New GRE in Fall 2006? Check Out Updates at GRE.org

• Thread starter Brad Barker
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Fall Gre
In summary, the conversation discusses the upcoming changes to the GRE test and advises waiting until the changes are implemented to avoid being inundated with unfamiliar words. The speaker also expresses confusion about when to take the test if they are applying to US universities in November-January and recommends checking the GRE website for registration details and using Kaplan for preparation.
Brad Barker
check this out: http://www.gre.org/grechanges.html

so... it might be a good idea to wait until the changes are implemented, if possible, unless you want to be inundated with words that no one will ever know or use!

i hope that kaplan is quick with its guides! :-p

just givin' you the heads-up.

Physics news on Phys.org
This adds to my confusion.. I'm in the UK and am planning on taking the test.. When should I take the test If i'll be applying to US universities around Nov - Jan time? Is it possible to book the test when you want or are there only fixed dates?

Baggio said:
This adds to my confusion.. I'm in the UK and am planning on taking the test.. When should I take the test If i'll be applying to US universities around Nov - Jan time? Is it possible to book the test when you want or are there only fixed dates?

if you are applying THIS november... looks like you'll be taking the un-changed test.

go to www.gre.org for details about how to register.

for preparation, go to www.kaptest.com. :cool:

Related to New GRE in Fall 2006? Check Out Updates at GRE.org

1. What changes were made to the GRE in Fall 2006?

The biggest change to the GRE in Fall 2006 was the shift from a paper-based test to a computer-based test. This change allowed for more flexibility and convenience for test-takers, as well as a more streamlined scoring and reporting system. Additionally, the content and format of the test were updated to better reflect the skills needed for graduate school success.

2. How is the new GRE scored?

The new GRE is scored on a scale of 130-170 for both the Verbal Reasoning and Quantitative Reasoning sections, and on a scale of 0-6 for the Analytical Writing section. The scores are based on the number of correct answers and the difficulty level of those questions. The final score report also includes percentiles, which compare your performance to that of other test-takers.

3. Are there any changes to the content of the GRE?

Yes, the content of the GRE was updated in Fall 2006 to better reflect the skills needed for graduate school success. The Verbal Reasoning section now includes more emphasis on critical thinking and reasoning skills, and the Quantitative Reasoning section includes more real-world applications and data interpretation. The Analytical Writing section also now includes two essay prompts instead of one.

4. Can I take the new GRE multiple times?

Yes, you can take the new GRE as many times as you would like. However, you can only take the test once every 21 days, up to five times within any continuous rolling 12-month period. Your scores from all test attempts within the past five years will be reported to the schools you designate.

5. Where can I find more information about the new GRE?

You can find more information about the new GRE, including test dates, registration, and study resources, on the official GRE website at GRE.org. You can also contact the Educational Testing Service (ETS), the organization that administers the GRE, for any additional questions or concerns.