Negative Exponent Explained: 300 cm-1 Meaning

In summary, the use of a negative exponent, such as 300 cm-1, in scientific literature is equivalent to the expression \frac{1}{cm}. This is commonly used in measurements of frequency, particularly in the field of quantum physics. It is not a measure of physical distance, but rather a measure of the difference in energy between two modes of vibration of a pair of atoms, known as the wavenumber. This concept is proportional to the reciprocal of the wavelength and is important in various fields of science.
Drakkith
Mentor
I've seen the use of a negative exponent in the books and articles I've been reading lately, and I was wondering exactly what it meant. Such as 300 cm-1, where cm has a -1 as the exponent. (Dont know how to type that out.) What does it mean?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
It means the same thing as [itex]\frac{1}{cm}[/itex]. For instance, [itex]3m s^{-1}[/itex] means the same thing as [itex]3\frac{m}{s}[/itex]

Hrmm. I just read something where the distance between two atoms was 3000 cm-1. Surely that can't be 3000 over 1?

That can't be right for a distance. Can you give the exact sentence?

Sure, here it is.

"Since both rotational and vibrational motions are simultaneously occurring in the diatomic, the energy level scheme for two adjacent vibration levels (spaced, say, 3000 cm-1 apart) where ca. 10 cm-1 in the two states, would be as shown in Fig. 1."

From the article here: http://www.chem.ufl.edu/~itl/4411L_f00/hcl/hcl_il.html

Edit: Copy and Pasting didn't keep the exponents like they were in the article, as they now look like I typed it out.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, it's not a measurement of the physical distance between atoms, it's a measure of the difference in frequency between the radiation emitted by two modes of vibration of the pair of atoms. This measurement is called the "wavenumber":
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wavenumber
The higher the wavenumber, the higher the energy of the vibration.

Ah, ok. That makes perfect sense now. I've been reading some things on quantum physics and such, and I had never seen that before. Thanks!

Drakkith said:
Sure, here it is.

"Since both rotational and vibrational motions are simultaneously occurring in the diatomic, the energy level scheme for two adjacent vibration levels (spaced, say, 3000 cm-1 apart) where ca. 10 cm-1 in the two states, would be as shown in Fig. 1."

From the article here: http://www.chem.ufl.edu/~itl/4411L_f00/hcl/hcl_il.html

Edit: Copy and Pasting didn't keep the exponents like they were in the article, as they now look like I typed it out.

It's used for the wavenumber, which is proportional to the reciprocal of the wavelength (which is measured in cm). Why wavenumbers are important isn't a question I could answer. I forgot a lot of physics. =(

Euler beat me!

Last edited by a moderator:
gb7nash said:

It's used for the wavenumber, which is proportional to the reciprocal of the wavelength (which is measured in cm). Why wavenumbers are important isn't a question I could answer. I forgot a lot of physics. =(

Euler beat me!

Thanks to you too nash. =)

Related to Negative Exponent Explained: 300 cm-1 Meaning

1. What does "300 cm-1" mean?

The "300 cm-1" notation represents a negative exponent in scientific notation. It is commonly used to express small or large numbers in a more compact form. In this case, the negative exponent indicates a value that is 10-1 times smaller than the base unit of measurement, which is 1 cm.

2. How is a negative exponent interpreted in scientific notation?

A negative exponent in scientific notation represents a value that is smaller than 1. For example, if we have 10-2, it means 1 divided by 10 squared, which is equivalent to 0.01. This notation is used to express very small values, such as in measurements of subatomic particles or wavelengths of light.

3. What is the significance of the number "300" in "300 cm-1"?

The number "300" represents the magnitude or size of the value being expressed. In this case, it is 300 times smaller than 1 cm. It is important to note that the number itself does not have a unit of measurement, as it is simply a numerical value used in conjunction with the base unit.

4. Can a negative exponent be applied to units other than distance?

Yes, negative exponents can be used with any unit of measurement, such as time, mass, or temperature. For example, 10-3 kg would represent a mass 1000 times smaller than 1 kg. The use of negative exponents allows for more precise and concise representation of values in scientific notation.

5. How is "300 cm-1" typically used in science?

In science, "300 cm-1" is commonly used to express the wavenumber of a specific type of electromagnetic radiation, such as infrared or Raman spectra. It is also used in other areas of science, such as in spectroscopy or quantum mechanics, to represent the energy of a system. Understanding and interpreting negative exponents is essential for accurately analyzing and communicating scientific data and measurements.