Newton's third law, bullet through wood question

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of how far a 0.0048kg pullet, traveling at 200m/s and experiencing an average resisting force of 4500N, penetrates a large wooden fence post. The initial answer is given as 2.13cm, but it is questioned and determined to be incorrect due to the poorly worded question and the need to use energy methods to solve it. The conversation also delves into the concept of average force and its interpretation over distance or time. In the end, it is agreed that the question should have specified whether the force was constant or averaged over time.
MightyMuddy
1. A 0.0048kg pullet traveling with a speed of 200m/s penetrates a large wooden fence post. If the average resisting force exerted on the bullet was 4500N how far did the bullet penetrate.

2. F=ma?

F = ma
F/m = a
4500/0.0048 = 937500? So there's a reverse acceleration of 937500m/s?
200/937500 = 0.000213
So it takes 0.000213 seconds for the bullet to stop and it has an average speed of 100m/s.
Therefore the bullet travels 0.0213m or 2.13cm.

Well that's my wrong answer, according to the book it's 8.5cm.

Where did I go wrong, I'm sorry I'm very clueless.

Physics news on Phys.org
MightyMuddy said:
Well that's my wrong answer, according to the book it's 8.5cm.

Where did I go wrong, I'm sorry I'm very clueless.
You didn't go wrong, the book did. (Double check using energy methods.)

Doc Al said:
You didn't go wrong, the book did. (Double check using energy methods.)

Thanks for the response, fairly happy to hear that but unfortunately I'm not too sure what energy methods are? Sorry, I'm very new to learning physics.

MightyMuddy said:
Thanks for the response, fairly happy to hear that but unfortunately I'm not too sure what energy methods are? Sorry, I'm very new to learning physics.
By "energy methods" I just meant for you to use the concept of work and energy to solve the problem. You'll get the same answer, of course.

It's also a poorly worded question. What does "average force" mean? Average over distance or average over time? I feel average over time is the more natural interpretation. But in that case you only have enough info to say how long it took to come to rest. To get the distance as well you need to assume the force was constant.

haruspex said:
It's also a poorly worded question. What does "average force" mean? Average over distance or average over time? I feel average over time is the more natural interpretation. But in that case you only have enough info to say how long it took to come to rest. To get the distance as well you need to assume the force was constant.
Agreed. Sadly, such poorly worded questions are standard fare in most intro physics books.

haruspex said:
How would you define average force over distance? If Favg/dist = ΔKE/ΔS it would be the same as average force over time: Favg/time = Δp/Δt = mΔv/Δt = maavg/time

AM

Andrew Mason said:
How would you define average force over distance? If Favg/dist = ΔKE/ΔS it would be the same as average force over time: Favg/time = Δp/Δt = mΔv/Δt = maavg/time
Why do you think those definitions would be equal, in general?

Andrew Mason said:

AM
Suppose the retardation force is from a spring. Accn = -k2x = -k2A sin (kt). As it goes from zero accn to max, change in momentum in time π/k = mkA, so avg accn over time is k2A/π. Change in KE is m(kA)2/2, and the distance is A, so the average accn over distance is k2A/2.

Doc Al said:
Why do you think those definitions would be equal, in general?
I didn't say they were equal in general. I just meant they were equal here. Maybe I am missing something but I don't see why one would have to assume the force is constant.

The bullet comes to a stop so vf = 0. Since the stopping distance Δs = vavgΔt = (vf+vi)Δt/2 = viΔt/2

[itex]F_{avg/dist} = m\Delta(v^2)/\Delta s = m(v_f^2 - v_i^2)/2\Delta s = mv_i^2/2\Delta s = mv_i/Δt = F_{avg/time}[/itex]

AM

Last edited:
Andrew Mason said:
I didn't say they were general definitions. I just said they were equal here.
The bullet comes to a stop so vf = 0. Since the stopping distance Δs = vavgΔt = (vf+vi)Δt/2 = viΔt/2

[itex]F_{avg/dist} = m\Delta(v^2)/\Delta s = m(v_f^2 - v_i^2)/2\Delta s = mv_i^2/2\Delta s = mv_i/Δt = F_{avg/time}[/itex]

AM

They are equal, of course, if the deceleration is constant, and you have assumed that in your equations. Try my SHM example, or perhaps simpler, just consider two different rates of deceleration over the interval.
My complaint is that the question attempted to be more general by mentioning average deceleration, instead of saying it was constant. But if it's not constant then it is necessary to state what it is averaged over.

haruspex said:
They are equal, of course, if the deceleration is constant, and you have assumed that in your equations. Try my SHM example, or perhaps simpler, just consider two different rates of deceleration over the interval.
My complaint is that the question attempted to be more general by mentioning average deceleration, instead of saying it was constant. But if it's not constant then it is necessary to state what it is averaged over.
I agree with haruspex regarding this issue.

Andrew Mason said:
When you use vavg = (vf+vi)/2, you are assuming constant acceleration.

SammyS said:
As do I.

Doc Al said:
When you use vavg = (vf+vi)/2, you are assuming constant acceleration.
Yes, of course!

SammyS said:
As do I!

AM

Related to Newton's third law, bullet through wood question

1. What is Newton's third law?

Newton's third law states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. This means that when an object exerts a force on another object, the second object will exert an equal and opposite force back on the first object.

2. How does Newton's third law apply to the bullet through wood question?

In the bullet through wood question, the bullet exerts a force on the wood as it travels through it. According to Newton's third law, the wood will also exert an equal and opposite force on the bullet. This force can slow down or even stop the bullet's motion.

3. Why does the bullet stop in the wood if the forces are equal and opposite?

The bullet does not stop immediately because the forces are not acting on the bullet at the same time. As the bullet travels through the wood, it experiences a force that slows it down. Once the bullet is fully embedded in the wood, the wood exerts a force back on the bullet, stopping it completely.

4. Can Newton's third law be applied to other scenarios besides the bullet through wood question?

Yes, Newton's third law can be applied to any situation where there is an interaction between two objects. For example, when you push a door open, the door pushes back on you with an equal and opposite force.

5. How does Newton's third law relate to momentum?

Newton's third law is closely related to the concept of momentum. According to the law, the force exerted by the bullet on the wood is equal and opposite to the force exerted by the wood on the bullet. This means that the total momentum before and after the interaction between the bullet and wood remains the same.