Next Step: 2nd B.S. or M.S. (different from 1st B.S.)

• Thread starter Cod
  • Start date
  • Tags
    B.s.
In summary, it really depends on your career goals and what type of engineering degree you want. If you are unsure, I would recommend applying to both a BS in engineering and a Master's program in engineering.
Cod
Quick background...I'm 31-yrs old and recently graduate with a BS in CS and minor in math from University of Maryland University College. UMUC is a primarily online, state school that is regionally accredited. I'm unsure of its reputation since I've heard mixed reviews from employers, which is what brings me to this post.

I'd like to do something AeroEng-related (propulsion) and have the means to go back to school; however, should I go for a BS in AeroEng or try to get into an AeroEng MS program? I realize any foundation courses will be part of most grad programs, but unsure if this is the best route since I wouldn't have the full foundation of an engineering bachelor's.

Of note, financing either degree will not be an issue since I have the GI Bill available.

Any thoughts are greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
It really depends on the type of job you want. I noticed that for places like Boeing, they specifically tell you if they prefer Master's or Bachelor's (with PE license or not) and whether or not they prefer ABET accredited degrees.

The reason why this matters is because, I think to get a Professional Engineering license you need a BS degree or equivalent work experience as well as pass the exam of course.
http://www.nspe.org/resources/licensure/what-pe

http://www.abet.org/why-accreditation-matters/

Think about what you want as a career first and then choose. If you are unsure, I would apply for both.

Great points! After reading some stuff on ABET's website, it may be better for me to pursue a BS in engineering for two reasons:

1) ABET doesn't accredit a lot of Master's programs
2) Many of the jobs I found on company websites, indeed, etc. require a degree from an ABET accredited program and/or being a PE.

Thanks again for your insight.

Related to Next Step: 2nd B.S. or M.S. (different from 1st B.S.)

1. What is the difference between a 2nd Bachelor's degree and a Master's degree?

A 2nd Bachelor's degree is an undergraduate degree that requires typically 4 years of study and covers a broad range of subjects. A Master's degree is a graduate degree that typically requires 1-2 years of study and focuses on a specific field of study.

2. Why would someone choose to pursue a 2nd Bachelor's degree instead of a Master's degree?

There are a few reasons someone might choose to pursue a 2nd Bachelor's degree instead of a Master's degree. They may want to switch career paths and need a different undergraduate degree to do so. They may also want to gain a broader education before specializing in a specific field.

3. Can I use credits from my 1st Bachelor's degree towards a 2nd Bachelor's degree or a Master's degree?

It depends on the institution and program. Some schools may allow transfer credits from your 1st Bachelor's degree to count towards a 2nd Bachelor's degree or a Master's degree. However, this is not always the case, so it is important to check with the specific school and program you are interested in.

4. Are there any advantages to pursuing a 2nd Bachelor's degree before a Master's degree?

One advantage of pursuing a 2nd Bachelor's degree before a Master's degree is that it can provide a strong foundation in a new field of study. This can be beneficial for individuals who are switching career paths or want to gain a broader education before specializing. Additionally, some employers may value the completion of a 2nd Bachelor's degree as it shows dedication and a willingness to learn.

5. Is it possible to pursue a 2nd Bachelor's degree and a Master's degree simultaneously?

In most cases, it is not possible to pursue a 2nd Bachelor's degree and a Master's degree simultaneously. This is because the programs often have different requirements and cannot be completed at the same time. However, some schools may offer accelerated programs or combined Bachelor's/Master's degree programs that can be completed in a shorter amount of time.