Nightmare bacteria causing death in hospitals

In summary: Some hospitals have implemented higher levels of precautions, such as those mentioned in the article. There are also home care recommendations to reduce the spread of the bacteria. The CDC is trying to spread awareness and get everyone on the same page. In summary, the CDC is warning hospitals of the new resistant bacteria strains, and suggests taking necessary precautions such as proper infection control and using antibiotics sparingly. If hospitals take these precautions, deaths from the bacteria can be reduced.
Evo
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
It sounds like if hospitals take necessary precautions, deaths from the new resistant strains of bacteria can be reduced and even stopped. I am posting this so that more people will be aware of the risks and can ask about it if they need to stay at the hospital. I know I will if I have to have surgery again, and I will demand that proper precautions are taken by doctors and staff that come into contact with me.

"Our strongest antibiotics don't work and patients are left with potentially untreatable infections," Dr Tom Frieden, director of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, said in a statement. He said doctors, hospitals and public health officials must work together to "stop these infections from spreading."

Over the past decade more and more hospitalized patients have been incurably infected with the bugs, Carbapenem-Resistant Enterobacteriaceae (CRE), which kill up to half of patients who get bloodstream infections from them, according to a new CDC report. The report did not say how many patients were killed by the bacteria.

The CDC is trying to make healthcare facilities more aware of the resistant germs, since their spread can be controlled with proper precautions and better practices. Israel, for instance, cut CRE infection rates in all 27 of its hospitals by more than 70 percent in one year.

Such measures include such standard infection control precautions as washing hands, as well as grouping patients with CRE together and dedicating staff, rooms and equipment to the care of patients with CRE alone, and using antibiotics sparingly. When an acute-care hospital in Florida had a yearlong CRE outbreak, implementing such measures cut the percentage of patients who got CRE to zero from 44 percent.

http://health.yahoo.net/news/s/nm/nightmare-bacteria-shrugging-off-antibiotics-on-rise-in-u-s

Biology news on Phys.org
The US CDC has several levels of measures. Here's their lowest level, for all facilities: http://www.cdc.gov/hai/organisms/cre/cre-toolkit/f-level-prevention-supmeasures.html#facility-recommendations

What is a "nightmare bacteria"?

A "nightmare bacteria" is a term used to describe a type of bacteria that is resistant to multiple antibiotics, making it difficult to treat and potentially deadly.

How do these bacteria cause death in hospitals?

These bacteria can cause death in hospitals by infecting patients who are already sick or have weakened immune systems. They can also spread from patient to patient through contact with contaminated surfaces or medical equipment.

What makes these bacteria different from other types of bacteria?

Nightmare bacteria are different from other types of bacteria because they have acquired genetic mutations that allow them to resist the effects of multiple antibiotics, making them much more difficult to treat.

How can hospitals prevent the spread of these bacteria?

Hospitals can prevent the spread of these bacteria by following strict infection control protocols, such as hand hygiene, isolation precautions, and proper cleaning and disinfection of equipment and surfaces. It is also important for hospitals to closely monitor and track cases of antibiotic-resistant infections.

What can individuals do to protect themselves from these bacteria?

Individuals can protect themselves from these bacteria by practicing good hygiene, such as washing their hands regularly and covering their mouth when coughing or sneezing. It is also important to only take antibiotics as prescribed and to finish the entire course of treatment, as improper use of antibiotics can contribute to the development of antibiotic-resistant bacteria.