Negative volume using washer method

In summary, the washer method is a mathematical technique used to find the volume of a solid with a negative volume. It involves slicing the solid into thin discs and using the difference between the inner and outer radii of each disc to calculate the volume. The formula for negative volume using the washer method is derived from the formula for finding the volume of a solid of revolution using the disk method, with the only difference being the inner radius being greater than the outer radius. It can only be used for finding the volume of solids of revolution, and the thickness of the slices used can affect the accuracy of the calculation. Some real-world applications include calculating the volume of objects with hollow spaces and solving problems in physics and calculus.
terryds

Homework Statement

What is the volume of a solid formed by the area trapped between y= -x^2 and y= -2x rotated 360° around x-axis?

Homework Equations

V = ∫A(x)dx

The Attempt at a Solution

y=y
-x^2 = -2x
x^2 -2x = 0
x(x-2) = 0

This means that the two functions cross at x = 0 and x = 2
From x = 0 to x = 2 , y = -x^2 will be the upper bound

So, the volume is
## V = \pi \int_{0}^{2}((-x^2)^2-(-2x)^2))dx = \pi \int_{0}^{2}(x^4 - 4x^2)dx = \pi \left [ \frac{1}{5}x^5-\frac{4}{3}x^3 \right ]^2_0 = \pi (\frac{32}{5}-\frac{32}{3})=-4\frac{4}{15}\pi ##

Why do I get negative sign?? What's wrong??

Physics news on Phys.org
Because x(x-2) is negative in your specified interval. x^2 is the lower curve!

Orodruin said:
Because x(x-2) is negative in your specified interval. x^2 is the lower curve!
So, to determine which one is upper, we need to see which one is at the top at y positive area (by visualizing rotating it) ?
In other words,
if y < 0 then the upper bound is actually the bottom curve and the lower bound is the top one ??
if y > 0, we just see which one at the top/bottom to decide which one is upper/lower bound..

Is it right?

terryds said:
So, to determine which one is upper, we need to see which one is at the top at y positive area (by visualizing rotating it) ?
In other words,
if y < 0 then the upper bound is actually the bottom curve and the lower bound is the top one ??
if y > 0, we just see which one at the top/bottom to decide which one is upper/lower bound..

Is it right?
I don't think -x^2 is the bottom function, but make sure you understand what solid is being formed when you rotate R around the x-axis. Look at one arbitrary x-value and see what happens when you rotate it around the x-axis, and first see what kind of solid you get.

Likes terryds
terryds said:
In other words,

Is it right?
This is more complicated than it needs to be. Because you're squaring the y-values, the squared y-value on the line is larger than the squared y-value on the parabola, so your integral should be ##\int_0^2 (-2x)^2 - (-x^2)^2 dx## to produce a reasonable (i.e., nonnegative) volume.

The region being revolved is equal in area to the region defined by the curves ##y = x^2## and y = 2x, and would make for a simpler integral.

Likes terryds and Thewindyfan
Mark44 said:
This is more complicated than it needs to be. Because you're squaring the y-values, the squared y-value on the line is larger than the squared y-value on the parabola, so your integral should be ##\int_0^2 (-2x)^2 - (-x^2)^2 dx## to produce a reasonable (i.e., nonnegative) volume.

The region being revolved is equal in area to the region defined by the curves ##y = x^2## and y = 2x, and would make for a simpler integral.
I looked at this incorrectly earlier but I think the OP's mistake was that you had y =-2x be the bottom function instead of the top function.
The easiest way to tell which function is on top of which for problems like these, since that's probably the only challenging part of these problems for most people when it comes to graphing and seeing how the area looks like, is to plug in values between the two points that the curves intersect. Be especially wary about how the area between two curves looks when you have some function like sin or cosine, because you can end up with two integrals if the two curves switch in their orientation to each other (i.e. from 0 to π/4, cos(x) is above sin(x) but from π/4 to π/2, sin(x) is above cos(x)).

Thewindyfan said:
I looked at this incorrectly earlier but I think the OP's mistake was that you had y =-2x be the bottom function instead of the top function.
y = -2x is the "bottom" function relative to ##y = -x^2##. However, once you square both of these, then ##(-x^2)^2 \le (-2x)^2## on the interval in question.
Thewindyfan said:
The easiest way to tell which function is on top of which for problems like these, since that's probably the only challenging part of these problems for most people when it comes to graphing and seeing how the area looks like, is to plug in values between the two points that the curves intersect. Be especially wary about how the area between two curves looks when you have some function like sin or cosine, because you can end up with two integrals if the two curves switch in their orientation to each other (i.e. from 0 to π/4, cos(x) is above sin(x) but from π/4 to π/2, sin(x) is above cos(x)).
The simplest thing to do, IMO, for problems such as the one in this thread, is to work with the functions reflected across the x-axis. The area of the region being revolved is the same, and you don't have the complication of figuring out which function is on the bottom.

Likes terryds
Mark44 said:
The simplest thing to do, IMO, for problems such as the one in this thread, is to work with the functions reflected across the x-axis. The area of the region being revolved is the same, and you don't have the complication of figuring out which function is on the bottom.

I agree with this, I did so without even mentioning it, which is why x^2 is my bottom function. The easier way of looking at this is to consider the volume as the difference between two rotational volumes. It then becomes very clear which is which.

Likes terryds

Related to Negative volume using washer method

1. What is the washer method for finding negative volume?

The washer method is a mathematical technique used to find the volume of a solid with a negative volume. It involves slicing the solid into thin discs and then using the difference between the inner and outer radii of each disc to calculate the volume.

2. How is the formula for negative volume using the washer method derived?

The formula for negative volume using the washer method is derived from the formula for finding the volume of a solid of revolution using the disk method. The only difference is that the inner radius is greater than the outer radius in the case of negative volume, resulting in a negative value for volume.

3. Can the washer method be used for any shape?

No, the washer method can only be used for finding the volume of solids of revolution, which are shapes formed by rotating a 2D shape around an axis. Examples of solids of revolution include spheres, cylinders, and cones.

4. How does the thickness of the slices affect the accuracy of the negative volume calculation?

The thickness of the slices used in the washer method can affect the accuracy of the negative volume calculation. The thinner the slices, the closer the calculated volume will be to the actual volume of the solid. However, using extremely thin slices can be time-consuming and impractical, so a balance must be struck between accuracy and efficiency.

5. What are some real-world applications of the washer method for negative volume?

The washer method for negative volume has many real-world applications, such as calculating the volume of objects with hollow spaces, like donut-shaped objects or hollow pipes. It is also used in engineering and architecture to determine the volume of complex structures. Additionally, the washer method is used in physics and calculus to solve problems involving changing rates and volumes.