I want to know whether there is any such theorem in maths

• Thread starter Atharva
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Theorem
In summary, a theorem in mathematics is a proven statement based on logical reasoning and evidence that explains or predicts mathematical phenomena. To prove a theorem, one must use logical steps and previously proven theorems. Not all theorems are true and there is no specific format for writing one. Anyone with a strong understanding of mathematics and logical reasoning can potentially understand and prove a theorem.
Atharva
Theorem:-
For any quadratic function f(x), the mean of the derivative of any two points is equal to the derivative of mean of those two points.Let f(x) be a real valued quadratic function defined as:-
f(x)=ax^2 +bx +c
Then, f'(x)= 2ax+b
Let's consider a interval [i , j] that is defined under the domain of the function
Thus,
f'(i)=2ai+b . And
f'(j)=2aj+b
Then,
(f'(i)+f'(j))/2 = a(i+j)+b -(1)
Now, let x=(i+j)/2
f'(x)=f'((i+j)/2)=2a((i+j)/2)+b
= a(i+j)+b - (2)
From (1) & (2) we get
(f'(i)+f'(j) )/2 = f'((i+j)/2)

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Atharva said:
Theorem:-
For any quadratic function f(x), the mean of the derivative of any two points is equal to the derivative of mean of those two points.Let f(x) be a real valued quadratic function defined as:-
f(x)=ax^2 +bx +c
Then, f'(x)= 2ax+b
Let's consider a interval [i , j] that is defined under the domain of the function
Thus,
f'(i)=2ai+b . And
f'(j)=2aj+b
Then,
(f'(i)+f'(j))/2 = a(i+j)+b -(1)
Now, let x=(i+j)/2
f'(x)=f'((i+j)/2)=2a((i+j)/2)+b
= a(i+j)+b - (2)
From (1) & (2) we get
(f'(i)+f'(j) )/2 = f'((i+j)/2)
Yes, it is called linearity.

Your question is, if ##\frac{1}{2}\cdot (D_if+D_jf) = D_{\frac{1}{2}(i+j)}f## holds for quadratic ##f##. Since the derivative ##F## of a quadratic function is a linear function, and evaluated at a certain point, it's an affine linear function, we have to decide, whether ##\frac{1}{2}(F(i)+F(j)) = F(\frac{i+j}{2})##. Now this is true for all linear or constant functions ##F##, for sums of those, and thus for affine linear functions as ##F(p)##.

Linearity is the answer to your question.

Last edited:
Likes Janosh89 and Atharva

Related to I want to know whether there is any such theorem in maths

1. What is a theorem in mathematics?

A theorem in mathematics is a proven statement or proposition that can be used to explain or predict certain mathematical phenomena. It is derived from mathematical concepts and principles and is considered to be true based on logical reasoning and evidence.

2. How do you prove a theorem in mathematics?

To prove a theorem in mathematics, one must use logical reasoning and a series of logical steps to show that the statement is true. This can involve using axioms, definitions, and previously proven theorems to build a logical argument.

3. Are all theorems in mathematics true?

No, not all theorems in mathematics are true. Some theorems may have been proven to be false or may only be true under certain conditions. Additionally, new evidence or discoveries may lead to a previously proven theorem being disproven.

4. Is there a specific format for writing a theorem in mathematics?

There is no specific format for writing a theorem in mathematics, but it typically includes a statement of the theorem, any necessary definitions or assumptions, and a proof or explanation of why the theorem is true.

5. Can anyone understand and prove a theorem in mathematics?

Yes, anyone with a strong understanding of mathematics and logical reasoning can understand and potentially prove a theorem. However, some theorems may require advanced knowledge and skills in specific mathematical concepts or techniques.