Negative sign in hopping amplitude

In summary, the minus sign in the hopping amplitude indicates that the energy of the wave is being lowered. This is significant for the tight binding model, where it determines the minimum energy orbital.
hbaromega
Might be a naive question.

In many places, specially in the Hubbard model, people use a minus sign before the tight-binding hopping amplitude. What does the negative sign signify for? Any special intention?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
The hopping amplitude is something like [tex] \langle\phi_j| T_\mathrm{kin}|\phi_i\rangle [/tex], hence it's sign is well defined although there is a certain arbitrariness in the choice of the phase of the phi_i.

DrDu said:
The hopping amplitude is something like [tex] \langle\phi_j| T_\mathrm{kin}|\phi_i\rangle [/tex], hence it's sign is well defined although there is a certain arbitrariness in the choice of the phase of the phi_i.

That's true. But there must be a meaning for keeping this minus sign. I have seen Hubbard's original paper. Surprisingly that paper does not have this minus sign!

If the sign is just a matter of convention, then why unnecessarily an extra minus was chosen as a convention?

Thanks.

No, it is not just a convention, it makes a real physical difference, at least in lattices where you cannot consistently number neighbouring atoms as 1 or 2. A simple example is azulene in the Hueckel model (which is basically the Hubbard model in quantum chemistry)

DrDu said:
No, it is not just a convention, it makes a real physical difference, at least in lattices where you cannot consistently number neighbouring atoms as 1 or 2. A simple example is azulene in the Hueckel model (which is basically the Hubbard model in quantum chemistry)

Sorry. Still not clear to me. What if I write

$t_{ij}$ instead of $-t_{ij}$ in the kinetic part of the Hubbard Hamiltonian?

Does it make any difference? If yes, then what difference?

@DrDu

Sorry, the latex didn't work! I guess, you could follow the notation.

And I think, the Huckel model and the tight-binding model are equivalent. Hopping from one site to other site is similar to hopping from one orbital to another orbital.

Consider the infinite U limit. Here the electrons are frozen at the lattice sites because the U prohibits double occupancy, even as a virtual state. Now if you tune U to a finite value then electrons start hopping in the process getting delocalized, thus lowering its energy.

The sign of t captures this lowering of energy.

P.S. : I can't seem to construct an argument as to why delocalization would lower the energy :(

At large U, t can be taken into account perturbationally. As t is non-diagonal, it can make a contribution beginning with second order which will be proportional to t^2/(-U). Hence it is negative (stabilizing) and does not depend on the sign of t.
However, when going around a ring with an odd number of atoms, the sign does matter in higher orders, e.g. for a ring of three atoms the you get a contribution t_12*t_23*t_31/(-U)^2. For simple orbitals, like hydrogen 1s, t is negative, typically, whence these terms lead to a stabilization.

hbaromega said:
Might be a naive question.

In many places, specially in the Hubbard model, people use a minus sign before the tight-binding hopping amplitude. What does the negative sign signify for? Any special intention?

Thanks.
The sign of t is significant. For example in tight binding model it determines where is the minimum energy orbital: at k=0 or at k=Pi/2

Let us for example consider polymer of atoms with s atomic valent orbital. It is evident,that k=0 (LCAO) orbital has minimum energy.
If we take polymer of atoms with p atomic orbital we get minimum energy orbital with |k|=Pi/2

LCAO: Linear Combination of Atomic Orbitals

I can recommend the book of Nobel Prize winner in chemistry:
Roald Hoffmann, Solids and surfaces: A Chemist's View of bonding in extended structures, 1988
pages: 4-9

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Negative sign in hopping amplitude

1. What is a negative sign in hopping amplitude?

A negative sign in hopping amplitude refers to the direction of electron transfer between two neighboring atoms in a solid material. It indicates that the electron is hopping from a lower energy state to a higher energy state, which is the opposite direction of a positive sign in hopping amplitude.

2. How does a negative sign in hopping amplitude affect the properties of a material?

A negative sign in hopping amplitude can have a significant impact on the electronic and magnetic properties of a material. It can lead to a decrease in conductivity and an increase in the stability of a material. It can also affect the magnetic ordering and spin polarization of a material.

3. What is the difference between a positive and negative sign in hopping amplitude?

The main difference between a positive and negative sign in hopping amplitude is the direction of electron transfer. A positive sign indicates that the electron is hopping from a higher energy state to a lower energy state, while a negative sign indicates the opposite direction. This can have a significant impact on the properties of a material, as mentioned in the previous question.

4. How is the negative sign in hopping amplitude related to the band structure of a material?

The negative sign in hopping amplitude is closely related to the band structure of a material. It affects the energy levels and the band gap of a material, which play a crucial role in determining its electronic and magnetic properties. A negative sign can lead to a decrease in the band gap and an increase in the band width, resulting in changes in the material's properties.

5. Can a negative sign in hopping amplitude be controlled or manipulated?

Yes, a negative sign in hopping amplitude can be controlled and manipulated through various means, such as altering the crystal structure, applying external electric or magnetic fields, or introducing impurities in the material. These methods can change the strength and direction of the hopping amplitude, providing a way to tune and control the properties of a material.