Newton's First law of motion -- Boy jumping vertically on a moving train

In summary, the conversation discussed the idea of whether a train or an airplane moving at a constant speed will land in the same spot as it took off. The conclusion was that due to the principles of inertia and Newton's laws, objects inside the moving vehicle will behave as if they are stationary, and therefore the statement is false. The discussion also touched upon personal observations and experiences that support this conclusion.
Mikasun1108
Homework Statement
A boy was inside a train moving at a constant speed when he jumped. When he landed on the floor of the train after the jump, he did not land on the same spot as the train was moving forward.
a. True
b. False
Relevant Equations
Newton's first law of motion
I'm not sure if my answer is correct but I think the answer is false.
Thank you for your help :)
-sun1108

Likes Delta2
Physics news on Phys.org
Show some effort : why do you think the statement is "false" ?

hmmm27 said:
Show some effort : why do you think the statement is "false" ?

I personally think that it is because the train wasn't accelerating therefore it will land at the same spot. And also sort of because of my own experience (not entirely sure) when flight attendence pour some water/juice etc the liquid comes straight down and not on a different angle. Therefore my logic brought me to this conclusion. Sorry fo just adding this now, i wasn't entirely sure.

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes PeroK
"When flight attendence pour some water/juice etc the liquid comes straight down and not on a different angle."

That's a good observation. The aircraft is moving almost inertially (i.e. with negligible acceleration), so things inside the aircraft behave according to Newton's laws. And, objects dropped fall straight down.

Likes Mikasun1108
PeroK said:
"When flight attendence pour some water/juice etc the liquid comes straight down and not on a different angle."

That's a good observation. The aircraft is moving almost inertially (i.e. with negligible acceleration), so things inside the aircraft behave according to Newton's laws. And, objects dropped fall straight down.
Thank you for the extra information, really appreciate it :)

Related to Newton's First law of motion -- Boy jumping vertically on a moving train

1. What is Newton's First Law of Motion?

Newton's First Law of Motion, also known as the Law of Inertia, states that an object at rest will remain at rest and an object in motion will remain in motion at a constant velocity unless acted upon by an external force.

2. How does this law apply to a boy jumping vertically on a moving train?

In this scenario, the boy and the train are both in motion, so they will continue to move at a constant velocity unless acted upon by an external force. When the boy jumps, he is briefly in a state of zero velocity in relation to the train, but since the train is still moving, he will eventually land back on the train due to the train's inertia.

3. What is the role of inertia in Newton's First Law of Motion?

Inertia is the resistance of an object to change its state of motion. In this scenario, the train's inertia keeps it moving at a constant velocity, while the boy's inertia keeps him moving in a straight line until an external force (such as gravity) acts upon him.

4. How does this law relate to everyday life?

Newton's First Law of Motion can be observed in many everyday situations, such as when a car stops suddenly and passengers continue to move forward due to their inertia, or when a ball rolls to a stop on a flat surface due to friction and air resistance.

5. What are some real-life applications of this law?

This law is the basis for many technologies, such as seatbelts and airbags in cars, which are designed to protect passengers from the effects of inertia in the event of a sudden stop. It is also used in sports, such as in long jump and pole vault events, where athletes use their inertia to propel themselves forward.