New Job, Bigger Paycheck: Trainee Branch Manager for a Building Supplier's Firm

• Thread starter jimmy p
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Job
In summary, the speaker has a new job as a trainee branch manager for a building supplier's firm that pays over £3000 more per year than their current job. They are planning on quitting their current job but are unsure about the required notice period and their holiday entitlement. Some members of the conversation advise giving a month's notice, while others suggest leaving when they want and not being honorable to their current employer. The speaker is also waiting for written confirmation from the new employer before officially quitting.
jimmy p
Gold Member
I have a new job!

WOOO!

I start on the 30th for over £3000 a year more than what I am earning at the moment! I will be a trainee branch manager for a building supplier's firm. It's not like a DIY store, it's for proper tradespeople. Just got to hand my notice in at work, though apparently I'm supposed to give a months notice. However I should be allowed to quit when I want right? I'm not owed any holiday so I have nothing else to hang onto.

Physics news on Phys.org
If you are supposed to give a months notice, then you give a months notice.

jimmy p said:
I start on the 30th for over £3000 a year more than what I am earning at the moment!
I thought you currently didn't have a job.

Congratulations on the new job.

However, if you are 'required' to give a months notice, then please do so.

It is the right, fair and honorable thing to do. :cool:

I'm not sure how it works in the US, but I always thought you can just stop showing up. Call in sick, and do anything.

Sure, the consequences might not be good because it's unethical, and you know you can never fall back on the old job.

You can, if your a scumbag.

In the US, it's typically two weeks notice or whatever one's employment contract stipulates. I gave a little more than two weeks notice when I left my last job (about 8 years ago). Then they ended up hiring me for about two weeks to do a job. I left on good terms though - and they periodically asked me to return.

Congrats on your new job!:devil:<----(because you don't talk to nice girls)

Yeah I don't get the whole 2 weeks issue. I mean I guess it gives the employer some time, but if you don't like your job, and you want to quit, why not quit?

Ohh, and congrats on the new job :smile:

Congrats with the new job -

I would try to give a month's notice, but if you know your managers well and everything, just explain the situation and why you can't give a month's notice.

Well scott was right, I didn't have a job. In all honesty I was sacked for something so stupid and pathetic, so I appealed and got my job back. But I don't see why I should be honourable to them because they treated me like crap then, and they are pushing my patience now already.

I'm sure in UK employment law you are entitled to leave when you want but if you leave before your notice is up, then you have your holiday entitlement taken away.

jimmy p said:
But I don't see why I should be honourable to them because they treated me like crap then, and they are pushing my patience now already.
That is one of the great challenges in Life.

Be not like those one disdains, nor those whom disdain one.

jimmy p said:
Well scott was right, I didn't have a job. In all honesty I was sacked for something so stupid and pathetic, so I appealed and got my job back. But I don't see why I should be honourable to them because they treated me like crap then, and they are pushing my patience now already.

I'm sure in UK employment law you are entitled to leave when you want but if you leave before your notice is up, then you have your holiday entitlement taken away.
I guess you have to be practical to some extent here too. Can your new employer wait 1 month for you to start? If not, you need to think about getting and keeping the new job more than keeping an old employer happy (unless you're going to need letters of reference from them some day). If it's a matter of losing your holiday entitlements, then it's probably worth giving that up to secure something that's going to be better for you in the long run. If your current employer already fired you once, it suggests they think they can manage without you, so it's not the same as someone in a critical position leaving without time for them to hire and/or train their replacement. Don't walk out at the drop of a hat, but give them as much notice as you can. Find out when the new employer needs you to start, and then give notice as soon as you know that date.

Some wise words moonbear. I know they are keen for me to start on the 30th, because that day they are doing a stock count or something and it would be a huge experience. I don't want to push my luck with the new employer because they know I have holiday booked already two weeks into when I'm supposed to start. The only thing stopping me at the moment from handing my notice in, is that I haven't got written confirmation from my new employer.

Related to New Job, Bigger Paycheck: Trainee Branch Manager for a Building Supplier's Firm

1. What are the responsibilities of a Trainee Branch Manager for a Building Supplier's Firm?

A Trainee Branch Manager is responsible for overseeing the daily operations of a building supplier's branch location. This includes managing inventory, handling customer inquiries and complaints, supervising employees, and ensuring the branch meets sales and revenue targets.

2. What qualifications are required to become a Trainee Branch Manager?

To become a Trainee Branch Manager, one typically needs a bachelor's degree in a relevant field such as business or management. Previous experience in a managerial role or in the building supply industry may also be preferred. Strong leadership, communication, and organizational skills are essential for this role.

3. What opportunities for growth and advancement are available for a Trainee Branch Manager?

As a Trainee Branch Manager, there are opportunities for growth within the company. With experience and proven success, one can advance to higher managerial positions such as Branch Manager or Regional Manager. There may also be opportunities to move into other departments within the company such as sales or operations.

4. How does the pay for a Trainee Branch Manager compare to other entry-level positions?

The pay for a Trainee Branch Manager is typically higher than other entry-level positions due to the level of responsibility and leadership required. The exact salary may vary depending on the company and location, but it is typically above the average entry-level salary.

5. What skills and qualities are important for a Trainee Branch Manager to possess?

A successful Trainee Branch Manager should have strong leadership skills, the ability to handle and resolve conflicts, excellent communication and interpersonal skills, and the ability to make strategic decisions. They should also have a good understanding of the building supply industry and be able to manage and motivate a team to achieve goals and targets.