Need to find the volume of a 3d object

• Thread starter 619snake
  • Start date
  • Tags
    3d Volume
In summary, to find the largest volume package that the USPS will accept, we need to use the constraint that the length plus girth must be no more than 108 inches. With the assumption that the front face is square, we can write the volume as V = W^2 * L. Using the constraint, we can write the volume as a function of a single variable and then use the Lagrange multiplier method to find the maximum value. This involves finding the values of H/W and W/L that will maximize the volume, which leads to the solution of the problem.
619snake
I'm here again bothering you, I have this problem, but have no idea about how to start the problem solving:

Homework Statement

The USPS will accept packages only if the length plus girth is no more than 108 inches.
Assuming that the front face is square, what is the largest volume package that the USPS will accept?

I have attached a picture of the package that is shown on the problem.

I know that I have not attempted to do this problem, but as I explained, I just want to know how to start it, because the professor never explained a similar problem, he just did it with area and the volume of a box that needed to have some squares cut to use it as an open box

some formulas I know I need are:

g(girth) = 2(W + H)

V = L x W x H

that's all I know

please help =(

Attachments

• IMAGE_004.jpg
    IMAGE_004.jpg
    2.8 KB · Views: 417
Physics news on Phys.org
You have to write the defining equations as (assume you have the maximum length 108):

L + G = 108 => 2(W+H) + L =108

Now the real valued function you want to maximize is f(L,W,H) = L*W*H subject to the constraint 2(W+H) + L -108 =0. In this case you an you Lagrange multiplier method that is gradient(f) = a.gradient(constraint). Then this yields (WH, LH, LW) = a.(1, 2,2). From here you find WH = a, LH=2a, LW=2a => H/W = 2 and W/L = 1/2. From here you can find the solution.

619snake said:
I'm here again bothering you, I have this problem, but have no idea about how to start the problem solving:

Homework Statement

The USPS will accept packages only if the length plus girth is no more than 108 inches.
Assuming that the front face is square, what is the largest volume package that the USPS will accept?

I have attached a picture of the package that is shown on the problem.

I know that I have not attempted to do this problem, but as I explained, I just want to know how to start it, because the professor never explained a similar problem, he just did it with area and the volume of a box that needed to have some squares cut to use it as an open box

some formulas I know I need are:

g(girth) = 2(W + H)

V = L x W x H

that's all I know

please help =(

The goal here is to find the largest value of V, subject to the constraint that the length + girth is <= 108 ".

Given that the face of the box is a square, V = W2 * L. Use the constraint to write the volume as a function of a single variable. Then do what you would normally do to find the maximum value.

Thanks people, solved the problem :biggrin:

Related to Need to find the volume of a 3d object

What is the formula for finding the volume of a 3D object?

The formula for finding the volume of a 3D object depends on the shape of the object. For a cube or rectangular prism, the formula is length x width x height. For a cylinder, the formula is π x radius^2 x height. For a sphere, the formula is (4/3) x π x radius^3.

How do I measure the dimensions of a 3D object?

To find the volume of a 3D object, you will need to measure the length, width, and height of the object. You can use a ruler or measuring tape to measure the dimensions in either inches, centimeters, or any other unit of measurement.

Can the volume of a 3D object be negative?

No, the volume of a 3D object cannot be negative. Volume is a measurement of space and cannot have a negative value. If you get a negative value when calculating the volume of an object, you may have made a mistake in your measurements or calculations.

Do I need to use the same unit of measurement for all dimensions when calculating volume?

Yes, it is important to use the same unit of measurement for all dimensions when calculating volume. If you use different units, your final answer will not be accurate. Make sure to convert all measurements to the same unit before calculating the volume.

How can I use the volume of a 3D object in real-life situations?

The volume of a 3D object can be used in many real-life situations. For example, it can be used to calculate the amount of water a swimming pool can hold, the capacity of a shipping container, or the amount of space inside a box for packaging. It is also a useful concept in architecture and engineering for designing structures and objects with specific volume requirements.