Neutron Attenuation 1st order ODE Interpertation

In summary, the conversation discusses difficulties in interpreting an equation related to neutron attenuation in nuclear engineering. The equation is rearranged to show the relationship between the rate of change of the intensity and the intensity itself, which is described as the probability of a neutron to have an interaction between two points. However, the meaning of dividing dI/I(x) is not clear on an intuitive level.
terryphi
Hi,

I'm having some trouble interpreting an equation. In Lamarsh's Introduction to Nuclear Engineering.

The formulae for neutron attenuation is:

[tex]I(x) = I_{0} exp(-\Sigma_{t} x[/tex] I am given the formulae
[tex]\frac{-dI}{I(x)} = \Sigma_{t} dx[/tex]

This formulae has been described as "the probability of a neutron to have an intereraction between x and x+dx"

However, I do not understand where this interpertation arises from. I mean dividing dI/I(x) just doesn't have any meaning to me.

I understand the math, but the formulae isn't apparent to me on any kind of intutitve level.

Physics news on Phys.org
terryphi said:
Hi,

I'm having some trouble interpreting an equation. In Lamarsh's Introduction to Nuclear Engineering.

The formulae for neutron attenuation is:

[tex]I(x) = I_{0} exp(-\Sigma_{t} x[/tex] I am given the formulae
[tex]\frac{-dI}{I(x)} = \Sigma_{t} dx[/tex]

This formulae has been described as "the probability of a neutron to have an intereraction between x and x+dx"

However, I do not understand where this interpertation arises from. I mean dividing dI/I(x) just doesn't have any meaning to me.

I understand the math, but the formulae isn't apparent to me on any kind of intutitve level.

Re-arrange terms like so:

[tex]-\frac{dI}{dx} = \Sigma_{t} I(x)[/tex]

and you get: the rate of change of the intensity of the beam with respect to x equals the intensity of the beam at x times the interaction rate. This is the simplest type of differential equation, where the value of some quantity depends on its own rate of change times a constant.

Last edited:

Related to Neutron Attenuation 1st order ODE Interpertation

1. What is Neutron Attenuation?

Neutron attenuation is the process by which neutrons lose energy as they pass through a material. This can be caused by scattering, absorption, or a combination of both.

2. What is a 1st order ODE?

A 1st order ODE (ordinary differential equation) is an equation that involves a function and its first derivative with respect to one independent variable. In the context of neutron attenuation, this is used to model the change in neutron intensity as it passes through a material.

3. How is Neutron Attenuation 1st order ODE used in scientific research?

The 1st order ODE interpretation of neutron attenuation is used in many areas of scientific research, such as nuclear physics, material science, and medical imaging. It allows for the prediction and analysis of neutron behavior in various materials, which is essential for understanding and developing new technologies and treatments.

4. What factors affect Neutron Attenuation?

The factors that affect neutron attenuation include the type of material the neutrons are passing through, the energy of the neutrons, and the distance the neutrons travel. Other factors, such as temperature, can also play a role in certain situations.

5. How accurate is the 1st order ODE interpretation of Neutron Attenuation?

The 1st order ODE interpretation of neutron attenuation is a simplified model and may not accurately represent all situations. However, it is a commonly used and well-studied approach that provides a good understanding of neutron behavior in many practical scenarios.