp.

------------------------------------------

A company willing to take responsability for their defective products? No ways. :O

I can a screen problem, similar to yours. It would seem to go on like a permenant "standby" where if I turned off the screen and back on it wouldn't turn back on, I'd have to reset.

I fixed this through turning AGP read and write off in my graphics card options. I know that our problems my only be vaguely related but you never know, this may just be the problem.

My computer worked fine 5 minutes before I put the new power supply in actually. :)

Related to No Display After Replacing 750W Power Supply: Troubleshooting Ideas

1. Why is there no display after replacing the 750W power supply?

There could be multiple reasons why there is no display after replacing the 750W power supply. It could be due to a faulty power supply, incompatible components, loose connections, or a damaged motherboard. It is important to troubleshoot each of these possibilities to determine the cause.

2. How can I check if the power supply is faulty?

To check if the power supply is faulty, you can use a multimeter to test the voltage output. The average voltage output should be around 12V for the 12V rail, 5V for the 5V rail, and 3.3V for the 3.3V rail. If the readings are significantly different or there is no voltage output at all, the power supply may be faulty.

3. Could incompatible components be the reason for no display?

Yes, incompatible components can cause no display after replacing the power supply. It is important to check if the new power supply is compatible with the motherboard and other components. If not, you may need to replace the power supply with one that is compatible.

4. What should I do if all connections are secure but there is still no display?

If all connections are secure and the power supply is working properly, the issue may be with the motherboard. Check for any damaged components on the motherboard or try reseating the RAM and graphics card. If the issue persists, the motherboard may need to be replaced.

5. Is there a way to prevent no display after replacing the power supply?

Yes, there are a few steps you can take to prevent no display after replacing the power supply. Make sure to use a power supply that is compatible with your system and to properly secure all connections. It is also a good idea to test the new power supply before fully installing it in your system. Additionally, regularly maintaining and cleaning your computer can help prevent hardware issues.