New user, needing guidance on topics and where to start

In summary, a new member of the community expresses their passion for topics such as physics, quantum physics, astrophysics, mechanical engineering, and social sciences. They apologize for their scattered knowledge and ask for assistance in finding credible sources and understanding the fundamental concepts. They express their desire to contribute and help others in the community.
ryleyduke
Hello fellow members! Just wanted to say that I'm new here and am in need of some assistance. First off I'm still a student in college and over the past year have developed a very passionate interest in the topics discussed on the website. However my knowledge is very scattered, essentially knowing a little about a lot (or i hope), and so I'm asking if anyone would be so kind as to help point me in the right direction for getting started on learning the basics of the topics discussed on the site. Primarily; physics, quantum physics and mechanics, astrophysics, mechanical engineering and social sciences. My apologizes if that is a long list, but i am extremely interested in those topics and feel its important to educate myself whenever i can, id also like to put it out that yes id consider myself a newbie with this stuff still, there's so much information out there I am not sure how to interpret it all and am looking for a solid foundation so i can keep up. Anyway back on point, if there is anyone who can help point me in the right direction for understanding the basic and deeper concepts of the topics listed, which sites are credible (this one id hope?) and also who are the scientists in the media that are credible?. It would be SO gratefully appreciated! i have a lot of respect for this community and would be more then willing to offer my help whenever i feel I am capable of it! THANK YOU! :D also i forgot to mention this previously, though I am still determining whether i would be able to be successful both academically and professionally in these fields, it would be incredible to help others further develop this community both online and in the real world, seeing our community develop these fields and striving for further understanding grants me great satisfaction in life and id hope to be able to personally contribute and I am more then willing to encourage others! Love this community and am looking forward to meeting other members and contributing!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Don't risk reading sites where text is not split into paragraphs.

Related to New user, needing guidance on topics and where to start

1. What are some popular topics in the field of science that I should start with?

Some popular topics in science include biology, chemistry, physics, environmental science, and computer science. These topics cover a wide range of scientific concepts and can provide a good foundation for further study.

2. Where can I find reliable information on these topics?

There are many reputable sources for scientific information, including scientific journals, textbooks, and websites such as those run by government agencies or universities. It is important to evaluate the credibility of the source and check for any biases before using the information for research.

3. What are some good resources for beginners in science?

There are many resources available for beginners in science, including introductory textbooks, online courses, and educational videos. Additionally, joining a local science club or attending science workshops and conferences can provide hands-on learning opportunities.

4. How can I stay up-to-date with new developments in the field of science?

One way to stay current in the field of science is to regularly read scientific literature and attend conferences and workshops. Following reputable scientific organizations and experts on social media can also provide updates on new discoveries and advancements.

5. What are some important skills to have as a scientist?

Some important skills for scientists include critical thinking, problem-solving, data analysis, communication, and collaboration. It is also important to have a strong foundation in mathematics and a curiosity to continuously learn and explore new ideas and concepts.