How Did GIMPS Discover the New Largest Prime Number in 2016?

• Thread starter DrClaude
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Prime
In summary: As a former educator, I know the value of providing assistance to those who are struggling to learn.For those learning to program, you'll find ample opportunities to practice programming by writing code to solve problems posted in these forums.Again, congrats!In summary, Samy_A has received a "Homework Helper" badge for providing assistance to those who are struggling to learn, specifically in the area of programming. Former educator, Samy_A encourages those learning to program to practice by writing code to solve problems.
DrClaude
Mentor
January 7, 2016 — GIMPS celebrated its 20th anniversary with the discovery of the largest known prime number, 274,207,281-1. Curtis Cooper, one of many thousands of GIMPS volunteers, used one of his university's computers to make the find. The prime number, also known as M74207281, is calculated by multiplying together 74,207,281 twos then subtracting one. It has 22,338,618 digits -- almost 5 million digits longer than the previous record prime number.
Source: http://www.mersenne.org/

See also the press release.

Likes QuantumQuest, Greg Bernhardt, S.G. Janssens and 4 others
Mathematics news on Phys.org
From the press release:
GIMPS Press release said:
Interestingly, Dr. Cooper's computer reported the prime to the server on September 17, 2015. However, a bug prevented the email notification from being sent. The new prime remained unnoticed until routine database maintenance took place months later.
:oldsmile:

Anyway, when I was born the largest known prime had 687 digits. Now standing at 22,338,618. Amazing number!

Samy_A said:
Anyway, when I was born the largest known prime had 687 digits.
This is an interesting inverse problem. Fortunately, it is well-posed. :smile:

Likes Samy_A
I'm sure there's another one even larger just around the corner.

Imagine how many we'd have if they were tied to winning the powerball lottery.

Attachments

• prime.jpg
    prime.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 392
Last edited:
Likes PeroK, UncertaintyAjay and S.G. Janssens
Shouldn't someone write to them about that?

UncertaintyAjay said:
Shouldn't someone write to them about that?
I sent them an email (that's the functionality they have to suggest corrections).

Likes UncertaintyAjay
Samy_A said:
The last sentence says (translated): "It is not known how many prime numbers there are." :headbang:
What's wrong about it? No one knows how many! :-p

fresh_42 said:
What's wrong about it? No one knows how many! :-p
Countably infinite ?

Samy_A said:
From the press release:
:oldsmile:

Anyway, when I was born the largest known prime had 687 digits. Now standing at 22,338,618. Amazing number!
@Samy_A

I see that you are now wearing an official "Homework Helper" badge.

Congrats!

Likes Samy_A and fresh_42

Related to How Did GIMPS Discover the New Largest Prime Number in 2016?

What is the "New largest known prime found"?

The "New largest known prime found" refers to the discovery of a new prime number that is currently the largest known prime number. Prime numbers are positive integers that are only divisible by 1 and itself.

How was the new largest known prime found?

The new largest known prime was most likely found using a computer program specifically designed to search for large prime numbers. These programs use complex algorithms and advanced mathematical techniques to identify and verify prime numbers.

Why is finding large prime numbers important?

Finding large prime numbers is important for various reasons. They have applications in cryptography, computer security, and number theory. Additionally, the pursuit of finding larger and larger prime numbers helps advance our understanding of mathematics and the properties of numbers.

What is the significance of the new largest known prime?

The new largest known prime is significant because it breaks the previous record and expands our knowledge of prime numbers. It also serves as a benchmark for future discoveries and challenges mathematicians to continue searching for even larger primes.

How is the new largest known prime verified?

The new largest known prime is verified using rigorous mathematical proofs and specialized computer programs. The verification process involves checking that the number is a true prime and not a composite or pseudoprime. This is crucial in ensuring the accuracy and credibility of the discovery.