Networking Newbie Needs Help Setting Up Secured Network

• Thread starter FredGarvin
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Networking
In summary, the speaker is asking for help with implementing a wireless hub in their house. They were able to get it up and running as an open network, but are now having trouble setting it up as a secured network. They have tried using automatic set up and manually entering the network key, but have been unsuccessful. They also noticed issues with the IP address not getting assigned automatically. However, they were able to eventually get it working with the help of tech support software from the router manufacturer. They are still unsure of what they were doing wrong.
FredGarvin
Science Advisor
All right guys, I'm officially asking for help.

I am trying to implement a wireless hub in my house. No big whoop. Just to get the thing up and running, I started a shared internet connection via an open network connection. That worked like a charm.

So, now I want to implement this as a secured network. This is where the problem is. I can not, for the life of me, get my laptop to access the network.

Here's where I am at:
- I have set up the wireless hub on my host PC and have the wireless network settings printed out.

- I tried the automatic wireless network set up XP has using a USB flash drive, but I get an error and it does not work.

- When I enter the network key manually, the laptop attempts to connect, but it eventually gives up.

I did notice that the IP address, subnet address and the other parameter (name I can't recall) are all zeros and are not getting assigned automatically as they should. I have no idea if that is the problem or a result of the problem.

Any help would be greatly appreciated in solving this.

Thanks!

Computer science news on Phys.org
OK. It would appear that even a blind squirrel gets a nut every once in a while. It looks like it is up and running thanks to some tech support software from the router manufacturer. I sure would like to know what the heck I was doing wrong though...

Hi there,

It sounds like you're on the right track with setting up your secured network, but there are a few things you may need to double check.

First, make sure that your wireless hub is properly set up and that all the necessary security settings have been enabled. This may include WPA or WPA2 encryption, a unique network name (SSID), and a network key or password.

Next, on your laptop, make sure that you have selected the correct network name (SSID) and that you are entering the correct network key or password. It may also be helpful to delete any previously saved network profiles on your laptop and start fresh.

If you're still having trouble connecting, try manually assigning an IP address, subnet mask, and DNS server on your laptop. This can be done by going into your network settings and selecting "Use the following IP address" and then entering the appropriate information.

If all else fails, you may need to consult the user manual for your wireless hub or seek assistance from a technical support professional.

Good luck with your network setup!

Related to Networking Newbie Needs Help Setting Up Secured Network

1. What is a secured network?

A secured network refers to a computer network that has measures in place to protect the confidentiality, integrity, and availability of the information being transmitted. This is achieved through various security protocols and technologies, such as firewalls, encryption, and authentication.

2. How do I set up a secured network?

To set up a secured network, you will need to first determine your security needs and choose appropriate security protocols and technologies. Then, you will need to configure your network devices, such as routers and firewalls, to implement these security measures. It is also important to regularly update and maintain your network security to ensure its effectiveness.

3. What are some common security risks in a network?

Some common security risks in a network include unauthorized access, malware and viruses, data breaches, and denial of service attacks. These risks can compromise the confidentiality, integrity, and availability of the information being transmitted over the network.

4. How can I protect my network from security threats?

To protect your network from security threats, you can implement various security measures such as firewalls, encryption, and access controls. It is also important to regularly update your network devices and software, and to educate yourself and your network users on best security practices.

5. What should I do if I suspect a security breach in my network?

If you suspect a security breach in your network, you should take immediate action to contain the breach and minimize the damage. This may include disconnecting affected devices from the network, changing passwords, and notifying relevant authorities. It is also important to conduct a thorough investigation to identify the cause of the breach and take steps to prevent it from happening again in the future.