New to Spectroscopy? Let's Connect and Exchange Ideas!

In summary: With a spectrometer, you can measure the concentration of a particular compound in a sample and you can also measure the area under the curve of the chromatogram for that compound.
manoj srinivasan
hi friends,
I am new to this forum and to this domain as well,i am basically a networking/IT guy, i am looking to do some
project which is involving spectroscopy to find chemical composition in different elements.

As i am new to this domain,i don't know how i can find a friend/guide probably some one with good knowledge in physics to guide me or just to get a few words of positive advice from him.

if anyone is interested to help me kindly let me know here,all i want is talk to someone and want to be inspired.

Physics news on Phys.org
manoj srinivasan said:
hi friends,
I am new to this forum and to this domain as well,i am basically a networking/IT guy, i am looking to do some
project which is involving spectroscopy to find chemical composition in different elements.

As i am new to this domain,i don't know how i can find a friend/guide probably some one with good knowledge in physics to guide me or just to get a few words of positive advice from him.

if anyone is interested to help me kindly let me know here,all i want is talk to someone and want to be inspired.

There are different fields of spectroscopy and different people tend to have different areas of specialty. FTIR is different from mass spec is different from spectrophotometer is different from laser spectroscopy. Different kinds of chromatography are a different deal altogether as is NMR.

You might get better input if you provide a better definition of what you are trying to accomplish and what kind of spectroscopy you have in mind.

Likes Ben Espen
.I am looking to analyse
The chemical composition of various food items to be precise.any more useful tips about how I can start or how I can find anyone who can help ?

user_online.gif
report.gif

Is this a project you were assigned by someone or a personal project? You will have to use different types of spectroscopy to characterize food composition depending on the item you are studying. Here is a link I found with a quick Google search ("spectroscopy food composition):

https://oceanoptics.com/spectroscopy-for-food-analysis/

That just tells you some types of spectroscopy that are used for looking at food composition. Do you have the tools to perform any of these techniques? Doing an experiment is one thing and learning how to read the data is another. What is your scientific background?

You can both use NMR or FTIR to get a fingerprint of a food product. Using reference food products with known compositions, you can determine the compositions of unknown samples. Because of the constraints on your food product, you can set up the algorithm that matches the rich fingerprint you get from NMR or FTIR, and link it in a quite exact manner to the actual composition.If you want to use just one compound really accurately, you use HPLC.

Related to New to Spectroscopy? Let's Connect and Exchange Ideas!

What is spectroscopy?

Spectroscopy is the study of the interaction between matter and electromagnetic radiation. It involves analyzing the absorption, emission, or scattering of light by a material to determine its chemical composition, physical structure, and other properties.

Why is spectroscopy important?

Spectroscopy is important because it allows scientists to identify and study the properties of various materials. It is used in many fields, including chemistry, physics, astronomy, and engineering, to help understand the composition, structure, and behavior of different substances.

What are some common techniques used in spectroscopy?

Some common techniques used in spectroscopy include absorbance spectroscopy, fluorescence spectroscopy, Raman spectroscopy, and nuclear magnetic resonance spectroscopy. Each technique uses different types of light and measurements to analyze a material's properties.

How can I connect with other scientists interested in spectroscopy?

There are many ways to connect with other scientists interested in spectroscopy. You can join online forums, attend conferences and workshops, or join professional organizations related to spectroscopy. You can also reach out to colleagues or mentors who have experience in spectroscopy.

What are some potential applications of spectroscopy?

Spectroscopy has a wide range of applications in various fields. It is used in drug discovery and development, environmental monitoring, forensic analysis, and materials science. Spectroscopy is also used in space exploration to study the composition of planets and stars.