Newton's optical theory of gravity

In summary: If you looked it up on Wikipedia, you would see pages of places where it fails.Yes, that is the theory I was trying to remember
TEFLing
Isaac Newton had an optical theory of gravity which you could make work with the light like corpuscles Newton never knew of, namely neutrinos

So said my physics Professor once ... I wish there was a forum for discussing Newton's optical gravity theory, I think it could help explain ( the Newtonian half of ) MOND too... Which I could only know with discussion

Is it permissible to discuss Newton's optical theory of gravity?

Science news on Phys.org
I have never heard of this supposed theory by Newton. If you can provide the reference, then we can discuss it.

Your description of it sounds similar to LeSage's long-discredited theory of gravity.

Likes TEFLing
TEFLing said:
Isaac Newton had an optical theory of gravity which you could make work with the light like corpuscles Newton never knew of, namely neutrinos

So said my physics Professor once ... I wish there was a forum for discussing Newton's optical gravity theory, I think it could help explain ( the Newtonian half of ) MOND too... Which I could only know with discussion

Is it permissible to discuss Newton's optical theory of gravity?
Newton had a theory of optics, which was corpuscular. He also had a theory of gravity. I don't believe they were ever combined.

DaleSpam said:
I have never heard of this supposed theory by Newton. If you can provide the reference, then we can discuss it.

Your description of it sounds similar to LeSage's long-discredited theory of gravity.
Could you elaborate briefly please?

DaleSpam said:

Yes, that is the theory I was trying to remember

I understand that the theory has not been disproven in the sense of making predictions which failed

TEFLing said:
I understand that the theory has not been disproven in the sense of making predictions which failed

It has some pretty severe downfalls. To quote John Playfair:

An immense multitude of atoms, thus destined to pursue their never ending journey through the infinity of space, without changing their direction, or returning to the place from which they came, is a supposition very little countenanced by the usual economy of nature. Whence is the supply of these innumerable torrents; must it not involve a perpetual exertion of creative power, infinite both in extent and in duration?

TEFLing said:

If you looked it up on Wikipedia, you would see pages of places where it fails.

TEFLing said:
Yes, that is the theory I was trying to remember

As with all questions of this sort, you will get better answers if you research the topic yourself first, then come back with more specific questions. If you google for "le sage gravity" you will find many good references - read these, and we can help you through any parts that aren't clear.

TEFLing said:
It predicts spontaneous and continual heating, which has failed. It predicts graviational drag which has failed. It predicts a violation of the equivalence principle which has failed.

It also would require tachyons which, while not exactly a failed prediction is certainly a prediction with no experimental support. All of this is covered on the Wikipedia page.

Related to Newton's optical theory of gravity

1. What is Newton's optical theory of gravity?

Newton's optical theory of gravity is a theory proposed by Sir Isaac Newton in the late 17th century that explains the force of gravity as a result of particles of light, called "corpuscles," being emitted from massive objects. These particles are believed to travel at an incredibly high speed and attract other objects, causing them to move towards the source of the particles.

2. How does Newton's optical theory of gravity differ from his other theories?

Newton's optical theory of gravity differs from his other theories, such as the universal law of gravitation, in that it proposes a physical mechanism for the force of gravity rather than simply describing its effects. This theory was later disproven by Albert Einstein's theory of general relativity, which explains gravity as the curvature of space-time.

3. What evidence supports Newton's optical theory of gravity?

The only evidence that supported Newton's optical theory of gravity at the time was that it was able to accurately predict the motion of objects in our solar system. However, this evidence was later found to be inadequate as it could not explain certain phenomena, such as the orbit of Mercury.

4. Why was Newton's optical theory of gravity eventually replaced?

Newton's optical theory of gravity was eventually replaced by Einstein's theory of general relativity because it could not fully explain the observed movements of celestial bodies. Einstein's theory provided a more comprehensive and accurate understanding of gravity, incorporating the effects of acceleration and the curvature of space-time.

5. Is Newton's optical theory of gravity still relevant today?

No, Newton's optical theory of gravity is no longer considered a valid explanation for the force of gravity. However, it played a crucial role in the development of modern theories of gravity and remains an important part of scientific history.