Newtons Second Law Formula Question

In summary, the conversation is about finding the location and time of an object that falls from a distance of 800 feet with an initial velocity of 4 f/s, with the assumption that air resistance can be disregarded. The formula discussed is \frac{dv}{dt} = g - \frac{bv}{m}, but since air resistance is ignored, the only force acting on the object is gravity (g). Thus, the formula simplifies to dv/dt = -g, and integrating this will give the velocity (v) as a function of time (t). Then, by replacing v with ds/dt, the position (s) can be determined as a function of time. The importance of considering the direction of the
scud0405

Homework Statement

I've been given a problem that an object falls from a distance of 800 feet with an initial velocity of 4 f/s. Gravity acts on the object, but air resistance can be disregarded. Find the location at time t and find when the object hits the ground.

The Attempt at a Solution

I am confused on the formula. Is the formula that I need to use: [tex]\frac{dv}{dt} = g - \frac{bv}{m}[/tex] ?

So with all the numbers plugged in the formula would be:

[tex]\frac{dv}{dt} = 9.8 - \frac{12}{m}[/tex] ?

Then I can integrate this and solve to get the answer?

[tex]\frac{dv}{dt} + \frac{12}{m} = 9.8[/tex]

Mass is not given, so what do I do about the m? I'm completely lost and I just need a hint or two about how to setup the formula.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Why would you use this formula? [tex]\frac{dv}{dt} = g - \frac{bv}{m}[/tex]
This says that a = g - something. Since you are told you can ignore air resistance, what could possibly be acting on the object to reduce its acceleration?

Isn't dv/dt simply going to be g?

Hmm... it seems it would be, but how would I set-up the formula to determine where the object is at time t? I can't do that with just dv/dt = 9.8, can I?

The at time = 0, velocity is 4, so assuming no air resistance, does that mean it takes 125 seconds to reach the bottom, or does gravity alter its speed?

You have dv/dt = -9.8. (I'm choosing the upward direction to be positive.) How can you solve this differential equation to get v as a function of t? Don't forget that v(0) = -4 ft/sec. You didn't say, but I'm assuming you meant that the initial velocity was downward.

After you get v(t), you can replace v(t) by ds/dt, and do something with that to get the position s as a function of t. This time, don't forget that s(0) = + 800 ft.

Hmm.. so to find v, I would integrate dv/dt, which would give me: v = 9.8t + C? Then, to solve for c, I do 4 = c and that gives me the equation for time which is v(t) = 9.8t + 4?

Is this correct so far, or what do I need to reconsider?

No, not correct, but you have the basic idea. You need to pay attention to the signs of things, though. The way I have set it up, down is negative and up is positive.

Okay, so would it just be v(t)= -9.8t + 4 and then I substitute v(t) with ds/dt?

No, it's partly wrong. Which direction is the initial velocity? Reread post #4 carefully.

Oh, yeah, whoops. It is: v(t)= -9.8t - 4. Okay, now I make the problem:

ds/dt = -9.8t - 4

Am I on the right track now?

I am suppose to integrate next, correct?

Yes and yes.

Related to Newtons Second Law Formula Question

What is Newton's Second Law Formula?

Newton's Second Law Formula, also known as the Law of Force and Acceleration, states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on the object and inversely proportional to its mass. In mathematical terms, it can be expressed as F = ma, where F is the net force, m is the mass of the object, and a is the acceleration.

What are the units of measurement used in Newton's Second Law Formula?

The unit of force used in Newton's Second Law Formula is the Newton (N), which is equivalent to kg*m/s^2. The unit of mass is typically measured in kilograms (kg) and acceleration is measured in meters per second squared (m/s^2).

How is Newton's Second Law Formula used in real life?

Newton's Second Law Formula is used in many real-life applications, such as calculating the force needed to launch a rocket into space, determining the speed of a vehicle based on the force applied to it, and understanding the motion of objects in everyday activities like throwing a ball or riding a bike.

How does Newton's Second Law Formula relate to the other laws of motion?

Newton's Second Law Formula is closely related to Newton's First Law of Motion, which states that an object at rest will remain at rest and an object in motion will remain in motion at a constant velocity unless acted upon by an external force. The Second Law expands on this by explaining how the object's velocity will change when a force is applied to it. It is also related to Newton's Third Law of Motion, which states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. In other words, the force applied to an object will result in an equal and opposite force acting on the object causing the change in its motion.

Can Newton's Second Law Formula be applied to all types of motion?

Yes, Newton's Second Law Formula can be applied to all types of motion, including linear, circular, and rotational motion. As long as there is a net force acting on an object, its acceleration can be calculated using this formula.