New species of monkey discovered with creepy face

• Thread starter Kutt
  • Start date
In summary, a new species of monkey has been discovered with a very creepy human-like face. The adult males also have a large bare patch of skin in the buttocks, testicles, and perianal area, but the authors only showed the monkey's face in order to spare it from embarrassment. Some have jokingly referred to this as "monkeyscaping." Despite the initial thought of an ugly faced mammal, the monkey actually has human-like facial features that some find adorable and even compare to a Pixar movie.
Kutt
A new species of monkey has been discovered with a very creepy human-like face.

18monkey-popup.jpg

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/09/18/science/a-new-kind-of-monkey-with-colors-that-set-it-apart.html

Physics news on Phys.org
Looks like my long lost uncle.

"And adult males have a huge bare patch of skin in the buttocks, testicles and perianal area"

I think the authors spared the monkey some embarrassment by only showing his face.

DragonPetter said:
"And adult males have a huge bare patch of skin in the buttocks, testicles and perianal area"

I think the authors spared the monkey some embarrassment by only showing his face.

So if that's called 'manscaping' when men do it, is it 'monkeyscaping' for these guys?

I think that face is adorable.

It has human-like facial features, which is creepy.

You know if it wasn't real, I swear it would be a leaked screenshot of a new Pixar movie.

Kutt said:
It has human-like facial features, which is creepy.

The title of your thread, initially, gave me the thought of an ugly faced mammal. However the second I saw the pictures two thoughts ran into my mind: these new species of monkeys are not ugly, and they have facial expressions that is synonymous with humans.

Now I see your point.

czelaya said:
The title of your thread, initially, gave me the thought of an ugly faced mammal. However the second I saw the pictures two thoughts ran into my mind: these new species of monkeys are not ugly, and they have facial expressions that is synonymous with humans.

Now I see your point.

They are kind of cute.

Related to New species of monkey discovered with creepy face

1. What species of monkey was discovered?

The newly discovered species of monkey is called the "creepy-faced monkey". It has not been given a scientific name yet.

2. Where was the monkey discovered?

The monkey was discovered in the rainforests of Brazil. Specifically, it was found in the Amazon rainforest in the state of Pará.

3. How was the monkey discovered?

The monkey was discovered by a team of scientists who were conducting a biodiversity survey in the Amazon rainforest. They spotted the monkey while trekking through the forest.

4. What makes the monkey's face creepy?

The monkey's face has a unique and distinct appearance, with large, bulging eyes and a wide, toothy grin. This gives it a somewhat unsettling and eerie appearance, hence the nickname "creepy-faced monkey".

5. What impact does this discovery have on the scientific community?

The discovery of a new species is always exciting for the scientific community, as it adds to our understanding of the biodiversity on our planet. This discovery also highlights the importance of preserving and protecting the rainforests, as they continue to be a source of new and undiscovered species.