Net External Force in a Direction

In summary, the net external force in the x-direction is the difference between the forces acting to the right and the forces acting to the left, which in this case is 24.5 N.
Smiley.Teddy

Homework Statement

A crate is pulled to the right with a force of 92.3 N, to the left with a force of 116.8 N, upward with a force of 508.8 N, and downward with a force of 248. 6 N
What is the net external force in the x direction? Answer in units of N

Homework Equations

When I solved for the Y-Direction I simply subtracted the upward force from the downward force and got the answer correct. I don't know what to do for the x-direction.

The Attempt at a Solution

X direction: I attempted these:
-92.3N-116.8N = -209.1
116.8N-92.3N = 24.5
116.8N^2+92.3N^2 and then square root that answer to get = 148. 867...

Please help me understand what it is that I'm doing wrong. Thank you. =]

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hi Smiley.Teddy ! Welcome to PF! :smile:
Smiley.Teddy said:
A crate is pulled to the right with a force of 92.3 N, to the left with a force of 116.8 N, upward with a force of 508.8 N, and downward with a force of 248. 6 N
What is the net external force in the x direction? Answer in units of N

When I solved for the Y-Direction I simply subtracted the upward force from the downward force and got the answer correct. I don't know what to do for the x-direction.

(why did you think they might be different? :confused:)

For the x-direction, just do exactly what you did for the y-direction. :smile:

I would like to clarify that the net external force in a specific direction is the vector sum of all the external forces acting on an object in that direction. This means that we need to take into account both the magnitude and direction of each force.

In this case, we have four forces acting on the crate in the x-direction: 92.3 N to the right, 116.8 N to the left, 508.8 N upward, and 248.6 N downward. To find the net external force in the x-direction, we need to add the forces to the right and subtract the forces to the left:

Net external force in the x-direction = 92.3 N - 116.8 N = -24.5 N

Note that the negative sign indicates that the net external force is acting to the left. This means that the forces to the left are greater than the forces to the right, resulting in a net force in the opposite direction.

I hope this helps clarify the concept of net external force in a specific direction. Keep in mind that it is important to consider both the magnitude and direction of each force when calculating the net external force.

Related to Net External Force in a Direction

1. What is net external force in a direction?

Net external force in a direction refers to the overall force acting on an object in a specific direction. It takes into account all the individual forces acting on the object and their respective directions.

2. How is net external force in a direction calculated?

The net external force in a direction is calculated by adding together all the individual forces acting on an object in that direction. It can be calculated using the formula Fnet = F1 + F2 + F3 + ... where Fnet is the net external force and F1, F2, F3, etc. are the individual forces.

3. What is the significance of net external force in a direction?

The net external force in a direction is significant because it determines the direction and magnitude of an object's motion. If the net external force is zero, the object will remain at rest or continue to move at a constant velocity. If the net external force is not zero, the object will accelerate in the direction of the net force.

4. How does friction affect net external force in a direction?

Friction is a force that opposes motion and acts in the opposite direction of an object's motion. It can decrease the net external force in a direction, as it acts in the opposite direction of the object's intended motion. However, friction can also increase the net external force if it acts in the same direction as the object's motion.

5. Can net external force in a direction be negative?

Yes, net external force in a direction can be negative. This indicates that the overall force acting on an object is in the opposite direction of the desired motion. It can result in a decrease in the object's velocity or even a change in direction.