Newton's Method for optmization

In summary: So the set up is very similar, but you are not dividing by f'(p).In summary, the conversation discusses setting up Newton's Method using a revenue equation and a cost equation to find the price of maximization for profit. However, the formula given by the speaker makes no sense and it is suggested that they may have meant "the price of maximization for the profit" instead. Additionally, it is mentioned that the speaker may be making a conceptual mistake and that the correct approach would be to find a price at which the derivative of profit is zero, rather than dividing by it.
PBJinx
This is less a homework problem and more conceptual help for a homework problem

I have been given the information for a revenue equation and a cost equation

I set up Newton's Method with

XN+1=[tex]\frac{revenue-cost}{the derivative of the top}[/tex]

where both revenue and cost are determined by price

what I would like to know is that my thinking is right with this set up. The root that I solve for is the price of maximization for the price.

Physics news on Phys.org
PBJinx said:
what I would like to know is that my thinking is right with this set up. The root that I solve for is the price of maximization for the price.

You didn't explain what your thinking was, you only gave a formula. The formula that you gave makes no sense to me.

"the price of maximization for the price" doesn't seem to make much sense. Did you mean "the price of maximization for the profit"? The reason I ask is because profit is obviously defined as (revenue - cost) and it appears you have the ratio: profit/(derivative of profit).

First, note that you're missing an x_n term. Remember if you want to find a root for f, i.e., a p such such that f(p) = 0, Newton's method tells you to look at a sequence of the form x_(n+1) = x_n - f(x_n)/f'(x_n).

But if you are trying to maximize profit, I think you are making a mistake on a conceptual level. If f is the profit function defined by (revenue - cost), you're not trying to find a price at which profit is zero (though certainly there are many microeconomic situations where this would be of interest). Rather you need to find p such that f'(p) = 0.

Related to Newton's Method for optmization

1. What is Newton's Method for optimization?

Newton's Method is a mathematical algorithm used to find the minimum or maximum value of a function. It is based on the principle of using the first and second derivatives of a function to iteratively update the guess for the optimal value.

2. How does Newton's Method work?

Newton's Method works by starting with an initial guess for the optimal value, then using the first and second derivatives of the function to calculate a better guess. This process is repeated until the optimal value is reached within a desired level of precision.

3. What types of problems can Newton's Method be used for?

Newton's Method can be used for both unconstrained and constrained optimization problems. It is commonly used in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics to find the optimal values for a given set of parameters.

4. What are the advantages of using Newton's Method?

One of the main advantages of Newton's Method is its speed and efficiency in finding optimal values. It also works well for a wide range of functions and is robust to small changes in the initial guess.

5. What are the limitations of Newton's Method?

Newton's Method may not always converge to the optimal value, especially if the initial guess is far from the actual optimal value or if the function has multiple local minima or maxima. It also requires knowledge of the first and second derivatives of the function, which may be difficult to obtain in some cases.