Negotiating a Bend: What is the Role of Inertia?

• Thread starter Starwanderer1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Bend
In summary, the conversation discusses the physics of a vehicle taking a turn around a bend. The initial misconception of the vehicle bending inwards is later corrected by the mathematics of the problem. The conversation then delves into the behavior of bikers around a bend and how it differs from cars due to the total force and the rotating frame. The role of inertia of direction is also mentioned as a factor in this situation. However, it is noted that the total force must go through the track of the vehicle to prevent it from rolling or falling over.
Starwanderer1
Hi there!

When I had first learned about the situation of a vehicle taking a turn around a bend, I was quick to conclude that the vehicle would bend inwards (towards the center of the circular path) as I had the image of the MotoGP racers who bend to the extremes to negotiate sharp bends. But I was later satisfied by the mathematics of the problem which showed clearly that reality is just the opposite..

But my initial doubts still remain.. What about the bikers..?
Even I have noticed this effect while riding. Though the classroom derivation was about 4 wheelers probably (we imagined a bending street and the back of a car that was about to take the turn, the normal reaction could only be zero on the "inner" wheel), but out on the streets it would be absurd to think that the physics of the bike and the car around the bend is different..
Where am I getting it wrong?(Physics can't be different that way).
Is the Inertia of Direction factor playing a greater role for the bike than the car? Well why so..?
(Is the center of gravity of the car situated lower than that of the bike in a horizontal frame? If so then what bout a truck carrying 9 elephants? Where would the center of gravity be in such a case? In which direction will it turn in this problem? Or does this location of center of gravity really matter in this case?)

Ideas Please...

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Starwanderer1! :smile:

The car can stay level because it has two lines of wheels, but the bike has to stay in line with the total force (in the rider's rotating frame).

The driver of the car has a rotating frame and experiences gravity downward, and a "fictitious" centrifugal force outward: total force out-and-down, he's sitting on a horizontal surface, so he will slide outward.

The rider of the bike experiences the same forces, and the same total force, but in his case, he's sitting on a surface that is perpendicular to the total force (otherwise the bike will fall over), so he won't slide. :wink:

tiny-tim,
I get the fact that if the bike would have behaved like the car then it would fall over. But even the biker is in a rotating frame. So he too would experience a centrifugal force. Further if I make a bike with extra wide wheels (it's still a bike, it still has one row of wheels, just it looks wierd), what would be it's behaviour? What do you think about the role of inertia of direction in this situation..?

For a car not to roll, the net force must lie within the track of the vehicle. For a bike not to fall over, the force has to be almost exactly through a line through the contact points of the two wheels.

Starwanderer1 said:
But even the biker is in a rotating frame. So he too would experience a centrifugal force. Further if I make a bike with extra wide wheels (it's still a bike, it still has one row of wheels, just it looks wierd), what would be it's behaviour?

Yes, and that centrifugal force is the same as in the car.

But remember, he won't feel the centrifugal force individually, he'll only feel the total force on him.

And in both cases, as sophiecentaur :smile: says, the total force must go through the track of the vehicle.

At normal speeds, the bike wheel would have to be very wide for that to work with the bike staying vertical.

Of course, if it did stay vertical, the total force on him would have a sideways component, and he would tend to slide on the seat.
What do you think about the role of inertia of direction in this situation..?

what do you mean? :confused:

Related to Negotiating a Bend: What is the Role of Inertia?

1. What is inertia?

Inertia is an object's tendency to resist changes in its state of motion. It is directly related to an object's mass, with larger objects having greater inertia.

2. How does inertia play a role in negotiating a bend?

Inertia plays a major role in negotiating a bend as it determines the amount of force needed to change an object's direction. When an object is moving in a straight line, it will continue to move in that direction unless acted upon by an external force. In the case of a bend, the object's inertia will cause it to resist changing its direction, requiring a greater force to make the turn.

3. Can inertia be manipulated during a bend?

Yes, inertia can be manipulated during a bend by altering the direction and magnitude of the external forces acting on the object. For example, turning the steering wheel of a car in the opposite direction of the bend will create a greater external force that can overcome the object's inertia and change its direction.

4. How does speed affect inertia during a bend?

Speed has a direct effect on inertia during a bend. The greater the speed of an object, the greater its inertia will be. This means that a faster-moving object will require a greater force to change its direction during a bend compared to a slower-moving object.

5. Are there any other factors that can impact inertia during a bend?

Yes, aside from speed, the mass of the object and the shape of the bend can also impact inertia. Objects with a larger mass will have a greater inertia, making it more difficult to change their direction during a bend. The shape of the bend can also affect the inertia as a sharper bend will require a greater change in direction, thus requiring a greater force to overcome inertia.