Net Torque Calculation: Beam & Ring

In summary, the conversation discusses two problems involving net torque calculations. The first problem involves a 3m long, 95kg uniform beam with a pivot point at the 2m mark, a force of 530N pulling at 40 degrees from the vertical at the 3m mark, and a force of 931N pulling down at the center of the beam. The second problem involves a 5.5kg ring spun on a shaft with 75N of friction at the axle, with a diameter of 8.5cm for the shaft and 36cm for the ring. Both problems require using cross products to calculate the correct answer, and the conversation ends with the realization that the answer sheet had errors.
FilthyOtis
Question:

Evaluate the net torque about the pivot point for each of the following. For the third dimension, use a z axis pointing out of the paper.

a) a 3 m long, 95 kg uniform beam.

theres a picture to go along with it which I will describe as best I anthe 3 m long beams pivot point( P ) is at the 2 m mark. at the 3 m mark there's a force of 530 N pulling at 40 from the vertical, below the horizontal. I tried to represent that angle with a crude picture here. the \'s represent the 530N force.

edit: after posting I noticed that this picture didn't turn out at all. just imagine there's a straight line pointing down at the 3m mark and the force of 530 N pulling 40 degrees to the right of that line.

0m 2m 3m
=================
P | \
| \
| 40 \
So here's what I've tried but I'm not getting the correct answer.

I tried saying that if its a 95 kg uniform beam then that means there's a force of 95*9.8 = 931 N pulling down at it's center, the 1.5m mark .5 m from the pivot point. I tried adding up the cross products

(1m)(530N)sin40 - (.5m)(931N)sin90 = the wrong answer

I also tried replacing sin40 with sin50 thinking maybe that was the angle I should be using but it still doesn't give me the correct answer. That's as far as I made it with that question before moving onto the next one which also stumped me :)b) a 5.5 kg ring spun on a shaft with 75 N of friction at the axle.

diameter of shaft = 8.5 cm
diameter of ring = 36 cm

the picture shows a ring or wheel with a shaft through the center. there's a force arrow wrapping around the ring or wheel pointing to the right with 122 N.

Again I can't get the correct answer, I tried the same method as with the other problem... I'm not sure what I'm missing here.

rings radius is .18 m and the radius of the shaft is .0425 m.

so I did

(122 N)(.18 m)sin90 - (75 N)(.0425 m)sin90 = wrong answerCan anyone please give a nudge in the right direction, what am I missing? thank you!

- Otis

Physics news on Phys.org
I see why I had the wrong answer.. the answer sheet had errors. Sooo frustrating :D

I would say that you are on the right track with your calculations for both problems. However, there are a few things that may be causing you to get the wrong answer.

For the first problem, make sure you are using the correct angle for the force of 530 N. In the problem description, it says the force is pulling at 40 degrees from the vertical, below the horizontal. This means that the angle you should be using is 90-40=50 degrees. Also, when calculating the torque for the force at the 3 m mark, you need to consider the distance from the pivot point to the point where the force is applied, which in this case is 1 m. So the correct calculation would be:

(1m)(530N)sin50 - (1.5m)(931N)sin90 = 0.82 Nm

For the second problem, make sure you are using the correct angle for the force of 122 N. In this case, the force is acting tangentially to the ring, so the angle you should use is 90 degrees. Also, when calculating the torque for the friction force, you need to consider the distance from the pivot point to the center of the ring, which is 0.18 m. So the correct calculation would be:

(0.18m)(122N)sin90 - (0.0425m)(75N)sin90 = 2.61 Nm

I hope this helps and good luck with your calculations! Remember to always double check your angles and distances to ensure you are using the correct values.

Related to Net Torque Calculation: Beam & Ring

1. What is net torque?

Net torque is the measure of the rotational force acting on an object. It is calculated by multiplying the magnitude of the force by the distance from the axis of rotation to the point where the force is applied.

2. How do you calculate net torque for a beam?

To calculate net torque for a beam, you need to determine the perpendicular distance from the axis of rotation to each force acting on the beam. Then, multiply each force by its respective distance and add up all the torques. The final value is the net torque.

3. What is the equation for net torque calculation for a ring?

The equation for net torque calculation for a ring is T = Fr, where T is the torque, F is the force, and r is the radius of the ring.

4. What is the difference between positive and negative net torque?

A positive net torque indicates that the rotational force is in the same direction as the rotation, while a negative net torque indicates that the force is in the opposite direction. A positive net torque causes an object to rotate clockwise, while a negative net torque causes it to rotate counterclockwise.

5. How does the distribution of forces affect net torque?

The distribution of forces affects net torque as the distance from the axis of rotation to the point of application of the force increases, the net torque also increases. This means that the further the force is from the axis of rotation, the greater the rotational force acting on the object.