Need to find velocity of an object I pushed off a table

In summary, a 100g object is pushed across a table and falls 1m to the floor, landing 30 cm from the edge of the table. With a coefficient of friction of 0.5, the object's initial speed can be calculated using the equations f=ma, Sf=Si+Vi*(delta)t+1/2a*(delta)t^2, and Vf=Vi+a*t. The force exerted and height of the table are also needed to accurately calculate the speed.
Coronita
You push a 100g object across a table and release it 2 m from the edge. The object slides across, sails off the edge falls 1m to the floor and lands 30 cm from the edge of the table. If the coefficient of friction is 0.5 what was the object's speed as you released it?

f=ma

Sf= Si+Vi* (delta)t+ 1/2a*(delta)t^2

Vf=Vi+a*t

Since I know how far it went horizontally and I'm given the mass I'm thinking I should be able to find the force it was pushed with and use that to find the acceleration? Does knowing how much force it's exerting down on the table help me? Not really sure how to get started :/

Physics news on Phys.org
i have 2 physics quizzes this week and it would be the week my tutor's going to be out of town >_<

if anyone answers plese send it to me as a message, I am off to work now

Don't you need to know the height of the table?

I would first gather all the relevant information and data from the given scenario. This includes the mass of the object (100g), the distance it was pushed (2m), the height it fell (1m), and the distance it landed from the edge (30 cm). I would also take note of the coefficient of friction (0.5) as it will affect the object's velocity.

Next, I would use the formula F=ma to calculate the force applied to the object when it was pushed. In this case, the force would be equal to the mass (0.1 kg) multiplied by the acceleration (which we will calculate later). This will give us the initial force at the moment of release.

To calculate the acceleration, we can use the formula Vf=Vi+a*t. We know the initial velocity (Vi) is 0, as the object was at rest before being pushed. We also know the final velocity (Vf) is equal to the object's speed when it reached the edge of the table, which we are trying to find. The time (t) can be calculated by dividing the horizontal distance (2m) by the object's initial velocity (0m/s), which would be the time it took to reach the edge of the table.

Now, we can use the formula Sf= Si+Vi* (delta)t+ 1/2a*(delta)t^2 to calculate the final position of the object. The initial position (Si) is 0m, as the object started at the edge of the table. The final position (Sf) is 30cm, as the object landed 30cm from the edge. The time (delta t) would be the same as calculated before.

Using these calculations, we can find the acceleration and then use it to calculate the initial force. From there, we can use the formula F=ma again to find the object's speed at the moment of release.

In conclusion, knowing the distance the object was pushed, the height it fell, and the distance it landed from the edge, along with the mass and coefficient of friction, we can use various formulas and calculations to find the object's speed at the moment of release. As a scientist, it is important to gather all the necessary information and use scientific principles and formulas to accurately determine the velocity of an object.

Related to Need to find velocity of an object I pushed off a table

1. How do I calculate the velocity of an object pushed off a table?

To calculate the velocity of an object pushed off a table, you will need to measure the distance the object traveled and the time it took to travel that distance. Then, you can use the formula velocity = distance/time to find the velocity.

2. What units should I use for measuring distance and time?

You can use any units for measuring distance and time as long as they are consistent. For example, you can use meters for distance and seconds for time, or you can use feet for distance and minutes for time. Just make sure to use the same units for both measurements when calculating velocity.

3. Is the velocity of an object pushed off a table constant?

No, the velocity of an object pushed off a table is not constant. It will change as the object moves due to factors such as air resistance and friction. However, if these factors are negligible, the velocity may remain relatively constant.

4. Can I use an accelerometer to measure the velocity of an object pushed off a table?

Yes, an accelerometer can be used to measure the velocity of an object pushed off a table. It measures acceleration, which can be used to calculate velocity. However, the accuracy of the measurement may depend on the sensitivity and precision of the accelerometer.

5. How can I increase the accuracy of my velocity calculation?

To increase the accuracy of your velocity calculation, make sure to take multiple measurements and calculate the average velocity. You can also reduce any external factors that may affect the object's velocity, such as air resistance or friction. Additionally, using more precise measuring tools can also improve the accuracy of your calculation.