Calculating Marble's Fall from a Table Height

In summary, a marble is rolled down a ramp and falls off a table, hitting a barrier 0.15 m from the edge of the table. Using the equations d = (Vi)(t) + 1/2(a)(t)^2 and s=ut+0.5a(t^2), the height at which the marble hits the barrier can be calculated as 0.34 m from the ground.
rr96

Homework Statement

A marble is accelerated to a horizontal velocity of 0.50 m/s by rolling it down a small ramp. The marble rolls off the table, which is 0.78 m high. As it falls, it hits a barrier on the way down. If the barrier is 0.15 m from the edge of the table, at what height from the ground, h, will the marble hit the barrier?

Homework Equations

d = (Vi)(t) + 1/2(a)t/2

Vf =Vi + at

(Vf)2 = (Vi)2 + 2ad

The Attempt at a Solution

I wasn't really sure how to start it, but first I found the time it would take for the marble to fall off the table:

Using vertical components:

d = (Vi)(t) + 1/2(a)(t)2
-0.78 = (0)(t) + (1/2)(-9.8)t2
-0.78 = -4.9t2
t = 0.40s

I don't know if that ^ is right, and I'm not really sure what I should do next. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
You know how far the barrier is from the edge of the table. If the marble is traveling 0.5 m/s horizontally when it leaves the edge, how long will it take the marble to cross the gap between the edge and the barrier? How far does the marble fall in this amount of time?

Likes 1 person
That would be the time taken to hit the floor not the barrier.

Have a look at what information the problem gives you about the horizontal components.

(cross posted with steamking)

Likes 1 person
I'll take downward as my positive direction. But first, I calculate the time it takes to reach the barrier: 0.15/0.5=0.3. Then my initial vertical velocity is zero, and the time of fall would be 0.3 s. I will take acceleration of free fall to be 9.81 m s^-2. Then displacement from top of the table = (initial velocity)(time of travel) + (0.5)(acceleration)(time)^2. That in symbols would be s=ut+0.5a(t^2). Then s = (0)(0.3)+(0.5)(9.81)(0.3^2). This comes out to be 0.44 m from the top of the table. Then height h would be 0.78-0.44 that would be 0.34. I hope that is right. =P

Likes 1 person
Should let the OP work it out.

Oh. I didn't know it worked like that. Sorry. I'll take care now.

Thanks everyone! This problem definitely wasn't as difficult once I properly identified vertical and horizontal components.

Likes berkeman

Related to Calculating Marble's Fall from a Table Height

1. How do you calculate the time it takes for a marble to fall from a table height?

To calculate the time it takes for a marble to fall from a table height, you can use the equation t = √(2h/g), where t is the time in seconds, h is the height in meters, and g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s²).

2. What is the acceleration due to gravity?

The acceleration due to gravity is a constant value of 9.8 meters per second squared (m/s²), which represents the rate at which objects accelerate towards the Earth's surface due to the force of gravity.

3. Can the mass of the marble affect its fall time?

Yes, the mass of the marble can affect its fall time. According to the equation t = √(2h/g), the fall time is independent of the mass of the object. However, in real-world scenarios, air resistance and other factors can affect the fall time, and the mass of the object can play a role in these factors.

4. How does air resistance affect the fall time of a marble?

Air resistance can slow down the fall time of a marble by exerting an upward force on the object as it falls. This force increases as the speed of the object increases, eventually reaching a point where it is equal to the force of gravity, resulting in a constant velocity or terminal velocity. This can affect the fall time of a marble by reducing its acceleration due to gravity.

5. Is the height of the table the only factor that affects the fall time of a marble?

No, the height of the table is not the only factor that affects the fall time of a marble. Other factors such as air resistance, mass of the marble, and any obstacles in the path of the marble can also affect its fall time. In a vacuum, where there is no air resistance, the height of the table would be the only factor affecting the fall time of a marble.