Neutrino-neutrino to WW amplitude via Z-exchange

• Thread starter blankvin
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Amplitude
In summary, you are stuck trying to work out the S^{\mu}S^{\nu} term in an equation involving g^{\mu\nu}. All he writes is "...the term is impotent between massless spinors."
blankvin

Homework Statement

I am working through an example in Chapter 6 of Quigg's Gauge Theories. I have it mostly figured out, with the exception of how to work out the [itex]S^{\mu}S^{\nu}[/itex] term. All he writes is "...the term is impotent between massless spinors."

Homework Equations

I begin with:

nunu_WW_amplitude.png

What I want to know is how to obtain the factors that include [itex]S[/itex]:

result.png

The Attempt at a Solution

I have all of the terms except those which include [itex]S[/itex]. An explicit calculation or explanation would be extremely appreciated!

[Edit] I will show my work to point out where I am stuck.

I worked out the term involving [itex]g^{\mu\nu}[/itex]. After the contraction of [itex]\gamma_\nu g^{\mu\nu}[/itex], the polarization vectors contract with the terms in square brackets to give:

[itex]\epsilon_+^{*\alpha}\epsilon_-^{*\beta}[...] = \epsilon_+^{*} \cdot \epsilon_-^{*} (k_- - k_+)_{\nu} + \epsilon_-^{*} \cdot k_+ \epsilon_{+\nu}^* - \epsilon_+^* \cdot k_- \epsilon_{-\nu}^* [/itex] [1]

My understanding is that the [itex]S^{\mu}S^{\nu}[/itex] will act on [1] above, but I do not see how to get the desired result. I thought that the contravariant [itex]S^{\nu}[/itex] term would contract with the covariants, but instead somehow the [itex]k_+[/itex] and [itex]k_-[/itex] in the second and third terms of [1] above are replaced by [itex]S[/itex]. Either this is something I do not quite get, or I am being foolish.blankvin

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Are you just looking for the amplitude?

saybrook1 said:
Are you just looking for the amplitude?

I know what the amplitude is. It is how to deal with the [itex]S^{\mu}S^{\nu}[/itex] that I do not know.blankvin

Yeah sorry, the first time I saw your post I was on mobile. I will check back on it when I have time if you haven't received a response yet.

I figured it out.

Working out the [itex]S^{\mu}S^{\nu}[/itex] terms lead to zero contribution to the amplitude.

This blunder will be blamed on fatigue.blankvin

Related to Neutrino-neutrino to WW amplitude via Z-exchange

1. What is a neutrino-neutrino to WW amplitude?

The neutrino-neutrino to WW amplitude is a measure of the probability of two neutrinos interacting and producing two W bosons. This process is mediated by the exchange of a Z boson, which is a particle that carries the weak force.

2. How is this process relevant to particle physics?

This process is relevant to particle physics because it helps us understand the fundamental interactions between particles and the forces that govern them. By studying the neutrino-neutrino to WW amplitude, scientists can gain insights into the nature of the weak force and its role in the universe.

3. What is the significance of Z-exchange in this process?

Z-exchange plays a crucial role in the neutrino-neutrino to WW amplitude because it allows for the transfer of energy and momentum between the two neutrinos. This exchange is necessary for the creation of the two W bosons, which can then decay into other particles.

4. How is this process studied in experiments?

Scientists study the neutrino-neutrino to WW amplitude by using high-energy particle accelerators to create collisions between neutrinos. By analyzing the particles produced in these collisions, they can measure the amplitude and gain a better understanding of the underlying physics.

5. What are the potential implications of studying this process?

Studying the neutrino-neutrino to WW amplitude can have many potential implications, including improving our understanding of the Standard Model of particle physics and potentially revealing new physics beyond the Standard Model. It can also have practical applications, such as in developing new technologies for particle accelerators and detectors.