Newpaper reports on Pi Day 3.14

• Thread starter ramsey2879
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Pi
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of Pi and its infinite nature. Despite its commonly known value of 3.14, Pi actually has an infinite number of digits after the decimal point. This fact is often misunderstood and misrepresented, as seen in the misconception that Pi is equal to 22/7. The conversation also mentions a court case where the judges ruled to use the "more precise value of 22/7" in their calculations, highlighting the confusion and lack of understanding surrounding Pi. However, the conversation also touches on the fact that Pi can be represented in other ways, such as the symbol π, and that its infinite nature does not diminish its value or significance in mathematics.
ramsey2879
"Most people with a basic understanding of math probably knew that Thursday was 3.14 and therefore Pi Day, because that is the number of the ratio between a circle's circumference and its diameter."
"But the actual number is much longer -- in fact, the decimals go on for at least 10 trillion digits. Math geeks had to give up counting, and computers are still trying to find the figure."

Never mind that the number Pi is infinite in length, i.e. the decimal Pi is never ending; and thus, computers will never "find" the length of Pi.

Found in "Pupils acquire a taste for pi," about a group of fifth graders who measured the diameter and circumference of various circular objects and computed the ratio. The Freelance Star, Fredericksburg, Va. Could it be that the education system deems that 5th grade is too early to explain that the actual number Pi is infinite in length? Or are fifth graders more knowledgeable about math than the reporter?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
But numbers like ##1## and ##1/3## are also infinite in length...

micromass said:

Hence computers will never find the lengths of ##1## and ##1/3##.

##QED##​

But my ruler gives about 4 mm as the length of 1!:tongue:

I strongly suspect that the fifth graders knew a lot more about pi than this reporter!

micromass said:
Technically speaking, the length of a decimal number does not include an ending infinite string of zeros because the portion of those zeros after the decimal point can be dropped without changing the value of the number. Thus the length of 1 or 1/10 is 1 and the length of 1/80 or 1/10000 is 4. Any integer has a finite length equal to the highest power of 10 less than or equal to the number plus 1. Any fraction, reduced to its lowest form, where the denominator is a product of the numbers 2 to the ith power and 5 to the jth power [tex] i,j \in N[/tex] has the length after the decimal point equal to i if i > j-1 or j if j>i-1.

Last edited:
ramsey2879 said:
Technically speaking, the length of a decimal number does not include an ending infinite string of zeros because the portion of those zeros after the decimal point can be dropped without changing the value of the number. Thus the length of 1 or 1/10 is 1 and the length of 1/80 or 1/10000 is 4. Any integer has a finite length equal to the highest power of 10 less than or equal to the number plus 1. Any fraction, reduced to its lowest form, where the denominator is a product of the numbers 2 to the ith power and 5 to the jth power [tex] i,j \in N[/tex] has the length after the decimal point equal to i if i > j-1 or j if j>i-1.

Ah! But then the length is ill-defined! Because ##1=0.999999...##, it appears that ##1## has both finite and infinite length! :tongue2:

Bachelier said:
Hence computers will never find the lengths of ##1## and ##1/3##.

##QED##​

But I think there is an important difference: 1/3 can be described in a finite way; every

decimal place is 3 , but, AFAIK, there is no finite description of π.

Still, by the same token, shouldn't today, 3/16 be "square root of 10 day", and

February 23 , 2/23 be "square root of five day"?

Last edited:
Bacle2 said:
But I think there is an important difference: 1/3 can be described in a finite way; every

decimal place is 3 , but, AFAIK, there is no finite description of π.

Yes there is: [itex]\pi[/itex].
This is just as valid a representation as 1/3. What you mean is that [itex]\pi[/itex] has no finite decimal expansion, but a decimal expansion is just one way of representing a number. It's not the number itself.

Number Nine said:
Yes there is: [itex]\pi[/itex].
This is just as valid a representation as 1/3. What you mean is that [itex]\pi[/itex] has no finite decimal expansion, but a decimal expansion is just one way of representing a number. It's not the number itself.

Right, I should have said that the decimal representation of π does not have, AFAIK
a finite description, i.e., if I wanted to know the digit in any place on the expansion
of π , there is none (AFAIK) rule for determining it. The decimal expansion of 1/3 is infinite,
but it can be fully described by the statement that every term is equal to 3.

micromass said:
Ah! But then the length is ill-defined! Because ##1=0.999999...##, it appears that ##1## has both finite and infinite length! :tongue2:
Every integer but zero can be expressed as an infinite number, but the length of an integer is technically speaking "the highest power of 10 less or equal to the absolute value of the integer", plus 1.

Last edited:
The biggest misconception about ##\pi## is that ##\pi = \frac{22}{7}##. Maybe the originator of this idea intended it to be an approximation (a very bad one, one may add) but Internet forums are infested with this response.

Bachelier said:
The biggest misconception about ##\pi## is that ##\pi = \frac{22}{7}##. Maybe the originator of this idea intended it to be an approximation (a very bad one, one may add) but Internet forums are infested with this response.
There was a court case in the US Patent and Trademark Office where the Judges disregarded the argument of an attorney and ruled that the court would use the "more precise value of 22/7" in its calculations.

ramsey2879 said:
There was a court case in the US Patent and Trademark Office where the Judges disregarded the argument of an attorney and ruled that the court would use the "more precise value of 22/7" in its calculations.

Sometimes I know not whether to believe that the Courts are here to promote the rights of the people or to demise them. For Mathematicians, this so called case shall ergo be equivalent to the "Dred Scott v. Sandford" case.

ramsey2879 said:
I see nothing wrong with this. They are simply saying that, instead of the more common "3.14", the court, for this particular case, will use the "more precise value of 22/7" which, to three decimal places, is 3.143, slightly more accurate.

The words "more precise" themselves indicate that this is not intended to be an exact value but only a slightly better approximation.

1. What is Pi Day and why is it celebrated on 3.14?

Pi Day is an annual celebration of the mathematical constant pi (π), which is approximately equal to 3.14. It is celebrated on March 14th (3/14) because the date represents the first three digits of pi.

2. Why is pi important in mathematics and science?

Pi is important because it is a fundamental constant that appears in many mathematical equations and is used to calculate the circumference, area, and volume of circles and spheres. It also has applications in physics, engineering, and other scientific fields.

3. How did Pi Day originate?

Pi Day was first celebrated in 1988 by physicist Larry Shaw at the San Francisco Exploratorium. The idea was to celebrate and spread awareness about the importance of pi in a fun and engaging way. Since then, it has become a popular celebration in schools, universities, and scientific communities around the world.

4. How do people typically celebrate Pi Day?

People celebrate Pi Day in various ways, such as eating pies, participating in pi recitation contests, attending lectures or workshops about pi, and engaging in pi-related activities and games. Some also use the day to raise awareness and funds for math and science education.

5. Are there any interesting facts or trivia about Pi Day?

Yes, there are many interesting facts and trivia about Pi Day, such as the fact that it is also the birthday of famous physicist Albert Einstein. In 2009, the US House of Representatives passed a resolution designating March 14th as National Pi Day. Also, in 2015, Pi Day was extra special as the date (3/14/15) represented the first five digits of pi (3.1415) at 9:26:53, making it the "Ultimate Pi Day".