Newton-Raphson Method for Solving Tan(x) = x with 3 Iterations

• Thread starter Student2010
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Newton
In summary, the equation for the buckling load of a strut with one end fixed and the other end simply supported is given by tan(Mu)L = (Mu)L, where (Mu) = Sqrt(P/EI). By using the Newton-Raphson method with three iterations and an initial approximation of x0 = 4.5, the equation tan x = x can be solved and a value of 4.49340946 can be obtained. To verify the accuracy, one can calculate tan(x) - x and see how close it is to zero.
Student2010
Hi Please can somebody help

The equation governing the buckling load P of a strut with one end fixed and the other end simply supported is given by tan (Mu)L = (Mu)L where (Mu) = Sqrt (P/EI), L the length of the strut and EI the flexural rigidity of the strut.
By writing x = (Mu)L, solve the equation tan x = x using three iterations of the Newton-Raphson method, taking
an initial approximation x0 = 4.5

I got the equation for the first derivative to be
f(1)(x)= sec^2(x)-1

x1= x0 - (tan(x0)-x0)/(sec^2(x0)-1)

but i can't get a value out of the equation which seems right, when i carry on to the 3rd iteration it says i should get an answer of around 4.49340946

Would really appreciate help

Thank You

Physics news on Phys.org
Student2010 said:
but i can't get a value out of the equation which seems right, when i carry on to the 3rd iteration it says i should get an answer of around 4.49340946

What makes you think it isn't right? There is an easy way to verify. Calculate tan(x) - x and see how close to zero it is.

Related to Newton-Raphson Method for Solving Tan(x) = x with 3 Iterations

1. What is the Newton Raphson method?

The Newton Raphson method is a numerical method used to find the roots of a nonlinear equation. It is an iterative process that uses an initial guess to approach the true root of the equation.

2. How does the Newton Raphson method work?

The method works by repeatedly using the formula xn+1 = xn - f(xn)/f'(xn), where xn is the current guess and xn+1 is the next guess. This process is repeated until the guess is within a desired tolerance level of the true root.

3. What are the advantages of using the Newton Raphson method?

The method is relatively simple to implement and can converge quickly to the true root. It is also suitable for finding multiple roots of an equation and can handle complex equations.

4. What are the limitations of the Newton Raphson method?

The method may fail to converge if the initial guess is too far from the true root or if the function has multiple roots in close proximity. It also requires knowledge of the derivative of the function, which may not always be readily available.

5. In what fields is the Newton Raphson method commonly used?

The method is commonly used in fields such as engineering, physics, and economics for solving nonlinear equations. It is also used in optimization problems to find the maximum or minimum of a function.