Difference bewteen B.A Physics vs B.S Physics

In summary, the conversation discusses the differences between a B.A and B.S in Physics, with the person wondering if only having a B.A will prevent them from being accepted into graduate school. The two schools mentioned, St. Mary's College of Maryland and Clark University, have different course curriculums for their Physics majors, with St. Mary's offering a choice between Fundamental Physics and Applied Physics concentrations, while Clark has a set core curriculum. Both schools require upper-level courses in E&M, classical mechanics, statistical mechanics, and quantum mechanics for the Physics major. However, Clark also offers a set of courses specifically designed to prepare students for graduate work in physics. Despite only offering a B.A, Harvard has not received complaints about this
dcasarrubias
What is the difference between a B.A in Physics and a B.S in Physics? There are 2 liberal arts schools that I have been accepted into but both only offer a B.A in Physics so I can't really compare the course curriculum between a B.A and B.S, since they don't offer a B.S. Will this be something that can prevent me from being accepted into graduate school?

The first school "St Mary's College of Maryland" offers two options: "Physics Major with Concentration in Fundamental Physics " and "Physics Major with Concentration
in Applied Physics" These are the classes each must take:

Physics Major with Concentration in Fundamental Physics

Fundamentals of Physics 1*
Fundamentals of Physics 2*
Fundamentals of Physics 3
Mechanics
Advanced Physics Laboratory
Electricity & Magnetism
Quantum Mechanics
Statistical Mechanics
St. Mary's Project (8 credits)
Calculus 1
Calculus 2
Vector Calculus
Linear Algebra

ELECTIVES(One of the following)
Mathematical Methods in Physics,
Optics,
Astrophysics & Cosmology
Senior Seminar in Physics,
Differential Equations,
Physical Chemistry,
Independent Study (PHYS 399/499)

"Physics Major with Concentration in Applied Physics"

Fundamentals of Physics 1*
Fundamental of Physics 2*
Fundamental of Physics 3*
Electronics
Advanced Physics Laboratory
Electricity & Magnetism
Quantum Mechanics
Intro to Computer Science 1 or General Chemistry 2
Topics in Applied Physics 1
Topics in Applied Physics 2
Calculus 1
Calculus 2
Vector Calculus
Linear Algebra

ELECTIVES(One of the following)

Mechanics,
Optics,
Astrophysics & Cosmology,
Statistical Mechanics,
Senior Seminar Physics,
Differential Equations,
Physical Chemistry,
Software Engineering 1,
Partial Differential Equations

For the second school "Clark University" the courses in the core curriculum include:

1. Introductory Physics (2):

PHYS 120 - Introductory Physics - Part I and
PHYS 121 - Introductory Physics – Part II
or
PHYS 110 - Introductory Physics - Part I and
PHYS 111 - Introductory Physics - Part II

2. Intermediate-level Physics (3):

PHYS 123 - Methods of Physics
PHYS 130 - Oscillations, Waves and Optics
PHYS 131 - Quantum Physics and Relativity

3. Calculus (4):

MATH 124 - Honors Calculus I
MATH 125 - Honors Calculus II
MATH 130 - Linear Algebra
MATH 131 - Multivariate Calculus

4. Laboratory-based courses (1):
PHYS 127 - Computer Simulation Laboratory
OR
PHYS 219 - Electronics Laboratory

5. Upper-level courses (4):
PHYS 150 - Statistical and Thermal Physics
PHYS 160 - Classical Mechanics
PHYS 161 - Electricity and Magnetism
PHYS 171 - Introduction to Quantum Mechanics

6. Senior project (1):

PHYS 299 - Directed Studies in Physics
Total in core curriculum: 15
Additional approved electives: 3
Total in major program: 18

These are all the Physics courses at Clark university

Physics Courses

PHYS 020 - Discovering Physics
PHYS 030 - The Nature of Light
PHYS 110 - Introductory Physics - Part I
PHYS 111 - Introductory Physics - Part II
PHYS 120 - Introductory Physics - Part I
PHYS 121 - Introductory Physics – Part II
PHYS 123 - Methods of Physics
PHYS 127 - Computer Simulation Laboratory
PHYS 130 - Oscillations, Waves and Optics
PHYS 131 - Quantum Physics and Relativity
PHYS 140 - Energy, the Environment, and Climate
PHYS 145 - Physics of Biomolecular networks
PHYS 150 - Statistical and Thermal Physics
PHYS 160 - Classical Mechanics
PHYS 161 - Electricity and Magnetism
PHYS 165 - Continuum Mechanics
PHYS 167 - Fluid Mechanics and Applications
PHYS 169 - Information Theory, Inference, and Networks
PHYS 171 - Introduction to Quantum Mechanics
PHYS 201 - Classical Dynamics
PHYS 202 - Electrodynamics
PHYS 205 - Quantum Mechanics – Part I
PHYS 206 - Quantum Mechanics – Part II
PHYS 209 - Statistical Mechanics
PHYS 219 - Electronics Laboratory
PHYS 243 - Technology of Renewable Energy
PHYS 290 - Senior Seminar
PHYS 299 - Directed Studies in Physics

Physics news on Phys.org
In the U.S. they are the same thing. Different schools just call by either name. I think some places Princeton call them A.B.

Some schools (I can only speak of about 30 years ago), the BS is harder in that it usually required 1-2 more courses. Many schools had only one program B.A or B.S. The admissions council at my graduate school treated them equally (including the one person who got the A.B. recognized as a B.A.)

At UCLA, the difference between the B.S. and the B.A. is two labs (instead of one) and three physics (or physics related) electives.
http://www.pa.ucla.edu/content/majors-and-requirements

dcasarrubias said:
they don't offer a B.S. Will this be something that can prevent me from being accepted into graduate school?

No. Lots of people with B.A.'s in physics from small schools get into "decent" grad schools. I got into Michigan with a B.A. from a small college.

Harvard offers only a B.A., by the way. I've never seen anyone complain about that. :wink:

If physics grad school is your aim, take upper level e&m, classical mechanics, stat mech, and quantum (at least one semester each), and do at least one Summer of research.

TomServo said:
If physics grad school is your aim, take upper level e&m, classical mechanics, stat mech, and quantum (at least one semester each)

Right, those are the "core four." Note that Clark requires exactly those four upper-level courses as part of their physics major, and St. Mary's requires them in their "Physics Major with Concentration in Fundamental Physics".

[added later] Aha, now I see that Clark has two sets of the "core four" courses: 150, 160, 161 & 171 which are part of the requirements for the major, and 201, 202, 205, 206 & 209 which cover the same areas, with QM being a 2-course sequence.

If you go to the physics major page at

http://catalog.clarku.edu/preview_program.php?catoid=9&poid=1104

and click on the link for e.g. Physics 201, you get a description which includes the statement "Designed to prepare students for graduate work in physics." These courses appear to be the same lectures as the corresponding graduate courses (301, 302 etc.) but with different homework problems and tests. I've never seen a setup like this before.

Last edited:

Related to Difference bewteen B.A Physics vs B.S Physics

1. What is the main difference between a B.A in Physics and a B.S in Physics?

The main difference between a B.A in Physics and a B.S in Physics is the focus and depth of the coursework. A B.A in Physics typically includes a broader range of courses in different fields such as humanities, social sciences, and arts, in addition to the core physics courses. On the other hand, a B.S in Physics focuses primarily on rigorous coursework in physics and related fields, with less room for electives outside the sciences.

2. Are there any differences in career opportunities between a B.A and B.S in Physics?

Generally, a B.S in Physics provides more opportunities for careers in research and technical fields, such as working in a laboratory or pursuing graduate studies in physics or a related field. A B.A in Physics may lead to a wider range of careers, including teaching, science writing, or science policy, which may not require as much specialized knowledge in physics.

3. Do B.A and B.S in Physics programs have different admission requirements?

While the admission requirements may vary among different universities, most B.A and B.S in Physics programs have similar basic requirements such as high school coursework in math and science. However, some B.S programs may require additional coursework in physics or calculus.

4. Can I switch between a B.A and B.S in Physics during my undergraduate studies?

It is usually possible to switch between a B.A and B.S in Physics program during your undergraduate studies, but it may require additional coursework or meeting certain GPA requirements. It is important to consult with your academic advisor to determine the best path for your academic and career goals.

5. Which degree is better for pursuing a career in physics?

Both a B.A and B.S in Physics can lead to successful careers in physics, but the choice ultimately depends on your interests and goals. If you are interested in a broader range of fields and may want to pursue a career outside of physics, a B.A may be a better fit. If you are passionate about physics and want to pursue a research or technical career in the field, a B.S may be a better option.