Definition of a polynomial? and degree? integral and ration

In summary: R##.from the above passage, we can see that a polynomial is a function in one variable x, where the coefficients a_0, a_1, ... a_n are elements of the set R, which is usually a ring or a field. The degree of the polynomial is the highest exponent of the variable x in the function, and it can be determined by adding up all the exponents of the variables in the polynomial. The book does not give a specific definition of integral or rational, but we can assume that integral means that the variables have integer exponents, and rational means that
Kilo Vectors
Hello

What is the standard definition of a polynomial? according to the book I am using a polynomial is an algebraic expression which is integral and rational for all the terms.

It gives no definition of integral or rational seperately, but I think integral means that the variables are to powers of integers and not fractions such that a/b and b=/= 1 basically non whole numbers

What does rational mean?

And the degree of a polynomial? Schaumms outline says it is the sum of all the exponents of variables. But my school taught that its the value of the variable with greatest exponent.

Dont know if thread belongs here. Sorry if wrong section.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Kilo Vectors said:
Hello

What is the standard definition of a polynomial? according to the book I am using a polynomial is an algebraic expression which is integral and rational for all the terms.

It gives no definition of integral or rational seperately, but I think integral means that the variables are to powers of integers and not fractions such that a/b and b=/= 1 basically non whole numbers

What does rational mean?

And the degree of a polynomial? Schaumms outline says it is the sum of all the exponents of variables. But my school taught that its the value of the variable with greatest exponent.

Dont know if thread belongs here. Sorry if wrong section.
A polynomial ##p## in one variable ##x## over a set ##R## is a function ##p(x) = a_n x^n + a_{n-1} x^{n-1} + ... + a_2 x^2 + a_1 x + a_0## where all ##a_n, ... , a_0 \in R##.
##R## is usually a special form of set, called a ring or a field. ℤ is the ring of integers, ℚ the field of rational numbers, and ℝ the real numbers.
If ℤ is meant you can say polynomial over the integers (not integral) and if ℚ is meant you can say polynomial over the rationals or polynomial with rational coefficients. Coefficients are the ##a_i##.
And you are right, ##n## is the degree of the polynomial. However, if you have more than one variable, say ##x## and ##y## and the highest term is, e.g. ##x^3 y^5## then the degree of the polynomial is ##8##.

Likes Kilo Vectors
To be clear, a "rational" number is one which can be expressed as the ratio of two integers p and q, such that the rational number r = p / q, where q ≠ 0.

Since q can equal 1, then the set of integers is a subset of the set of rational numbers.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rational_number

Likes Kilo Vectors
SteamKing said:
To be clear, a "rational" number is one which can be expressed as the ratio of two integers p and q, such that the rational number r = p / q, where q ≠ 0.

Since q can equal 1, then the set of integers is a subset of the set of rational numbers.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rational_number

Hello Mr Steam, well first off thank you for answering. I know what rational numbers are but I am not sure that is what the book means when it refers to them. In fact it says all terms are rational and integral, so I have no idea what a rational variable is? I think Mr Fresh post solved my question though.

fresh_42 said:
A polynomial ##p## in one variable ##x## over a set ##R## is a function ##p(x) = a_n x^n + a_{n-1} x^{n-1} + ... + a_2 x^2 + a_1 x + a_0## where all ##a_n, ... , a_0 \in R##.
##R## is usually a special form of set, called a ring or a field. ℤ is the ring of integers, ℚ the field of rational numbers, and ℝ the real numbers.
If ℤ is meant you can say polynomial over the integers (not integral) and if ℚ is meant you can say polynomial over the rationals or polynomial with rational coefficients. Coefficients are the ##a_i##.
And you are right, ##n## is the degree of the polynomial. However, if you have more than one variable, say ##x## and ##y## and the highest term is, e.g. ##x^3 y^5## then the degree of the polynomial is ##8##.

Hi Mr Fresh, first of thank you so much for taking the time to answer so elaborately. I very much appreciate it..Ok I think I understand.

Kilo Vectors said:
Hello Mr Steam, well first off thank you for answering. I know what rational numbers are but I am not sure that is what the book means when it refers to them. In fact it says all terms are rational and integral, so I have no idea what a rational variable is?
I don't know what that means, either. Can you provide a direct quote from your textbook, without paraphrasing it? Better yet, if you could upload a scan of the passage which defines the term "polynomial" from your text.

SteamKing said:
I don't know what that means, either. Can you provide a direct quote from your textbook, without paraphrasing it? Better yet, if you could upload a scan of the passage which defines the term "polynomial" from your text.
Yes I will. Just wait one or two minutes while I arrange this

hih787g.png

SteamKing said:
here I posted it above thank you. My knowledge is very poor in maths so I am just starting from the basics.

fresh_42 said:
here I posted it above thank you. My knowledge is very poor in maths so I am just starting from the basics.

Kilo Vectors said:
hih787g.png
Thanks for making an image of this passage.

I see what the author has tried to do here. In the middle of the passage, he states, "A term is integral and rational in certain literals (letters which represent numbers) if the term consists of
(a) positive integer powers of the variables multiplied by a factor not containing any variable, or
(b) no variable at all."

A better statement would be that the variables in the terms of a polynomial all have integer powers, while the multiplicative coefficients are all rational numbers. Zero is an integer power, therefore, a constant term which is not multiplied by any variable can also be present in a polynomial.

Likes Kilo Vectors
SteamKing said:
Thanks for making an image of this passage.

I see what the author has tried to do here. In the middle of the passage, he states, "A term is integral and rational in certain literals (letters which represent numbers) if the term consists of
(a) positive integer powers of the variables multiplied by a factor not containing any variable, or
(b) no variable at all."

A better statement would be that the variables in the terms of a polynomial all have integer powers, while the multiplicative coefficients are all rational numbers. Zero is an integer power, therefore, a constant term which is not multiplied by any variable can also be present in a polynomial.

Ah now it makes sense..very well put. Thank you so much.

Related to Definition of a polynomial? and degree? integral and ration

What is a polynomial?

A polynomial is a mathematical expression that consists of variables and coefficients, combined using addition, subtraction, and multiplication. It can also include exponents, but not division or square roots. Examples of polynomials include 3x^2 + 5x + 2 and -2y^3 + 7xy + 1.

What is the degree of a polynomial?

The degree of a polynomial is the highest exponent that appears on the variable in the expression. For example, the polynomial 3x^2 + 5x + 2 has a degree of 2, while the polynomial -2y^3 + 7xy + 1 has a degree of 3.

What is an integral of a polynomial?

An integral of a polynomial is the inverse operation of differentiation. It is a mathematical concept that represents the area under a curve formed by the polynomial function. Integrals are used to calculate displacement, velocity, acceleration, and other properties of objects in motion.

What is a rational function?

A rational function is a mathematical function that can be expressed as the quotient of two polynomials. It is also known as a rational expression. Examples of rational functions include (x+2)/(x^2+3x+2) and (3x^2+5)/(x+1).