Understanding Newton's Third Law in Action: A Truck Pushing an SUV

In summary, the net force on the SUV is 2500 x 3.75 and the force exerted by the SUV on the truck is equal and opposite to that. The amount 2300 x 3.75 is the net force on the truck, which is a combination of the force from the ground pushing the truck forward and the force of the SUV pushing back on the truck.
eglaud

Homework Statement

A 2,300 kg truck pushes a 2,500 kg SUV, and they both move at 3.75 m/s2. I am to find the force that the SUV exerts on the truck.

Homework Equations

F=ma

The Attempt at a Solution

I solved this problem already, it was just taking the acceleration I had found (3.75) and multiplying it by the mass of the SUV, 2,500 kg. My issue is why can't we use Newtons Third Law here, and say that the force of the truck pushing on the suv (2,300 * 3.75) is the same as the force of the suv pushing back onto the truck? Why does this not apply? Some simple clarification would be fantastic, thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Newton's Second Law F=ma tells us that the net force on the SUV is 2500 x 3.75. If no other forces are operating on the SUV - including that its motor is off and it is in Neutral - then that is the force exerted by the truck on the SUV.

Then Newton's Third Law tells us that the force exerted by the SUV on the truck is equal and opposite to that, ie -2500 x 3.75.

The amount 2300 x 3.75 doesn't come into any of that. 2300 x 3.75 is the net force on the truck, which we get from Newton's Second Law applied to the truck. that net force will most likely come from a gross force of (2500+2300) x 3.75 from the ground pushing the truck forwards (reaction against the truck's wheels pushing on the ground with the truck engine in operation), together with a force of -2500 x 3.75 which is the SUV pushing back on the truck.

Likes eglaud
eglaud said:
My issue is why can't we use Newtons Third Law here, and say that the force of the truck pushing on the suv (2,300 * 3.75) is the same as the force of the suv pushing back onto the truck? Why does this not apply? Some simple clarification would be fantastic, thanks!

Why do you think the force the truck can apply depends on the weight of the truck (2,300)? It depends on the power of the engine in the truck.

eglaud said:

Homework Statement

A 2,300 kg truck pushes a 2,500 kg SUV, and they both move at 3.75 m/s2. I am to find the force that the SUV exerts on the truck.

Homework Equations

F=ma

The Attempt at a Solution

I solved this problem already, it was just taking the acceleration I had found (3.75) and multiplying it by the mass of the SUV, 2,500 kg. My issue is why can't we use Newtons Third Law here, and say that the force of the truck pushing on the suv (2,300 * 3.75) is the same as the force of the suv pushing back onto the truck? Why does this not apply? Some simple clarification would be fantastic, thanks!
Have you drawn separate free body diagrams on the truck and on the suv, or do you feel that you have advanced to the point where you no longer need to use free body diagrams?

andrewkirk said:
Newton's Second Law F=ma tells us that the net force on the SUV is 2500 x 3.75. If no other forces are operating on the SUV - including that its motor is off and it is in Neutral - then that is the force exerted by the truck on the SUV.

Then Newton's Third Law tells us that the force exerted by the SUV on the truck is equal and opposite to that, ie -2500 x 3.75.

The amount 2300 x 3.75 doesn't come into any of that. 2300 x 3.75 is the net force on the truck, which we get from Newton's Second Law applied to the truck. that net force will most likely come from a gross force of (2500+2300) x 3.75 from the ground pushing the truck forwards (reaction against the truck's wheels pushing on the ground with the truck engine in operation), together with a force of -2500 x 3.75 which is the SUV pushing back on the truck.

Thanks, this explains it perfectly!

1. What is Newton's Third Law?

Newton's Third Law states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. This means that when two objects interact, they exert equal and opposite forces on each other.

2. How does Newton's Third Law apply to everyday life?

Newton's Third Law can be observed in many everyday situations, such as throwing a ball, walking, or even sitting in a chair. When you throw a ball, your hand exerts a force on the ball, and the ball exerts an equal and opposite force on your hand. Similarly, when you walk, your feet push against the ground, and the ground pushes back with an equal and opposite force, allowing you to move forward.

3. Does Newton's Third Law only apply to objects in contact?

No, Newton's Third Law applies to all interactions between two objects, regardless of whether they are in contact or not. For example, the Earth's gravitational force on an object is its weight, and the object exerts an equal and opposite force on the Earth, even though they are not in direct contact.

4. Can Newton's Third Law be violated?

No, Newton's Third Law is a fundamental law of physics that has been extensively tested and has always been found to hold true. It is a cornerstone of classical mechanics and is essential in understanding the motion of objects.

5. How does Newton's Third Law relate to momentum?

Newton's Third Law is closely related to the concept of momentum, which is the product of an object's mass and velocity. According to Newton's Third Law, when two objects interact, they exert equal and opposite forces on each other, causing an equal and opposite change in momentum. This means that the total momentum of a system remains constant, unless an external force acts on it.