Networking with profs as a prospective student?

In summary, the individual is applying for post-bac admission in computer science and has been advised to work with the department and Admissions to improve their chances. They are interested in speaking with specific professors at the school but are concerned about their previous degree being in a different field. Suggestions are given to get involved in computer science research and use their previous experience and skills to make them a strong candidate for the professors' research team. Networking is also suggested as a potential avenue to connect with these professors.
n00bot
I'm applying to schools as a second bachelor's degree candidate for computer science this fall. Post-bac admission is often very competitive, and one school has posted, "it will be important to work with the department and Admissions on your applications." Admissions advisors I have spoken to have suggested that having a professor on my side will be the best/only way to gain admittance (my grades in pre-requisite math, physics, and intro cs courses are good; this is a reaction to their minimal interest in post-bacs).

There are a few professors at this school whose work I am very excited about, and would love to talk to. However, my previous degree was in a totally different field (humanities), so I'm starting from the beginning. How can I best reach out to these people so I come off as a promising candidate as opposed to yet another desperate applicant?

Physics news on Phys.org
n00bot said:
How can I best reach out to these people so I come off as a promising candidate as opposed to yet another desperate applicant?

You waited too long? Doing an REU/research with them is the best bet, but I don't know if you can get anything soon enough on such short notice. You may want to start getting involved in the comp sci research scene (open source, which is always looking for people to help with documentation if your skills aren't up to par technically) and get together a resume and a body of work.

Sell your experience and bachelors as making you a perfect candidate for their undergrad research crew. Reading their work and knowing what they've done recently is another must; but if you're really passionate about something they did ten years ago, see what's been done recently in the field and pitch your skills. Research is key, 'cause very little makes a professor lose interest faster than "I have this really cool idea" and the idea is something that's already been solved, twice, and won't get funded for a third attempt or something they don't care about at all.

You can also try networking. Maybe you know somebody who knows somebody?

Networking with professors as a prospective student can be a valuable tool in your application process. As a computer science student, it is important to establish relationships with professors in your field as they can provide guidance and support throughout your academic journey.

One way to reach out to professors is by attending department events, such as seminars or workshops, where you can introduce yourself and express your interest in their work. This will allow you to make a personal connection and show your enthusiasm for their research.

Another way to network with professors is by reaching out to them via email. Make sure to personalize your message and highlight specific aspects of their work that you find intriguing. This will show that you have taken the time to research their work and are genuinely interested in their field.

Additionally, you can ask for an informational interview with the professor to learn more about their research and ask for advice on your application. This will not only allow you to make a connection with the professor, but also gain valuable insights that can strengthen your application.

It is important to remember to be genuine and respectful in your interactions with professors. Avoid coming off as desperate or solely focused on gaining admission to the program. Instead, demonstrate your passion for computer science and your eagerness to learn from their expertise.

Overall, networking with professors can greatly enhance your application and increase your chances of gaining admission to the program. Good luck in your application process!

Related to Networking with profs as a prospective student?

1. How can networking with professors benefit me as a prospective student?

Networking with professors can benefit you in several ways. Firstly, it allows you to establish a personal connection with a professor, which can increase your chances of being accepted into their program. Additionally, networking can provide you with valuable insights into the department and program you are interested in, as well as potential research opportunities or projects that you could participate in.

2. How should I approach networking with professors?

Approaching networking with professors should be done professionally and respectfully. Start by researching the professor's background and areas of interest, and then reach out with a polite and concise email introducing yourself and expressing your interest in their work. From there, you can ask if they have any time for a brief chat or meeting to discuss their research and their program.

3. Is it appropriate to ask for a letter of recommendation during my networking with professors?

It is generally considered appropriate to ask for a letter of recommendation during networking with professors, but only after you have established a relationship with them and they are familiar with your work and potential. It is important to ask for a letter of recommendation with enough notice and to provide the professor with all the necessary information and materials they may need to write a strong recommendation.

4. What should I do if a professor does not respond to my networking attempts?

If a professor does not respond to your initial networking attempts, do not take it personally. Professors are often busy with their own research and teaching responsibilities. If you do not receive a response, follow up with a polite and concise email after a week or two. If you still do not receive a response, it may be best to move on and focus on networking with other professors.

5. Can I network with professors outside of my intended department or program?

Yes, you can absolutely network with professors outside of your intended department or program. In fact, networking with professors in different departments or programs can provide you with a broader understanding of the university and potential research opportunities. However, it is important to also focus on networking with professors within your intended department or program, as they will have the most relevant insights and connections for your academic and career goals.