Neutron Decay: Questions & Answers

In summary, the neutron does not decay because of the mass/energy considerations. The neutron decay would have the same probability in udc and udt if they had the same mass. However, the W does decay to q¯qqq¯q.
Dalor
Hi, I have questions on the neutron decay

What prevent the neutron to decay in udc or udt except mass/energy consideration ?

If we do the assumption that (udc) and (udt) have the same mass than the proton (yes I know, this doesn't make sense) the three decay (p, udc, udt) woulld have the same probability ?

Also this is only energy consideration that prevent the ##W## to decay in ##q \bar q## too?

Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
A neutron is udd. Your question is confusing.

If the heavier quarks would be much lighter we would see them in everyday life, too.

As extreme case: If they would have the same mass we wouldn't consider them as different particle types.
Dalor said:
If we do the assumption that (udc) and (udt) have the same mass than the proton (yes I know, this doesn't make sense) the three decay (p, udc, udt) woulld have the same probability ?
No, there is still the CKM matrix. d->u has a higher amplitude than d->c or d->t.

Dalor said:
Also this is only energy consideration that prevent the WWW to decay in q¯qqq¯q \bar q too?
The W does decay to ##q\bar q##. However, the final state cannot be a single meson due to energy conservation and the quarks therefore quickly hadronize. Most of the time W decays hadronically.

Oh I was definately not paying attention !

mfb said:
No, there is still the CKM matrix. d->u has a higher amplitude than d->c or d->t.

Of course my mistake.
(Yes, they would be same particle, it was only for the "thought experiment".)

Orodruin said:
The W does decay to ##q\bar q##. However, the final state cannot be a single meson due to energy conservation and the quarks therefore quickly hadronize. Most of the time W decays hadronically.
Yep I meant the hadronic decay ##u \bar d##, ##u \bar s## and so on.

My question came from the ## \Lambda^0##, the leptonic decay is suppressed by several order of magnitude. I don't understand why since BR between leptonique and hadronic decay is not so low and it seems a big difference considering only phase space factor, no ? And the other hand in neutron decay there is only the leptonic decay, that was why I ask the kind of meaningless question about "the neutron decay if quark add same mass".

Thank you.

Related to Neutron Decay: Questions & Answers

1. What is neutron decay?

Neutron decay is a process in which a neutron, one of the three subatomic particles that make up an atom, transforms into a proton, an electron, and an antineutrino.

2. Why does neutron decay occur?

Neutron decay occurs because neutrons are unstable particles and have a higher mass than protons. In order to become more stable, they undergo a process of decay, releasing energy in the form of the proton, electron, and antineutrino.

3. How long does it take for a neutron to decay?

The average half-life of a neutron is about 15 minutes, meaning that after 15 minutes, half of the original amount of neutrons will have decayed into protons, electrons, and antineutrinos. However, the exact time of decay can vary and is unpredictable.

4. What is the significance of neutron decay?

Neutron decay is important in nuclear reactions and plays a crucial role in the stability of atomic nuclei. It also helps to explain the balance of matter and antimatter in the universe.

5. Can neutron decay be observed?

Yes, neutron decay can be observed through experiments using particle accelerators and detectors. The products of neutron decay, such as protons and electrons, can be detected and measured to confirm the occurrence of neutron decay.